Does anyone else feel the same way about their Maxx?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by GSdub510, Jun 4, 2012.

1. GSdub510

GSdub510 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    So I got a new one today (old one had a problem) but the Droid HD is coming out this summer. So I feel like I bought a phone that's practically obsolete :/ ecen the Galaxy S3 is coming soon and that thing looks like a monster. ..

2. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Not really since I was just trying to keep my unlimited plan and I couldn't afford paying $300 for a new phone (which the HD will probably be)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

3. bens42608

bens42608 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It will be a very long time b4 the maxx is obsolete. U have an Awesome device. Be proud

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

4. GSdub510

GSdub510 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I like this device but the HD's specs (quad core?) Sounds real nice. And same here, I got this just to keep my unlimited really. Great phone can't deny that.

5. CMDRSTP

CMDRSTP Member

Ratings:
    +2
    When isn't any electronic item not considered "obsolete" in short order by the marketplace? There will always be something "new and improved" on the horizon. And, how long do you think it will take them to market something after the Droid HD or Galaxy S3?

I figured something was coming down the road when Verizon dropped the price to $100 (after renewal rebate). I maybe new to the smartphone thing but, I am very impressed with the Razr Maxx. And, from what I hear, the Razr Maxx will certainly keep me satisfied for 2 years.

The way I would look at it is....does the Razr Maxx do the things you want and does it do it well? If yes, enjoy it. 2 years is not that long of a time before you can upgrade to the "new and improved." Well, if the price is right.

#5 CMDRSTP, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  6. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I've still got a dual-core PC, and I don't consider THAT obselete. It will take awhile for any of the OMAP4 series devices to become obsolete. Welcome to the fast paced world of tech, OP - enjoy the device you just got, and its many capabilities.

7. GSdub510

GSdub510 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    You guys are right. I'll enjoy this phone without the stresses of overrages. And it's still amazing all of the stuff we have in our pocket - email, music, internet, games, dictionary, tv...endless list!!

#7 GSdub510, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  8. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Some folks may disagree with my opinion on this subject, but my thoughts are that the only thing quad core is going to be good for in the beginning is chewing through battery life, and generating heat. It took quite some time for more than a handful of PC apps/games to become multicore aware once the multi core CPUs were released. I see it being no different in the world of smartphones. These things are already more powerful than most netbook type PCs out there.

9. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +754
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    I don't feel that way in the slightest.

From the few things that are known about the RAZR HD, it actually doesn't offer that much of an improvement over the MAXX beyond the 720p screen and 13MP camera. Having used the Galaxy Nexus and the Rezound, while a 720p screen is nice, it's not earth shatteringly better than the screen on the MAXX. It's kind of like a person saying "My 42" tv is better than your 42" tv because mine is 1080p and yours is 720p." Well, that's true if you're sitting a foot or two from the screen all of the time, but if you're sitting six to eight feet away like any reasonable person, the difference between the two resolutions is unperceivable to the human eye. A higher resolution will allow more things to fit on the screen, particularly text, but it will also be smaller. With a phone, the point where small is too small comes quickly. The 13MP camera will only be an improvement if Motorola completely starts from scratch with a new sensor, new lenses, and new software. An increase in megapixels means absolutely nothing beyond larger files. So, at this point, nothing about the RAZR HD makes me regret having the MAXX, and I doubt anything will.

As for the SIII, while I certainly wouldn't mind taking one for a spin, the improvements it does have over the MAXX aren't enough to make me want to jump ship too quickly compared to what I'd lose. The screen difference goes back to what I said about the RAZR HD screen - a step up, but not a major one. The larger overall screen size would be nice though. The 2GB of RAM really won't mean much of anything with the way that Android manages running apps anyway, so that's more of a spec sheet thing than a real world thing. I don't care for Touch Whiz. It's too cartoony for me. And there are a couple major things you'd be giving up with the SIII. The battery is of course the most noticeable one. I don't know that I want another smartphone without a battery the size of the one in the MAXX. But at least the SIII battery is removable, unlike in the HTC One series. The second thing you'd be giving up is the stellar reception of the MAXX. Motorola knows how to make the best radios in the business. Samsung, up until this point, has merely been mediocre with their CDMA and LTE radios. The Galaxy Nexus was a reception debacle for me, and I don't know if I'd want to risk that again. Hopefully Samsung has made some serious radio improvements, but even if they have, I doubt they'll be as good as Motorola's. The only thing the SIII makes me truly envious of is the camera. But at this point, that one thing isn't enough for me to abandon the MAXX for it.

So, nope, I don't feel the way you do at all. There's nothing out now, nor is nothing currently rumored for a release in the near future, that really makes me want to get rid of the MAXX. And that's really saying for me. Dating back to the Windows Mobile days, I generally only keep a smartphone for a couple months before moving onto a newer one. But the MAXX is the first phone that hasn't had me antsy for something new. With the exception of the camera, I'm completely satisfied with the MAXX, and I see that continuing for a good while.

10. Apex89

Apex89 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah the s3 does look nice but they are only releasing a dual core version at the end of June. Not even the quad core one that was released. Besides touch wiz looks absolutely nothing like ICS and for me at least it really removes me from the android experience.

11. Caesars

Caesars Senior Member

Ratings:
    +115
    From what I can tell the only difference most people will know is the screen size/pixels. Facebook, email, phone, texting,twitter, and web browsing are going to virtually be the same. The only way you'll see a difference is if you're a fellow tech nerd and run an app to tell you it's barely slower :)

12. oyeyemi808

oyeyemi808 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i got my RAZR maxx free from Verizon 2 months ago, and don't regret a single thing. Especially seeing as i still had 10 months in my 2yr contract with. i was already on unlimited data plan thank god. i think this phone is perfect coming from the X.

Search tags for this page
droid maxx obsolete
is the droid razr maxx odsolete

razr maxx hd obsolete

will the droid maxx be quickly outdated