Does AT&T's LTE drop signal like Verizon's?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
what do you mean drop like verizon's? from my experience verizon's LTE network is pretty rock solid as long as your in a good LTE coverage area.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone here has LTE with AT&T and can confirm this with me?

I've been curious about this as well. It's a handoff issue, and authentication issue on Verizon. I've wondered how AT&T's handles the handoff since it's a different type of 3G network.

Unfortunately I don't know a single person with AT&T who uses their LTE. Everyone I know with AT&T has an iPhone. :icon_eek:

what do you mean drop like verizon's? from my experience verizon's LTE network is pretty rock solid as long as your in a good LTE coverage area.

I wish that were true, and it's definitely better than it was 6 months to a year ago, but even in strong areas it will hiccup... though 9 times out of 10, in a strong area, the hiccups seem to be related to handoffs and not authentication.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure about signal dropping but last I heard it was nowhere near as fast as verizons 4g lte... Not to mention att doesn't have very a expansive lte network yet

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I read an article awhile back regarding the handoff issue/authentification that jnt mentioned. It said something like CDMA has a more difficult time time with LTE and that GSM works "better" with LTE. I don't know anyone with AT&T 4g, but I would imagine it depends on what area you're in still, much like Verizon. Other than the outages, I never had a 4g signal drop as long as I was in a 4g area.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Att has hspa+

And that drops data too its not just Verizon. I have plenty of friends with iPhones and my gf has an atrix and it drops data all the time.

Verizon's 4g is actually pretty solid. Can't complain about it. It drops once in a while but its so rare that it doesn't even bother me

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
AT&T does a much better job handing off from their lte to their hspa network. I was actually impressed. My concern was that right now lte for att is like with vzw was a year ago where there are very few people using it. They could be just going through lte hiccups like vzw but because att has a history of dropped calls and data I may have overreacted when I drop them literally 20 mins later. But my concern was that if they having problems now how will they be able to hold once the iphone 5 drops and their network is put to the real test. I think the s4 chip actually helps with handoffs. Will be interesting to see how the vzw gs3 handles lte/3g handoffs.

Caesars

Reaction score
Sprint saying they had a 4g network (WiMAX) should have been illegal, AT&T saying thy have 4g is....L M F A O.