Does Keyring work for you guys?

Varking

Reaction score
I have the screen protector on my Droid as well but got it to work. Not sure what the issue could be but I use my Target Team Member Card at Target every day for lunch and use the phone to be the card rather than have the card in my wallet.

zegolf

Reaction score
Yep. I gave it a try at my local Giant Grocery Store, with an upright scanner, and it was a no go. So sad...

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
Okay guys, listen. I work retail.

I tried both flatbed scanners and scanguns, and neither work. I have no screen protector on my Droid, and I tried it at all different brightness levels.

This is a bum app. It might work for other phones, but I think the developer is unaware that KeyRing DOES NOT WORK AT ALL ON THE DROID.

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
CORRECTION: The app developer is aware KeyRing does not work on Droids. The app description in the Market specifically says: "Scan barcode from screen w/ handheld scanner on G1/MyTouch".

Varking

Reaction score
Maybe not all barcodes will scan but I can indeed confirm a few places where this works daily for me.

lucidstate

Reaction score
If it's a refresh rate issue, is that something that could be solved now that the droid is rooted? I don't know much about it, but I'm imagining that the developer could have the app adjust the refresh rate to something appropriate as you bring up your barcode. Then change it back to normal after closing the program.

Stigy

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you guys are doing something wrong, but I use mine ALL over the place on my DROID.

The BIGGEST thing is to make sure that they scan the phone directly downwards. Don't hold it at any angle. Hold the phone parallel to the ground and have them scan from above. It works wonders and people's jaws drop when I pull out my phone with the rewards card.

It definitely DOES work and the developer is working to make it better. They are a very, very nice bunch of guys and their customer service goes above and beyond.

Zippster

Reaction score
The devs definitely do seem like nice guys and the app in theory is awesome, but I too have way too much trouble using it, even following exact instructions. Did get it to work with a handheld once, but took alot of playing with and not something I certainly want to be doing with long lines behind me.

REMilk

Reaction score
KeyRing works on my Droid.

Keyring works for me.

I have a Motorola Droid. I have no screen protector and I turn the brightness to the highest level. I used it sucessfully at Ukrop's Supermakets (2 scans needed) and at Borders (1 scan needed). These were handheld scanners.

It did not work on the Ukrop's flatbed scanner.

This is a useful app for me. Your experience may vary.

Last edited:

kscdj

Reaction score
I played around with it once at the gym. Used a handheld scanner, played with the brightness settings, no screen protector. It did not work for me. :(

savesthesilence

Reaction score
Scanning Tips:
Tip 1) Do not use Key Ring at flatbed scanners. Occasionally they will work but often they don’t.
Tip 2) Scan the barcode head-on! Do not scan from an angle. Otherwise, the laser will reflect off the screen and will not scan your barcode.
Tip 3) Turn your screen brightness down. Less bright light means less interference when scanning.
Tip 4) Keep your phone screen clean. Prior to scanning, remove all fingerprints and smudges.
Tip 5) Place the scanner 5 to 6 inches away from the screen. Any closer or further away and it’s unlikely the barcode will scan.
PLEASE note tips 2 and 5 are by far the MOST IMPORTANT!​

themuttt

Reaction score
going to try this next thursday with at the pool my son goes to. I hope it works just to get the weird stares, but if not, oh well. Love the theory of this though