Does Cyanogen hate SP Recoverys?

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So I just installed Jrummy's new 0.7 remix and I love it. I used SDK ADB Shell on my pc to theme my framework and some stuff, added all my apps, made everything perfect, then decided to boot into SP Recovery to make a good solid backup before I mess anything up.

Well today I messed everything up. I said ehh whatever and went into SP Recovery, wiped data, cache... and selected to recover my Backup. It did but now it just boots into the boot animation and restarts in a loop.

Is this a SP Recovery issue? Should I trust Clockwork from now on? I had some issues with Clockwork weeks ago so I changed from using it. Days ago I was on v0.6 and I made 2 SP Recovery backups and when I slopped it all up they restored my phone, but my Google account was messed up... said I was logged in but wouldn't let me in ANY Google apps. I found no way to fix. I need to now re-do everything I worked on, and worst of all I am at work and cant use ADB Shell... its killing me haha. (HELP? CLOCKWORK?)

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Clockwork seems to have most of the bugs worked out. I was hesitant at first as well because SPRecovery worked so well for me, but Clockwork has worked just as well over the past couple of weeks. Koush is constantly updating it, so I say you should make the switch for good. The Droid community needs to settle on a single recovery so that we don't have this issue.

Last edited:
OP
icculusX

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I agree. Since I have to start clean I am just going to re-download Rom Manager and download JRummy's 0.7 using that, do a clean install and only use Clockwork from now on... Uhh I cannot tell you how many times I have had to do stuff like this haha.

Anyone else have this issue with SP Recovery and a CyanogenROM?

Here we go... wish me luck (while I am at work hiding it from my boss. haha)

Alex K.

Reaction score
Really, SPRecovery is no longer the standard for recoveries.

ClockworkMod and Rom Manager have taken over because of their ease of use and the fact that the whole process is automated.

I have abandoned SPR (you can probably tell, I'm a Cyan user), and while the two recoveries have their two differences, I have not x-booted into recovery or actually spent time there since i have made the switch.

OP
icculusX

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Dude, I hear ya out... but I have used SP Recovery for a long time and never had a flaw until now where Clockwork has screwed me back in the day many times. SP is a great simple recovery...

My issue/question wasn't about which recovery I should use, it is explaining my jrummy cyanogen SP problem and asking if anyone else had these issues... It's my first time using cyanogen so I am getting use to it (like issues with MM and such)

mjh68

Reaction score
Dude, I hear ya out... but I have used SP Recovery for a long time and never had a flaw until now where Clockwork has screwed me back in the day many times. SP is a great simple recovery...

My issue/question wasn't about which recovery I should use, it is explaining my jrummy cyanogen SP problem and asking if anyone else had these issues... It's my first time using cyanogen so I am getting use to it (like issues with MM and such)

Personally, I have used both SP recovery and clockwork to recover Jrummy's roms and have never had an issue as described so not sure if it was the recovery's fault or not . Depending upon what you messed up , maybe try to wipe using abd first ? Maybe a battery pull , thought I read somewhere that will clear out the ram . Just tossing out a few ideas I am new at this so maybe those don't even make sense .

Last edited: