Does shell come off when force dropped? Does screen get scratched without a screen protector

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
My turbo 2 has neither a screen protector or she'll case why does the newer phone require these extras sounds like a step backwards

The turbo 2 was supposed to battery last 48 hours and my experience I am luck to get 8 hours if I use it for a half hour over the eight. Can somebody who has had a turbo 2 try to assuage my fears on the Z2 force.?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I still have a Turbo 2 and a Z Force. Yes, the Style Shell might fall off if you drop your phone. It's only held on with magnets. Why would you want to put electrical tape on it to secure it? Sounds crazy to me. And why a new thread when we are already discussing this in another thread. The Style Shell is not a step backwards, it's an integral part of the Moto Mod ecosystem. If you have no interest in Moto Mods then use a TPU style case that covers the whole phone and keeps the pins protected. I personally don't see why people buy a Z phone and cover it in a case and never use Moto Mods, it was meant to use the Mods, but that's just my opinion. Or don't buy a Z 2 Force....it sounds like you are not crazy about it, so why waste money on a phone you might not like?

Have you gone to a Verizon store and held, used a Z Force?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
It's the only shattershield phone and I feel like I'm forced into it. My phone drops alot and because of that I am a fan of the shattershield and do not like the mods would never use em. When turbo 2 fully fails I don't have many options at this point

I posted in the z forum cause you mentioned it

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It's the only shattershield phone and I feel like I'm forced into it. My phone drops alot and because of that I am a fan of the shattershield and do not like the mods would never use em. When turbo 2 fully fails I don't have many options at this point

I posted in the z forum cause you mentioned it

Not sure how you are being forced into it when there are so many good phones on the market. If you truly want another phone with Shattershield then I kind of see what you mean, as the Z2 Force is the only other option.

If you have no interest whatsoever in Moto Mods then a TPU style case that covers the whole phone would be an option, and no need to buy a Style Shell.

One other thing to keep in mind though...if you like to use wireless charging you will have to buy a wireless compatible Style Shell, and not use a full case. The phone itself is not wireless compatible because of the Moto Mod magnets built into the phone.

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Shattershield and battery are my top priority so that's why I say forced to Z2

But I lose some water resist and have to deal with Moto mods shells(anoying) and I didn't know u needed a special shell for wireless charging (bummer)

So forced to alessor feature phone to get a fresh battery and faster CPU. Wonder if I should trust a place in the mall to replace turbo2 battery and hope the they don't break it hmmm.
No good options that I see,bummed that's why I hope 2018 gives more choices

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If you really want Shattershield then 2018 is probably not going to be much better for you. Moto has already announced (several times) that the Z Series will be fully compatible for the first three years. So that means the 2018 Moto Z lineup will be the same basic shape, size and design as the first two. Those of us that have spent money on Moto Mods are very happy with that announcement; my Moto Mods from 2016 will work on a 2018 Gen 3 Moto Z.

The lack of native wireless charging has been discussed on here numerous times. I don't see how you can have built in wireless charging with super strong magnets built into the back of the phone. I'm OK with it, the Moto Mods offer way more functionality than built in wireless charging. And the wireless charging Style Shells work great, so now my wife & I have wireless charging capability when we need it.

I understand that you think the Moto Mods and Style Shell idea is silly and annoying, but most of us do not...it's what sold me (and many others) on this phone.

I hate to not recommend a Moto phone to a current Moto phone owner, but it kind of sounds like the Z2 Force is not the best phone for you. I don't see it as a downgrade or step backwards from a Turbo 2 at all. It's a completely different style of phone with different selling points.

Have you considered a new Turbo 2 from a trusted for sale site like Swappa?

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
If you really want Shattershield then 2018 is probably not going to be much better for you. Moto has already announced (several times) that the Z Series will be fully compatible for the first three years. So that means the 2018 Moto Z lineup will be the same basic shape, size and design as the first two. Those of us that have spent money on Moto Mods are very happy with that announcement; my Moto Mods from 2016 will work on a 2018 Gen 3 Moto Z.

The lack of native wireless charging has been discussed on here numerous times. I don't see how you can have built in wireless charging with super strong magnets built into the back of the phone. I'm OK with it, the Moto Mods offer way more functionality than built in wireless charging. And the wireless charging Style Shells work great, so now my wife & I have wireless charging capability when we need it.

I understand that you think the Moto Mods and Style Shell idea is silly and annoying, but most of us do not...it's what sold me (and many others) on this phone.

I hate to not recommend a Moto phone to a current Moto phone owner, but it kind of sounds like the Z2 Force is not the best phone for you. I don't see it as a downgrade or step backwards from a Turbo 2 at all. It's a completely different style of phone with different selling points.

Have you considered a new Turbo 2 from a trusted for sale site like Swappa?

I have thought about replacing the battery if it truly fails but would prefer a new phone. Sounds like I may get Z2 force with a gel shell if possible. Do they make em? Pixel2 is still an option if it survives drop tests

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
There were several different style TPU gel cases for the Z Force, so I would imagine there are some for the Z2 Force also. Amazon would be a great place to look.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
There were several different style TPU gel cases for the Z Force, so I would imagine there are some for the Z2 Force also. Amazon would be a great place to look.

I swear amazon has every case known to mankind...always get 100's of results when I search. so I have to agree with you, amazon would be the first place to look.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
They are on Amazon....but I'm not searching cases for someone else. LOL.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I don't even use a shell on my Z2.
I went from Turbo > Turbo 2 > Z2 Force.
I never got great battery life on the phone. 2 days my butt... But, like you, it's all about Shattershield for me. Not sure why you're unsure about this phone.
I put the ArmorSuit screen protector on it. Can't even tell. Just like Motorola recommended a screen on the scratch prone Turbo 2. Don't even try to tell me your screen is pristine on the T2. I ran totally naked for awhile and my screen was really bad.
I ran a style shell that a friend with a Z2 gave me...for about a week. It's nice but I don't think it's needed. The phone is so damn skinny without it. It would have to drop very very hard to seperate from the body.
I bought a wireless charging shell that I use with my old USB wireless charger. It stays home usually on the charger. This way I don't need to use the USBC charger that came with it in my bedroom. I keep that in the living room for that rare occasion I might need a top up.
It's fast. It's sexy. The fingerprint reader is very cool. It doesn't get hot. I am head over heels with this phone.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I don't even use a shell on my Z2.
I went from Turbo > Turbo 2 > Z2 Force.
I never got great battery life on the phone. 2 days my butt... But, like you, it's all about Shattershield for me. Not sure why you're unsure about this phone.
I put the ArmorSuit screen protector on it. Can't even tell. Just like Motorola recommended a screen on the scratch prone Turbo 2. Don't even try to tell me your screen is pristine on the T2. I ran totally naked for awhile and my screen was really bad.
I ran a style shell that a friend with a Z2 gave me...for about a week. It's nice but I don't think it's needed. The phone is so damn skinny without it. It would have to drop very very hard to seperate from the body.
I bought a wireless charging shell that I use with my old USB wireless charger. It stays home usually on the charger. This way I don't need to use the USBC charger that came with it in my bedroom. I keep that in the living room for that rare occasion I might need a top up.
It's fast. It's sexy. The fingerprint reader is very cool. It doesn't get hot. I am head over heels with this phone.

Best review of the phone I've seen so far. Thanks for the info

My turbo2 only has 3 small dents from cat bitting it. No scratches from drops. Never needed a screen protector on it.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
That might not have come out right. I meant I never got great battery life on my T2. This phone is, so far anyway, quite a bit better then my T2 was when new. It's because of the processor which uses much less battery.

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
That might not have come out right. I meant I never got great battery life on my T2. This phone is, so far anyway, quite a bit better then my T2 was when new. It's because of the processor which uses much less battery.

I was comparing processors snapdragon 810 to 835 and there seems to be more throughput and lte bands on the 835. The 820 I read had overheating issues not sure about the 810 with overheating but mines been overheating alot lately

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2

I just got my z2 force tonight and have been setting it up. It's zippier and hasn't overheated like my turbo2 yet.my turbo2 says 8 hours left at 50%(never lasts that long) and the z2 force says 7 hours at 84% which makes me a bit concerned but I am going to watch it and see if it lasts longer than it indicates and if it's better than turbo2... Or if I am going to have to get battery mod, more to come....

The back is slippery to grip. I did one drop test on a rug no damage breaks or scratches.
Is the charger that comes with the box a turbo charger?
Is there a gel case that will fit over the z2 with battery mod attached?