Does overclocking take a paid app?

xythil

Reaction score
Hey guy I just watched some videos on overclocking/ROOTing. In the video the guy stated he had to buy an app. Is this still the case? If so what is the cost

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
setcpu from the market. make sure in settings you set it to auto detect to overclock.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guy I just watched some videos on overclocking/ROOTing. In the video the guy stated he had to buy an app. Is this still the case? If so what is the cost

I can't tell because I paid for it what the cost was. Look up SetCpu in the Market for the price.

droidilac

Reaction score
I searched the market for "overclock" It came up with an overclock widget. Works just fine for me. It isnt as advanced or as nice as SetCpu. SetCpu has all the different profiles. The widget I am using does have a setting for "Screen On setting" and a "SCreen OFF setting" In other words I have mine set to 250-950 screen on and 125-250 with the screen off....

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
Is overclocking necessary for the ROMs? Or just extra?

nphil

Reaction score
Not necessary, just cool. Stock 2.1 based ROMS run pretty fast at 600 MHz. SetCPU is 99 cents on the market btw, or you can just download it from xda-developers where it's free.

qwiksilver711

Reaction score
You can get set cpu for free from the xda developers site... its not a necessity, just nice to have a little extra power. But set cpu is only 99 cents... come on and support the dev and pay for it

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah, I knew it was cheap, just didn't remember what I paid for it.

OP search Set CPU in market.

shmoo

Reaction score
SetCPU was like 1 or 2 bucks I think. Really not bad at all

deputc26

Reaction score
overclockwidget will do It for free but is harder to use/lamer. The dev at XDA who made setCPU occasionally gives it out for free.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Somewhere in the past I saw the terminal emulation syntax you could use to do this yourself at zero cost.

However, SetCPU also auto changes your upper and lower clockspeed range depending on if you are using the phone, it is in sleep mode, it is charging, it has low battery, etc. Going the free route you would have to monitor and make those changes yourself as need be if you wanted them changed when phone state or condition changed. For the price, you can't go wrong.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
99 cents for me. If you add the widget to one of your 5 screens it also shows internal temp. You can set it to throttle back if the temp reaches a custom value, thus saving your processor from RROD.

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
Not necessary, just cool. Stock 2.1 based ROMS run pretty fast at 600 MHz. SetCPU is 99 cents on the market btw, or you can just download it from xda-developers where it's free.

whats xda developers?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am hesitant to pay for an app, but considering that I am overclocking/over working my processor I have no problem paying a buck for an app that is proven and has profiles to keep you from burning up your phone. To me a dollar is better then free and later sayin o.s now I have to take this back to vzw and hope I get another one.