Does Anyone Use Ford Sync or MyTouch Sync?

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I was wondering if anyone uses the MyTouch/Sync system in a Ford?
I drive a 2012 Mustang GT and I wanted to know if the GNex can use the feature where you can have the car read your incoming texts aloud and you can use the vehicle's voice-to-text feature to respond.

Does the GNex work with it?

The_Car.png

Engine1.png

droidxd00d

Reaction score
I'm not sure as to the functionality of Sync with the nexus but I believe it should. I don't own a car with tht system so I can't really help there. But nice car ;-)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

GoBears

Reaction score
I don't but I'd be more than happy to test your car with my phone inside for a few days :biggrin:

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
I've got Sync in my 2011 Fusion and it doesn't support the Voice-to-Text for my Thunderbolt, nor will it read aloud my texts. It does the usual BT audio for phone calls and media streaming tho. Give Jarvis a shot if it doesn't. Jarvis doesn't use Sync, but will read aloud and let you reply to texts without having to touch your phone.

OP
Dusty

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I don't but I'd be more than happy to test your car with my phone inside for a few days :biggrin:

Sorry... The Bionic has already been tested and it can do the text-to-speech-to-text with the car's MyTouch Sync touchscreen system.

I was curious about the GNex. If it does work with it I'm buying it IMMEDIATELY.

Last edited:

GoBears

Reaction score
I had BT streaming and connecting problems with my Bionic with my Pioneer setup in the car. The GNex works flawless. Maybe if you go to a store the rep can bring out a demo unit and pair it up for a quick test.

OP
Dusty

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I've got Sync in my 2011 Fusion and it doesn't support the Voice-to-Text for my Thunderbolt, nor will it read aloud my texts. It does the usual BT audio for phone calls and media streaming tho. Give Jarvis a shot if it doesn't. Jarvis doesn't use Sync, but will read aloud and let you reply to texts without having to touch your phone.

Yeah, I pretty much want to put my phone in the cubby hole or leave it in my pocket and not have to worry about it. With Jarvis I'd have to have the phone accessible. The head unit does everything with my Thunderbolt (except voice texting) as far as connecting to Pandora, calls, and streaming music... all without having to touch the phone (if the BT is already turned on). I'm itching for a GNex and if it can work with all of the features of MyTouch then I'm getting it.

Anyone using the GNex with Ford's Sync system?

GoBears

Reaction score
The only reason I recommend going to test it first is because when the Bionic dropped some people had an awful time with Sync and others didn't have any issues. Seemed to be device specific. Hate to see you get a GNex and not have it fully function the way you expect. BTW dude that's a beautiful car.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone uses the MyTouch/Sync system in a Ford?
I drive a 2012 Mustang GT and I wanted to know if the GNex can use the feature where you can have the car read your incoming texts aloud and you can use the vehicle's voice-to-text feature to respond.

Does the GNex work with it?

The_Car.png

Engine1.png

Don't know about the GNex, but I know about the car. I have the same ride, 2012 5.0. Nice.

OP
Dusty

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
The only reason I recommend going to test it first is because when the Bionic dropped some people had an awful time with Sync and others didn't have any issues. Seemed to be device specific. Hate to see you get a GNex and not have it fully function the way you expect. BTW dude that's a beautiful car.

Yeah, I may have to stop by the local Verizon store. They seem pretty cool about things so maybe they'll let me connect it to my car for a few minutes.

Thanks! I just got it last month. I had the dealer drop in a Roush supercharger. I had the engine re-tuned so now it makes just over 600HP... it puts out around 550 at the wheel. I'm getting wider tires and a few suspension bits like control arms, lowering springs, and Koni dampers, all of which costs less than you'd think (about the price of an off-contract GNex and can be installed in an afternoon in the driveway). All of that will happen this spring.

@jkaod Yep! A lot of people turn their noses up at an American sports coupe... they are sorely mistaken. It's not perfect but for under $40k it's a no brainer if you like to drive. Not to turn this into a car thread but have you swapped out your axelbacks to the GT500 mufflers? It's the best $250 you'll spend, you can put them on with no mechanical skills in under an hour... and the sound is GREAT!.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I may have to stop by the local Verizon store. They seem pretty cool about things so maybe they'll let me connect it to my car for a few minutes.

Thanks! I just got it last month. I had the dealer drop in a Roush supercharger. I had the engine re-tuned so now it makes just over 600HP... it puts out around 550 at the wheel. I'm getting wider tires and a few suspension bits like control arms, lowering springs, and Koni dampers, all of which costs less than you'd think (about the price of an off-contract GNex and can be installed in an afternoon in the driveway). All of that will happen this spring.

@jkaod Yep! A lot of people turn their noses up at an American sports coupe... they are sorely mistaken. It's not perfect but for under $40k it's a no brainer if you like to drive. Not to turn this into a car thread but have you swapped out your axelbacks to the GT500 mufflers? It's the best $250 you'll spend, you can put them on with no mechanical skills in under an hour... and the sound is GREAT!.

Yeah. I put some Flowmaster axelbacks on. Sounds great and gives it a little more power. I'm liking your mods though. Sounds like a sweet set up. I have been toying with the idea of a Shelby modification. Carroll Shelby is actually a friend of mine and keeps telling me he'll make me a deal I can't refuse. I'm just worried that my judge friend will get tired of all the tickets he has to fix for me.

OK, back to the phone thread.

azgdds

Reaction score
I have a 2011 raptor with sync. I am kinda disappointed with the sync connection. 1 no text support. 2 nav will not give directions over car speakers unless you are listening to Bluetooth audio. So you can't have Sirius going and nav turn by turn. I dont get that. I hope there is a way. The worst part is that it is connected to sync via bluetooth and the directions do not come out over the phone speakers either. Help!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

like2angle

Reaction score
The answer on the Ford Sync is...

I have a 2011 Ford Fusion.
The Sync display reads, "Device Not Supported" when going into Text.
It does work just slightly better in all other areas than my previous Blackberry Bold 9650 and the ringtone option only plays the default Nexus ringtone when choosing device ringtone.
Glad to know I wasn't the only one curious about this. Hope this answers all question on the Nexus and Ford Sync.
I will have to try out the Nav tomorrow and see if I get same results as azgdds.

Last edited:

azgdds

Reaction score
I was reading some sync forums and it may be a bug in sync. Some people have had luck disconnecting the car battery or taking out the sync fuse to I guess reset the system to get it to work. I did just recently update sync for the text messaging expecting it to work with about any new phone, but that is not the case. My update didnt go so smoothly, so something could be messed up. I think the nav directions should work when listening to sirius and the phone should re-pair Bluetooth audio automatically without having to ask every time. That is how my wife's older sync works with her iPhone, so it better with gnex or I am going to seriously reconsider. I will have to work on it tomorrow night or early next week. Keep us informed on how it is working for you.

OP
Dusty

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I have a 2011 Ford Fusion.
The Sync display reads, "Device Not Supported" when going into Text.
It does work just slightly better in all other areas than my previous Blackberry Bold 9650 and the ringtone option only plays the default Nexus ringtone when choosing device ringtone.
Glad to know I wasn't the only one curious about this. Hope this answers all question on the Nexus and Ford Sync.
I will have to try out the Nav tomorrow and see if I get same results as azgdds.

Thanks that tells me exactly what I need to know. It looks like the BT stack in the Nexus is missing the MAP profile that allows it to make use of the text feature in the Sync.