Does Microsoft Play Fair? Of Course Not.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
The contest sounds "rigged" to begin with.

From what I read it sounds like you turn the phone off then on. They tell you what they want. Then you have to do it.

In this guys case the weather thing. It sounds like the employee already performed the task (adding the two weathers on the tile page). So OF COURSE they're going to win. It was just lucky that he just happened to have two weather widgets up. What about an average user?

I for example don't have any weather info on my home screen let alone for two cities.

So, I would have to open Beautiful Widgets and add two cities. Which of course will add a bunch of time to me performing the task.

So, it almost sounds like these tests are set to make the user fail. Since the WP user has already set up everything in advance.

It doesn't sound like a fair fight. IMO. I think the challenge sounds cool and all, but it sure as hell is set up poorly.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:

Natey2

Reaction score
Man, that is one useless comparison of Smartphones!

How about:
The actual time it takes to boot up a stock smartphone?
The amount of time a smartphone can run for before it needs to be recharged?
Some standardized benchmarks?
Ease of setup of a new email account, send/read email, etc?
Ease of updating a task/calendar event/etc?
Ease of download, install, update, uninstall apps from the Store?
OS memory overhead, ability to multitask, resource leakage, etc.
Cost of ownership?

And phone voice quality.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea...its sounds shady. I havent used a WP7 much...but is weather already on the Live Tiles or does it have to be added?

Now that I think about it...the only thing I want to do smoking fast is have the camera app come up...lol.

I just read some of the comments....seems the 1st party, stock Weather app just got added to the Live Tiles...lol. So basically Microsoft had to wait until they felt they could actually compete to come up with this contest...

Reading the rules..3rd party apps were fine too. This sucks and I probably wont be trying it.

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's good. If having weather pre loaded in the live tiles is fair, having a weather widget already loaded is also fair.

Maybe it shoulda been add weather info to your screen from scratch. Adding anything from scratch seems more fair. Ms should stick with using the camera app from the lock screen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Good for him. A new laptop and new phone? That's close to like 1500-2000 in prizes!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

scott craft

Reaction score
Checking the weather in two different cities at once is not something usually done, so I think that particular test is irrelavant. WP is fast at going from lock screen to taking a picture and posting it on fb. It can also update twitter and fb at the same time. Of course there are things an android can do faster, this is just about getting more people to be aware of WP.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am Glad it all got corrected ..sometimes the media does make a diffrence

Natey2

Reaction score
This all sounds like a good media stunt. Microsoft got all the publicity (even if not all positive) they were looking for, for the mere cost of a laptop and a WinPhone. Even we Androiders are paying some attention to a phone we would have otherwise ignored.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
This all sounds like a good media stunt. Microsoft got all the publicity (even if not all positive) they were looking for, for the mere cost of a laptop and a WinPhone. Even we Androiders are paying some attention to a phone we would have otherwise ignored.

Its funny you say that...cuz even after reading a couple articles about it....I just realized I dont even know which WP7 phone it was...lol.

OP
MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score

No doubt that's true. I was still considering checking out the promotion just to get a WP to play with. I'm glad somewhat at least made it right. MS definitely did get lots of free publicity out of this because I had no idea the contest was even going on beforehand. Maybe it's a vast conspiracy.

Natey2

Reaction score
There is some truth here: Windows Phone Smokes Android,But Can't Sell - http://www.pcmag.com/article/print/295960

Having been a Windows Mobile (not to be confused with WinPhone) user for a little longer than my Android use, I still miss the stability of WinMo and basic functionality out of the box.
I traded in the stability/reliability for more features I have on my Android phone, and the geeky side of me makes me want to stick with Android (for now, at least).