Does manually updating to Gingerbread without root void your warranty?

fretcruiser

Reaction score
Just want to know, because I'm on my 5th DX and have had many screen issues in the past and want to be able to send it back if I have another issue.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
If I'm not mistaken, it's installing any unauthorized firmware on your phone that voids warranty. Not just rooting it.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its up to you to know your phone. I am on my 2nd X and have rooted and all that. With my first one, I never would have because it was so messed up and glitchy.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

CD95YJ

Reaction score
If your rooted as we speak, technically your warranty is already void... just sayin'

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Draken

Reaction score
i rooted added roms and everything.. i still have my warranty?? i just called in for a replacement today and its shipped out tomorrow so.

Zog

Reaction score
You could sbf back and pretend your phone is still under warranty :)

Rocko

Reaction score
i rooted added roms and everything.. i still have my warranty?? i just called in for a replacement today and its shipped out tomorrow so.

Have fun when they see your phone is rooted and charge you $349 for the phone.

GeXX

Reaction score
If you have to ask if your phone is under Warranty then it is not under Warranty.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Guyute

Reaction score
Just want to know, because I'm on my 5th DX and have had many screen issues in the past and want to be able to send it back if I have another issue.

5th one you should be an expert by now. I'm on my original DX and going 9 months strong so far with no problems. SBF before you send that sucker back!!!

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score

Have fun when they see your phone is rooted and charge you $349 for the phone.

Hahaha exactly. If they see any evidence of root that free replacement will turn into a $500 replacement and it will definitely be CPO as well.

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

xmguy

Reaction score
As long as it's stock if you have to replace it. Then you are ok. If a tech finds out the phone is rooted upon a swap or exchange. Then will will charge you back the full retail cost. A vzw tech said that. Stock before they get it you are ok. I have a SBF for my droid x. I just .bak the root files that I might have to restore if i have to exchange it for other phones like my samsung continuum. That there is no stock flash file to sbf.

Sent from XMGUY's Droid X.