does light flow work galaxy s3

zacedward

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the app light flow works wIh the US galaxy s3

Beka27

Reaction score
I used it with my DX (the purchased version). I set up all my colors on the S3, but when I turned the screen off, the green LED stayed lit. Even when I received a text or call, the light didn't change or blink. I uninstalled and am gonna try again. I don't know if I had a setting wrong or what. If it keeps doing that, I'm going to send the dev an email and see if they can fix it.

Have you tried it and had a similar experience? I have really love that app and hope I can get it working.

Valvoline

Reaction score
same here. installed it and light wouldnt turn off. uninstalled

OP
zacedward

zacedward

Reaction score
Yah I tried it same problem with green light staying on I wish it would work hopefully the dev can fix it

Beka27

Reaction score
I just downloaded again, toggled accessibility and did nothing else, and same thing... Solid green light.

I'm going to email the dev. I'd recommend others do the same. I'm guessing they're working on it, but doesn't hurt to express your interest in the app.

OP
zacedward

zacedward

Reaction score
Beka27 said:
I just downloaded again, toggled accessibility and did nothing else, and same thing... Solid green light.

I'm going to email the dev. I'd recommend others do the same. I'm guessing they're working on it, but doesn't hurt to express your interest in the app.

Sounds good I will email dev thanks

Trapper31

Reaction score
Sounds good I will email dev thanks

Check out the dev's website, I think all of the issues you guys have described are known and he/she is working on it. I was pretty excited to use this app to until I read about the problems. Hopefully we'll see a fix soon.

OP
zacedward

zacedward

Reaction score
Trapper31 said:
Check out the dev's website, I think all of the issues you guys have described are known and he/she is working on it. I was pretty excited to use this app to until I read about the problems. Hopefully we'll see a fix soon.

Ok thanks

Beka27

Reaction score

Just received an email saying the same. Here is the info from Light Flow.

Known Issues: http://www.folioflow.com/ff/page/website/lightflow/pageId/1931

And the blog: Light Flow - Blog

Blog - progress so far with the Samsung Galaxy S3
transparent.gif
Well the galaxy s3 is now getting released in more and more regions and from the reports we've had I'm guessing lots of people have been buying them!

We got hold of the UK version of the phone at the end of May and the app works pretty well with it. At the moment the main issue on the GSM S3 is the talkback bug. I've spent the last several days in communication with Samsung and they have now passed the issue onto their development team to investigate.

As many will probably know the hardware in the US S3 is different. Dual code compared to Quad and some variants with LTE.
Not only is the processor and radio hardware different but controlling of the LEDs is also different. At the moment the US S3 seems to have its color matrix mixed up, so issuing a code of Red will come out a totally different color. Putting out the color black (which we use when there's no notifications) causes the phone to display green.

Now this is a real headache for controlling the phone. At first my guess was that there was a color shift going on and maybe a little code addition would shift those color codes back to the correct positions, but it doesn't seem like there's any pattern to the colors issued. This is another issue I've been in touch with Samsung over and I've offered to provide them sample code to highlight the problem - which they want me to send to their R&D team in Texas. At the moment I've only got a postal address for them, but I hope they decide to send me an e-mail contact to speed up the process.

In the mean time we've not been sitting back waiting for a fix from Samsung and we've been hard at work comparing control between the UK and the US versions.

There's some good news and bad news about this. With the help of a few people (you know who you are!) we are now able to control the led with the correct color and are able to set blink rates. It's not built into the app yet, but the good news is we now know it's possible. The method used is bypassing android completely and controlling the control files by dropping through to the underlying operating system (UNIX) and manipulating the files there.

Obviously this is great news and a good step forward, with the plan to add the required code to light flow soon. The negative about using this process is that root is required.

Hopefully Samsung will make the necessary changes to the software on the phone so all users can control the leds, but at least for the time being progress is being made.

I'll try to update the blog as more progress is made.

Beka27

Reaction score
I did notice that the colors aren't correct. I tried to set purple for the Go SMS app but it showed up differently. When I changed it to cyan, it showed up purple. So I guess in the meantime, we just have to set them "wrong" so they show up "right".