1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Does anyone else think that the Razr Maxx camera sucks?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by kbrake, May 24, 2012.

1. kbrake

kbrake New Member

I was a little excited at 8mp on the new Razr Maxx. Now that I have it, it sucks. It never seems to take a picture in focus. Anyone have any pointers?
  2. Sydman

Sydman Rescue Squad Premium Member

Just because it has 8MP does not mean it will take better pictures, just means once they are taken you can zoom in or create large prints while still maintaining quality. Course if you don't get a quality shot to begin with you will just have a bigger terrible picture.

Are you letting the Auto Focus get a green box before shooting the picture? Are you talking about taking pictures outside or inside in low light? The pictures I have taken outside with this phone are pretty darn good IMO, but I am no Ansel Adams nor am I very picky about pictures.

Inside pictures are a completely different story with low light all bets are off. People swear by the Camera Zoom FX app, which I bought when they had it on sale for 50 cents but for me I don't see where it is any different.
  3. kbrake

kbrake New Member

Outside pictures seem to be a little better as long as you don't zoom. Inside is a lot worse. Yes the auto focus seems to be working. I have taken many pictures in the past with a slr camera so I am confident in the taking of pictures but this camera just seems to take out of focus pictures.
  4. Sydman

Sydman Rescue Squad Premium Member

Give that APP I mentioned a shot, maybe you will like it better. Again I am not a camera person so advanced settings mean nothing to me, I don't use my phone as my camera. Just for taking the occasional picture when the moment strikes.

I am sure you don't, but do you have anything covering your camera lens?
  5. kbrake

kbrake New Member

I will give that a try. Like you I only take occasional pictures with it.

Thank you
  6. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Fwiw, any time you use digital zoom to take a pic, you pixelate the pic. For the best pics, try not to use much digital zoom. This has helped my pics a lot.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!!
  7. antoniotaj

antoniotaj New Member

I disagree take a look at my photo gallery all taken with the droid razr maxx flickr.com/atsps
  8. BradenFontaine

BradenFontaine New Member

how about that flash? anyone having the 'flash' not time correctly to show a darkened image?
  9. BradenFontaine

BradenFontaine New Member

looks good
  10. Bang Pow Boom

Bang Pow Boom New Member

Compared to my wife's i*hone 4S, I would have to say there is no comparison. My pics always pretty hazy. I also noticed that I have to take a few more steps back to take a picture. Even when I am not zooming in.

So yes, I would agree that the camera "sucks" on the Maxx in said comparison.
  11. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Motorola has been putting out rather poor cameras in comparison to other major manufacturers for quite awhile now. As has already been stated, megapixels mean absolutely nothing for the quality of a picture. Manufacturers advertise them like they do, but basically, all that an increase in megapixels means is an increase the actual size of the picture. It does nothing for the quality. There are a lot of things that impact the quality of the pictures that a camera takes, but two of the main things are the sensor and the lens. If you have a good sensor and a good lens, then having a larger megapixel count is nice if you're looking to make a very large print or crop in closely. But the megapixel count itself has no bearing on the quality of the pictures or the camera. I have an eight-year-old 5MP Sony Cybershot that still puts all of the mainstream cameras on phones today to shame.

I find the camera on the MAXX to be serviceable, and even slightly above average in the right conditions. But the conditions have to be right, and more importantly, the phone has to be held very, very steady. I'm hoping Motorola will start stepping up their camera game, because they lag behind pretty much everyone in that department.

...and yeah, don't zoom in. Since it's just a digital zoom, you'd be better off taking a picture zoomed completely out and then cropping it closer in later. This is basically what a digital zoom does anyway, except when cropping, the results are likely to be less pixelated and blurry.
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
  12. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

Nope.

Sent by my new Droid Razr Maxx
  13. soops

soops New Member

Having an iPhone 4s & razr MAXX in the same household, have to say the MAXX takes Comparable, maybe a tad better than 4s. Both shutter speed are fast.
  14. soops

soops New Member

Agreed with some posts above;I almost never use digital zoom. If I do it's only for 1-2x. Also when my wife just started using the MAXX, her little finger always hover around the lense due to the way she held the phone which resulted some pics from being blurry. Now she curled her fingers down. :biggrin:
  15. rosariorose9

rosariorose9 Member

Agree with the above poster re: the necessity of keeping the camera steady. I'm really challenged in that regard, and my pics are often blurry...
  16. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

To keep the camera steady, cheat! Use table tops, anything solid, my favorite is door jambs. You can aim for your shot, and even pan for a video. All the while standing in a comfortable position.
    I also agree with the comments above, digital zoom = bad! Walk closer or crop the picture later. Here's a night pic at a Hotel that I used the door jamb trick on.

[​IMG]

Sent by my new Droid Razr Maxx
  17. xxwabbit

xxwabbit Member

Along with keeping the phone steady, it helps me to use the timer in conjunction with using a solid surface.
  18. DocsDad

DocsDad New Member

Very happy with my maxx camera
  19. altjx

altjx New Member

I agree. With my camera, sometimes when it flashes, it actually shows the picture darker. This was very confusing and frustrated the living hell out of me. I wondered how in the world the bright light can flick and then the camera takes a picture like 0.5 seconds later, not even capturing the light that was just shown on the object I took a picture on. This is totally screwed.

Eh...

I would say the iPhone 4s takes much higher quality pictures than the DROID RAZR MAXX. I've had my 4s since the release date, and just sold it last week to get the RAZR MAXX, and I definitely noticed a huge difference in quality. For me, this kind of proves my points to my friends about the specifications. Although apple was a little behind on upgrading the MP, they've always did great work when they upgraded any piece of hardware on the iPhones. It was never just slapping something that sounds great together and it not produce the expected quality.
  20. jhuntin

jhuntin New Member

My nephew just bought an Iphone 4s and I must say the camera is pretty impressive. Actually it is really nice, but it was not that much better than the camera on the razr maxx. With that being said I can not state enough that the camera is the only thing that the Iphone 4s does better than the razr. I was extremely disappointed and shocked. Disappointed because I expected a lot more out of the iphone. I would barely consider the iphone a smartphone. I would compare it to a pretty blackberry. Shocked because of all the hype and great reviews the iphone gets. It took me 19 minutes to download speedtest.net from the apple app store. To be fair 10 minutes was my mistake because after 5 mins I switch to a web page and 10 mins later went back and the download paused. I continued and it was an addition 4mins. Remember when windows would do that back in the mid 90's. So I will trade a slightly lesser camera to have an awesome phone like the Razr maxx than to have a piece of garbage joke phone with a good camera.
Search tags for this page
camera lenses for droid razr maxx
camera razr maxx
camera zoom on motorola droid razr

droid razr camera sucks

droid razr maxx camera focus

droid razr maxx camera quality

droid razr maxx camera sucks

motorola razr maxx camera sucks

razr camera sucks

razr maxx camera focus
razr maxx camera keeps focusing