Does anyone even use motocast?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by KGreis, Apr 5, 2012.

1. KGreis

KGreis New Member

I think i may have my first semester of college back in november when i typed up papers with my RAZR and they came up on my mac screen but im not 100% sure thats the same thing. If you guys use it can you give me some reasons you do thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  2. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 DF Administrator Staff Member

Motocast is files that are shared between your PC and selected devices...these can be music, photos, documents...it keeps excess files off of your phone but the downside for wireless to work, both devices have to be connected to the network...

Info copied from Moto's website.. https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/75576/p/1449,8119

MotoCast has two primary solutions that let you bring your music, photos, videos, and documents with you, wherever you go: MotoCast Wireless and MotoCast USB.

You can use one or both of these solutions based on how you want to access your media and files on your phone or tablet.

MotoCast Wireless
    With this solution, you can stream your entire collection of music, photos, videos, and documents straight from your computer. There is no need to first upload your files to a public cloud, and no need to worry about running out of space on your device to store those files. Whether you are in another country, at the office, or in another room in your house, you can quickly and securely get access any file stored on your computer from your phone, tablet, or even another computer.

To use MotoCast Wireless, you will need to keep the computer you are streaming files from powered on and online. You will also need either a Wi-Fi or carrier data connection on your MotoCast Wireless supported device. To see a list of supported devices, please click here.
    MotoCast USB
    With this solution, you can sync your music, photos, videos, podcasts, and contacts between your computer and your device using a USB cable. Any media that you choose to move to your device can be enjoyed even when you have no data connection. Any photos and videos that you capture on your device can be easily transferred back to your computer. The amount of media you can transfer to your device is only be limited by the amount of memory available on it.

With MotoCast USB, you can even update your device’s software. This feature is available to you as an alternative to updating your device over Wi-Fi or your carrier’s network. More information on Device Software Update in MotoCast USB can be found here.

To use MotoCast USB, you will need a Motorola USB Cable and the computer where you store your media and contacts. For Device Software Update, you will also need an Internet connection on your computer.
  3. RedTarget

RedTarget New Member

I use motocast to stream my music to my Razr, which I then have hooked up via bluetooth to my car stereo. I can never remember to make new cd's to take with me, and rarely do I use any of my standalone MP3 players, whereas my phone is always on my side and ready to stream!

I may start using it for pictures as I'm starting to fill up my sd card more and more.

Hello STG!
  4. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 DF Administrator Staff Member

Hey Red! I think I know you from somewhere :)...LOL
  5. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

I use it occasionally, as it's nicely integrated into the OS. However I've been a Sugarsync user for years, so I'm kinda already used to accessing my stuff through that. If it wasn't for Sugarsync, I'd probably use Motocast a lot more.
  6. RedTarget

RedTarget New Member

Yeah... if only I could remember where that would be! :)

As for Motocast, I think it's a great option for Moto to include. Many people might not take advantage of it, but for those who do it can be a life saver!
  7. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

I use it for pictures and also to easily transfer files between my phone and pc. I have it set up for music as well, but I tend to use Google music for that.
  8. WestOkid

WestOkid Active Member

I use it to access files on my Home Server for work, school and play.

When I was visting family, I am able to access all the pics of the kids.
    When I am on vacation I can take pics and immediatly load them to the server at home.
    I also view work and school documents stored on my server. Sometimes I make minor changes using Quick Office and I am able to save them.

I know there are cloud solutions to accomplish these tasks, but I am not comfortable storing personal stuff on the web. Motocast acts as my personal cloud.
  9. Jungle King 76

Jungle King 76 New Member

I absolutely use motocast daily and can't do with it now. I used tip be all about flashing custom Roms but since few of them included motocast, I always stayed on stock. Even the custom ics Roms were fun to pay with but i could not stay on them without motocast. So the ics leak has been like an early birthday present for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk
  10. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Well-Known Member

Yep, Google music gives you free storage for 20,000 files. Plus you just point it at the root directory of your music files on your PC and it uploads them and keeps them in sync. Not sure why more people don't use Google Music.
  11. Jungle King 76

The reason I don't like Google music is you have to sign in with your Gmail. My wife and and 16 year old daughter and I all share our music as a family. If I buy music from Google it is a pain to share it with them without having to download from one and upload to another unless I want them to have my Gmail signed into their phones. I use amazon instead because all three of our phones can sign in to the same account and if one of us buys music, we all have it instantly.

Google music is not user friendly. Even downloading the music to a computer is time consuming and they don't download with the song information. Amazon is just so much better and their music is always cheaper than google too.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  12. pinoy_92

pinoy_92 New Member

i use it.
  13. Andielyn

Andielyn New Member

I am an Amazon junkie so all my music is uploaded to Amazon's cloud. Anyone else doing that?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  14. jch81

jch81 New Member

I use the motorola music app because I can change the song without having to unlock the phone. With google music you have to unlock the phone to change (I also use a pin number on my phone)
  15. Jungle King 76

Have used amazon since the og droid released.

16. Jungle King 76

I never noticed that with Google music but I use amazon music and I don't have to unlock my phone either.

17. jch81

jch81 New Member

Yeah its way easier just to be able to click the the button to wake up the phone and be able to see what song is playing and have the ability to pause or change the song without unlocking the phone and putting in my pin and all that.
  18. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

I have a Google Music widget on my lockscreen which shows me the song, artist, pause/play and forward button.

The only issue I had with GM was it sideloading podcasts from BeyondPod. Turns out there's an option in BP to hide them so now that's not a problem.

I can see where if you have multiple people who want to use the account it could be an issue. I guess you could create a family google account just for Music.
  19. gaudenti

gaudenti New Member

Sorry to get sorta back on topic :) but has anyone else used SugarSync? How does it compare to Motocast? If I haven't used either, should I just go with Motocast? I just want to be able to access stuff on my home computer. My "personal cloud", as was mentioned.

Thanks . . .
  20. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Well depending on how much space you need, Motocast is free and integrated pretty well into your phone. Sugarsync is free up to 5 gb. Sugarsync will also give you some cloud storage in addition to your computer. I use them both, as I've been a Sugarsync user for years and already have them syncing two of my computers as well as auto-backup of mobile photos (which Motocast does as well). But Motocast is better integrated into the phone and if I didn't have Sugarsync and just wanted what it sounds like you want, I'd probably just use Motocast.
Search tags for this page
do i need motocast
how do you use motocast
how does motocast music work

how does motocast work

how to use motocast

is motocast free

motocast alternative

motocast for mac

motocast supported devices

what does motocast do

what is motocast