Does anyone find it odd?

nleksan

Reaction score
sorry, don't mean to be such a conspiratorial guy, but no advertising and how many press releases? How many articles and chat rooms devoted solely to this device? Why would they spend money on mainstream advertising? We are not only doing their advertising for them, we are also uber increasing interest. so many people are salivating over this, simply because they can't have it! I know I am....

anyway, just chiming in..

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I THINK

VERIZON is getting FREE advertizing all over the internet, they don't need TV spots or anything like that! They are "going viral" with this, and they KNOW that they have a killer phone on their hands, so by pushing it back a bit and a bit more, they're building tension and excitement, and they do it because they're confident the phone is great enough that no one will be like "awww... damn, I waited for THIS???"...

Instead, people read about online, obsess, talk to friends/family about it, spread the word... I'll bet half the people who buy the phone the first week would've never even known it existed had it not been for either a "big NEWS FLASH" on gizmodo/techcrunch/etc that got bumped up Digg or Reddit, or hell even the Wall Street's article! Then even more will be people who only know about it from their friends...

Way to go, VZW, you got us... jokes on you, you didn't have to pay for ads.... now give us the phone, we did your work for you...

MAPSTER5500

Reaction score
Verizon to block Google Wallet on the Galaxy Nexus

Verizon has decided to remove Google Wallet from the Galaxy Nexus, likely in favor of its own mobile payment system backed by ISIS. T-Mobile and AT&T may follow.

If you were excited to try out Google Wallet on the Galaxy Nexus, you’ll have to look elsewhere. Verizon has decided to block Google’s mobile payments solution from the phone. Google representatives have confirmed with multiple sources that it was Verizon’s decision to block the product.

“Verizon asked us not to include this functionality in the product,” a Google representative told CNET.

No official reason has been given, but it’s known that Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile are working with ISIS to concoct another mobile payment system. The three carriers have invested at least $100 million in the company this year. It’s likely that AT&T and T-Mobile will block the app as well. You may wonder why there can’t be two or more competing systems, since the US is a country built on the idea of competition, but wireless carriers have been known to repeatedly restrict functionality on phones and devices for their own gain. Mobile hotspots and tethering are two recent examples, but even running app stores used to be a carrier-led function. Luckily, smartphones have changed that. It’s likely that whatever system ISIS develops will give carriers some form of monetary return. Google’s service does not give a kickback to carriers, as far as we know.

Sprint is currently the only US carrier that supports Google Wallet. Community hacks to allow NFC-enabled phones to run Google Wallet will likely pour out, though with data as sensitive as our credit card numbers, we really wish a hack wouldn’t be necessary to try out Google’s service. For now, the Galaxy Nexus

Launching the Galaxy Nexus–which is supposed to be an open Google phone–on Verizon continues to be a challenge for Google and Samsung. Though its Droid brand helped catapult Android into the mainstream, Verizon is used to highly restricting and modifying the phones on its network. Earlier this year, Verizon went so far as to remove vital Google apps like Maps and put Bing on the LG Revolution, almost entirely removing the main reasons people buy an Android handset. The carrier, like others, also controls the entire launch process for devices. Just yesterday, Samsung employees at a showcase shop in New York were forced to pull the Galaxy Nexus from shelves. We cataloged that whole debacle here.

We have heard rumors that the Galaxy Nexus may finally hit shelves on Friday, but Verizon has yet to give an actual release date.

Update: Bloomberg has obtained a quote from a Verizon representative, claiming that the app has been removed due to security concerns. Jeffrey Nelson, a Verizon spokesperson said that Verizon wants to have “the best security and user experience” and that it will unblock Google Wallet “when those goals are achieved.” What, exactly, that means is unclear. Will Google have to somehow integrate ISIS’s system to be approved?

› Home

‹

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it has do with it not being a Droid phone.

Good point about the Fascinate. That and the LG Ally got heavy ad rotation.

The Xoom isnt necessarily a Droid branded device and it got some ad rotation. Its also considered a development device. Honeycomb also launched on it. With ICS launching on the G Nex....I think we will see alot of ads. Although....Verizon does have the iPhone now...but we really cant use that as a conspiracy anymore since Sprint also has the iPhone.

I've said this before: I find it even more odd that the Droid X2, Droid 3 didnt get any Droid advertising. Even after the Bionic launched.

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
There is no better way to justify an arbitrary, stupid, or self-serving decision than hide behind the omnipotent reason known as "security ". As far as Google Wallet is concerned... it could be true I suppose, ( there is at least 1 bug in every ten lines of code ) but it does seem be be an easy, common excuse.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Last edited:

TeeX

Reaction score
"from Verizon....the Droid Nexus Prime."

Yeah, I can totally see Big Red trying to market that.