Does Anyone Know if the Moto LapDock will work with Turbo?

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Does Anyone Know if the Moto LapDock will work with Droid Turbo? Maybe with some Modification? Has anyone tried or heard if it is Possible?

rawveeda

Reaction score
I had some ok results with my lapdock 100, microsoft miracast adapter, (2 other hdmi adapters to go from full size to micro) & an OTG cable micro female to micro male.
The miracast can be powered from the lapdocks usb. You sometimes have to play with the sequence getting it up and going. Basically start with the lapdock shut, hook up the miracast, Then connect the otg cable to the lapdock.(I think thats what initializes the lapdock) On the turbo make sure your wifi is on & your screen cast settings are ready. Hook up the Turbo. When you open the lapdock, the screen should light up & boot the miracast adapter. The key is not to let the Turbo sleep. You also have to keep the phone in landscape for full screen. You don't get tablet resolution (like if you had a bionic plugged into it). It is far from perfect but the proof of concept worked. I did not try to make calls to see if speaker phone triggered. I will try to take some pics and post them this weekend

rawveeda

Reaction score
keyboard & mouse work. Not all of the custom buttons work properly. As you can see the screen is not really optimized.

Attachments

• 0108151718.jpg
    0108151718.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 794
  • 0108151721.jpg
    0108151721.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 766
  • 0108151722a.jpg
    0108151722a.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 928
  • 0108151728.jpg
    0108151728.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 737
  • 0108151728a.jpg
    0108151728a.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 739

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
What a shame. All those LapDocks out there could still be running with the newest phones, it wouldn't take much from Motorola to make it happen.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

rawveeda

Reaction score
I agree. In the earlier ads for the lapdock, Moto talked about the futureproof accessory design..Oh well. Google did place the kill order on that. I still want to play with setting all the font sizes down just to see. I guess if there is a program that can change pixel density (without root) this thing might still be pretty cool.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I toyed with the idea of getting one back in the day. Glad I didn't make the investment, if nothing else, since I've moved away from Moto phones altogether, but those things weren't cheap, so it'd be great if it still worked.

However, I just backed this project, which may be of interest to some of you...
Andromium Kickstarter Project Android Forum at DroidForums.net

A $29 pledge gets you the device that you're supposed to be able to use with any hdmi monitor and keyboard/mouse and aside from the fact that they do offer docks for different brands, this looks to be a bit more future proof unless you bounce from manufacturer to manufacturer. Even then, I think you could fudge the manufacturer specific dock if it's just that the body of the thing is built a little different to accommodate for different phones.

rawveeda

Reaction score
I did the $10 software pledge (one less beer). Hopefully with a little luck, it can work with the lapdock.
I had a little extra time today & set the system font to small, downloaded rotation locker & checked things out. The results were a tiny bit better but not much. Having the launcher in landscape was better. It just seems to be a clunky setup. I might be better off with a bluetooth keyboard and a full page magnifying glass:) Hopefully Andromium can release & develop their software.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
2 weeks to go & they still need $40,000, but hopefully people are just waiting or don't know about it.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
2 weeks to go & they still need $40,000, but hopefully people are just waiting or don't know about it.

I may back it but my concern I'd that it's running is own OS and not Android so what protects us from them going belly up and losing their support?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I may back it but my concern I'd that it's running is own OS and not Android so what protects us from them going belly up and losing their support?

I was under the impression that is more like their own skin over android, but I could be interpreting it won't.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I was under the impression that is more like their own skin over android, but I could be interpreting it won't.

It doesn't look like a skin over Android so much as an OS that allows Android to run within it or controlling it, perhaps as a runtime or something.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hopefully we'll get a chance to check it out & see, but you download their software from Google play...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I hope you're right. If he hadn't kept calling it an OS, and had instead referred to it as an app or theme, I would be more inclined to think it weren't so proprietary. We'll see.