Does anyone else think that the Razr Maxx camera sucks?

kbrake

Reaction score
I was a little excited at 8mp on the new Razr Maxx. Now that I have it, it sucks. It never seems to take a picture in focus. Anyone have any pointers?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Just because it has 8MP does not mean it will take better pictures, just means once they are taken you can zoom in or create large prints while still maintaining quality. Course if you don't get a quality shot to begin with you will just have a bigger terrible picture.

Are you letting the Auto Focus get a green box before shooting the picture? Are you talking about taking pictures outside or inside in low light? The pictures I have taken outside with this phone are pretty darn good IMO, but I am no Ansel Adams nor am I very picky about pictures.

Inside pictures are a completely different story with low light all bets are off. People swear by the Camera Zoom FX app, which I bought when they had it on sale for 50 cents but for me I don't see where it is any different.

OP
K

kbrake

Reaction score
Outside pictures seem to be a little better as long as you don't zoom. Inside is a lot worse. Yes the auto focus seems to be working. I have taken many pictures in the past with a slr camera so I am confident in the taking of pictures but this camera just seems to take out of focus pictures.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Give that APP I mentioned a shot, maybe you will like it better. Again I am not a camera person so advanced settings mean nothing to me, I don't use my phone as my camera. Just for taking the occasional picture when the moment strikes.

I am sure you don't, but do you have anything covering your camera lens?

OP
K

kbrake

Reaction score
I will give that a try. Like you I only take occasional pictures with it.

Thank you

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Fwiw, any time you use digital zoom to take a pic, you pixelate the pic. For the best pics, try not to use much digital zoom. This has helped my pics a lot.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!!

antoniotaj

Reaction score
I disagree take a look at my photo gallery all taken with the droid razr maxx flickr.com/atsps

Reaction score
how about that flash? anyone having the 'flash' not time correctly to show a darkened image?

Bang Pow Boom

Reaction score
Compared to my wife's i*hone 4S, I would have to say there is no comparison. My pics always pretty hazy. I also noticed that I have to take a few more steps back to take a picture. Even when I am not zooming in.

So yes, I would agree that the camera "sucks" on the Maxx in said comparison.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Motorola has been putting out rather poor cameras in comparison to other major manufacturers for quite awhile now. As has already been stated, megapixels mean absolutely nothing for the quality of a picture. Manufacturers advertise them like they do, but basically, all that an increase in megapixels means is an increase the actual size of the picture. It does nothing for the quality. There are a lot of things that impact the quality of the pictures that a camera takes, but two of the main things are the sensor and the lens. If you have a good sensor and a good lens, then having a larger megapixel count is nice if you're looking to make a very large print or crop in closely. But the megapixel count itself has no bearing on the quality of the pictures or the camera. I have an eight-year-old 5MP Sony Cybershot that still puts all of the mainstream cameras on phones today to shame.

I find the camera on the MAXX to be serviceable, and even slightly above average in the right conditions. But the conditions have to be right, and more importantly, the phone has to be held very, very steady. I'm hoping Motorola will start stepping up their camera game, because they lag behind pretty much everyone in that department.

...and yeah, don't zoom in. Since it's just a digital zoom, you'd be better off taking a picture zoomed completely out and then cropping it closer in later. This is basically what a digital zoom does anyway, except when cropping, the results are likely to be less pixelated and blurry.

Last edited:

soops

Reaction score
Having an iPhone 4s & razr MAXX in the same household, have to say the MAXX takes Comparable, maybe a tad better than 4s. Both shutter speed are fast.

soops

Reaction score
Agreed with some posts above;I almost never use digital zoom. If I do it's only for 1-2x. Also when my wife just started using the MAXX, her little finger always hover around the lense due to the way she held the phone which resulted some pics from being blurry. Now she curled her fingers down. :biggrin:

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Agree with the above poster re: the necessity of keeping the camera steady. I'm really challenged in that regard, and my pics are often blurry...