Does anyone find the Atrix netbook dock a silly feature?

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones' started by Dave12308, Jan 24, 2011.

?

Is the Atrix netbook adapter a pointless feature?

1. Yes, i'd rather just carry a traditional netbook

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, it's very usefull and uber-cool

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It depends, it could be useful at times

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Who really cares?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I figured i'd place this here since there is no Atrix subforum, per se. Anyways, I was thinking about the Atrix's netbook dock option. And i've decided that to me, it's sort of a silly feature. Sure, it seems cool at first; but I question how useful it would actually be in the long run.

Why do I say this? Because the thing is as big as a standard netbook. If I am going to carry something around that has an 11" netbook form factor; I might as well carry my netbook around and be able to run standard PC software. Why should I carry around a huge dock with screen and compose a document in Docs2Go when I can do the same thing in OpenOffice on my netbook and have the full desktop experience? And then I can connect the netbook directly to my printer and print my document. It isn't like i'd be incurring a size/weight penalty. (okay, the dock MIGHT weigh a couple of ounces less since it would lack a motherboard and HDD).

This feature might actually intrigue me more if it were a dock with a toucscreen that converted it into a tablet with a 1280x800 resolution. Basically, it could be a big touchscreen with a docking port for the Atrix itself. Perhaps it could have its own on-board supplementary battery.

2. travisn000

travisn000 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it would be better having the dock option, if for no other reason to get rid of the need for wifi tethering (battery drainer) ...for those of us that use google docs or similar online services the lack of MS Office, etc isn't an issue. Using the phone as a netbook would also help to keep all documents in one place (Although this is less of an issue with things like google docs and dropbox). As far as size goes, it looks to be quite a bit thinner...

I also like the idea of the desktop dock; it would be especially useful if it was set up with full linux desktop in a chroot environment as has been done on many other phones (..just not my DX :/ ). The desktop dock would be especially useful if it had self-contained KVM type of function, so that if needed you could easily switch between the phone and a real PC while only having one keyboard, mouse, and monitor at your desk.

I was a little bummed however to see it that it will be on AT&T and not Verizon... hopefully we will get something similar.

3. WERA689

WERA689 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  4. procrastination

procrastination Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was under the impression that the dock was simply a small device with USB input and a VGA, DVI & HDMI output. Then I can connect to whatever output is available.

That would lessen the load I carried when I am on the road. I could have remote desktop for anything major and all presentations or big email projects could be handled with the lite desktop the phone offers.

--------------------------------------
    So tell me Future Boy, who's President of The United States in 1985?