Does anyone else feel shafted by Moto?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by rjd, Nov 8, 2011.

1. rjd

rjd New Member

I got the droid about a week after it came out. I love the phone, its fast, sexy and very light and thin. Honestly though, I feel like as soon as my 14 day return period ran out, the Razr was announced. I honestly feel as though I got shafted. I payed 300 for a phone, and less than 3 weeks later, a better model from the same manufacturer is announced? That's kinda low moto.

Anyway, I know theres not much I can do about it beyond buying the razr outright. Just wanted to see if anyone shared my frustration.
  2. Heywood

Heywood New Member

Not in any way, very happy with all of my Moto devices. I also like technology moving forward and I do not fell "shafted" as you so eloquently stated
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  3. rjd

rjd New Member

Dont get me wrong, I'm very happy with my Bionic, as I was with my i90, razr v3, v3xx, droid1, droid2, and droid x. There where a few others back in the day, cant remember the models. But I actually still have all the phones listed. Always been a fan of moto. All im saying is I really would have waited for the razr had I known.
  4. jayman350

jayman350 New Member

The Bionic was "supposed" to come out for like 6-8 months. There was so much speculation and hype behind this phone and it was constantly being delayed. I am not surprised in the least that a new phone was released shortly after the Bionic was. It is how the world of technology goes, something newer/faster/better is always around the corner. The case with this was that the device was pushed out so far, that the next corner was very close.

If this had come out when it was originally supposed to, we would have had the "best" moto phone for a little longer. The problem is that the Bionic seems like it was still rushed into production, as is evident with all of the bugs that are occurring w/ the Bionic's data issues, headphone whine, etc. Moto had to release it before the RAZR because they had so much time and money invested in it.

I like the Bionic, it is a very solid phone. And I don't think the RAZR is that much better of a phone (if at all). Sure the screen may be a little nicer, but not having a removable battery is a complete dealbreaker for me. I would not have bought the RAZR for that reason alone. I am more upset about Moto keeping the bootloader locked and encrypted than I am about them releasing a newer phone so soon.
  5. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

I'd rather have the Bionic. The only things I like skinny are women!
  6. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

How much of an improvement is the razr over the Bionic?

Build quality, dimensions, Super AMOLED, and a better FFC that can shoot 720p.

That's it. The RAM, screen size, resolution, rear camera, and CPU are the same.

Sure the CPU frequency is 1.2, but it's the same 4430 the Bionic has. It's just overclocked by 200mhz. Hardly anything to be envious over.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  7. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

I felt the same way. After I got may D1 in April, the D2 & DX show up. I wasnt gonna go out and buy a new phone just because it was better. There will always be something better on the horizon.
  8. Al Neri

Al Neri New Member

I got my Bionic on release day and even if I was just upgrading today I would take it over the Razr. The battery is a much bigger issue on 4G than on 3g. So I do not feel shafted even a little.
  9. cbrmike

cbrmike New Member

No not shafted at all but maybe left in the dark about the OTA.
  10. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

I finally played with the Razr today, and while I can get your frustration, I don't see it as much of an upgrade, if at all. It's too skinny for me, and just a hair too wide. And while the screen colors look more "true", it didn't look quite as crisp as the Bionic, or as bright. I played with them side by side for about 15 minutes and felt like, besides those few differences, I was using the same phone.
  11. Speeding Wheels

Speeding Wheels New Member

Happy as pie with my Bionic.
    No desire whatsoever to get a RAZR.
  12. tcayton49

tcayton49 New Member

NOOOOOO!!!! Please God No! I thought we were done with this subject after the first 18 threads. Why do we have to have another one? :frown:
  13. Fonzz

Fonzz Member

I use my Bionic with the paid Hotspot option. Doing so drains the battery VERY fast, especially when I'm uploading and downloading like crazy. I have to keep the phone plugged into my charger; usually this will SLOWLY increase the charge and other times when my up and down speeds are quite high, I've actually seen my battery level go DOWN while on the charger the whole time. This is when I'm also using bluetooth, live wallpapers, phone calls together with the hotspot.
    I got the extra battery and battery only charger from Costco and also the extended battery which I never use but couldn't resist the half price deal Verizon had on it.
    I cannot begin to imagine having a phone with no battery access and I'll NEVER, EVER, buy one that doesn't allow me to change batteries!!
    Previously, I had thought that the iPhone was the only smartphone with NO battery access, Wow...
  14. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

I'd say more shafted by Verizon than Moto.

That being said, If you looked at the reviews at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/181203-droid-razr-reviews-master-compilation.html I'm not that angry that the RAZR is coming out so soon, but that's just my opinion.

Unfortunately this is a thread that's appeared many many times.
  15. jbbeaird

jbbeaird New Member

Just REMEMBER ...

Cell phones are sorta like where WINDOWS and computers themselves were in early days of 1993...94...95.. etc. Regardless of what you just bought... another would come out faster motherboard...with a bigger hard drive etc.

So... whatever you buy today as newest and greatest, in a couple months a newer... greater one will come out.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  16. dbord

dbord New Member

Had my Bionic for about a month now wouldn't give it up for anything. I spend at least 2-3 hours a day on iHeart Radio and without the extended battery I would be done by mid day. A phone without an extended battery or the ability to change batteries is for sure not in the future for me....
  17. k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t Well-Known Member

Agreed that I love my Bionic tremendously and can't wait for the future to see where it goes.

I also wanted to point out that, yeah, the Bionic was "delayed" 8 months, but the Bionic shown back in January was QUITE different from the Bionic in our hands today. It's not like they just kept them locked in a freezer somewhere, they were improving it and making it better to keep up with the times because yes, a new phone is released every 3-6 weeks. Have to learn to accept this or you'll always feel shafted...
  18. geoffwhite18

geoffwhite18 New Member

I've been sticking up for the Bionic since I got it. Every phone has a few bugs here and there. It's normal to have bugs in new software. As far as the phone itself goes it's a great phone. Like the original droid, this phone was built very well. HOWEVER, This phone has a few major problems that I just can't look past anymore.

It's one thing to have a phone with bugs that do things that it wasn't ment to do, It's however a whole different ball game when you purchase a phone to do something and it dosn't do it. The data dropping out is a MAJOR problem and I have no idea who they think they are letting the issue go this long without any resolution. The other major problem is the phone randomly just bricking itself and becomming unresponsive. When you buy a phone to use it, and it is un-useable, that is a problem.

The Bionic is a Failure based on those two problems in and of themselves. Motorola has Failed letting the phone go out on the market like this, and They have failed with fixing the problem. So to answer your question, YES. I feel shafted by motorola because they unloaded their buggy, crappy software on the market because they didn't want to loose money on the phone they had spent so much time on. Honestly if they are unable to fix the software issues they should pull all the phones off the market, and give people new phones. When you buy something that says it will do something, then it dosn't do it, you should be able to get a full refund since you were not provided with the services you were promised. There should be a lemon law with cell phones. I like my phone, I like motorolas, but I just can't believe they let this issue go this long, and it's getting frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. dlo-htown

dlo-htown New Member

I feel like Moto shafted me. Not because they came out with the Razr shortly after... to me, specs-wise, it's close enough to the Bionic in terms of performance, that the rest of the differences are subjective... maybe the FFC being higher res would wow me, maybe not...

But the fact that the Bionic came out with so many MAJOR bugs... if the Razr doesn't have these bugs then I will wish I had waited. But, I'm pretty jaded on Motorola by now. They were all to happy to wrangle my $$ knowing full well there were glaring bugs in the Bionic and they still released it.

That's my sentiment on this thread. :icon_ lala:
  20. Ansa82

Ansa82 New Member

I agree totally! Last night around 8pm I couldn't download ringtones, couldn't download music or do ANYTHING for a long while. It said I had zero bars 4G...3G wasn't coming up and when I forced it the stuff still wasn't downloading. Even email wouldn't load. So irritating!