Does anybody actually like their Droid X?

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm going to be switching from my BB Storm at the end of the week. I wanted to get a Droid X. I came here to read up on it but, it seems everything I read is about the problems it has. Should I skip the Android line all together?

Honestly... You're coming from a BB Storm, anything is an upgrade over that pos (sorry, I had 3 of them in less then a month)

I love my DX, its a great device. If the size doesn't bother you, its a winner.

However; Verizon has a ton of new Android Phones dropping over the next few months, maybe waiting it out for a newer device would be a good idea. Possibly an LTE device since they should be out rather soon!

:icon_ banana:

OP
R

RJ1670

Reaction score
I'm going to be switching from my BB Storm at the end of the week. I wanted to get a Droid X. I came here to read up on it but, it seems everything I read is about the problems it has. Should I skip the Android line all together?

Honestly... You're coming from a BB Storm, anything is an upgrade over that pos (sorry, I had 3 of them in less then a month)

However; Verizon has a ton of new Android Phones dropping over the next few months, maybe waiting it out for a newer device would be a good idea. Possibly an LTE device since they should be out rather soon!

I've met a lot of people that had problems with the Storm. I was a lucky one. I had one issue with it and got it replaced. So, I've had 2 in 2 years. Not too bad. But, I'm ready for a change. I think I'm just going to go with the X.

coreshot

Reaction score
I've had mine for about 3 weeks now, and love it. This is the first new phone I've had in about four years, so it's quite a shock seeing how far they've come in that time. My wife and I came from ATT over to Verizon, I got the X, she got the Fascinate. After messing around with both for a few days, she took the SF back and traded for the X. She's happy with it also.

SMMAssociates

Reaction score
Mutt:

About the only real downside to the Omnia other than an occasional re-boot was the special connector for the headphones & such. Never could remember where I put 'em....

Operationally, I'm sure that the engineers never actually used one. When using the phone, for example, the screen blanked almost instantly, making turning on the speaker or mute, or using the keypad, a bear. First the "wake up" button, and then QUICKLY press the needed key. Kinda like texting while driving - a very bad idea.

Otherwise, the stylus was a joke (it should have been built in), but I got used to carrying another one. I wish the DroidX would work with a stylus, but so far, no.... My fingers are a little pudgy....

The Omnia accepts an add-in memory card (same type as the DroidX, microSD, I think), but the battery went to guess where while using it. Haven't tried in the DroidX yet.

Other than Java in the browser, it'll certainly do the job I need.

Naturally, the "new every two" and the "new model every ten minutes" tend to collide. I'm not really an early adopter, but this just seemed like a good way to go. Until I found out about the Java :D, but the one site I need is also working on something or other.... I found a Java add-in someplace, but it didn't work for me....

Not an early adopter.... I had one of the first 50 cellphones in the County. A co-worker needed one, and asked me to go ahead and get one to evaluate the whole mess. Sounds silly, but he had the rank :D. I think his first month's usage was $600! Meantime, I was doing a lot of in-town chasing around, and it probably evened out - about $75/month initially - v.s. mucking with pay phones and such. I could have easily justified one of the older mobile phone setups available locally, but didn't like them. A Ham Radio "autopatch" filled in for personal use rather well, too, which provided some inertia. Never really looked back once the first Motorola landed in the trunk.

El Presidente thought the whole thing was silly, btw. But he let us play. We had a major fire at one location in town, and I used to stop by and check on the guards when near. I happened to turn up one afternoon while he was frantically trying to find the guard to use his radio and ask another location to stay open until some very important insurance paperwork could be picked up. When I showed up, you could see the light go on over his head: "That car's got a PHONE in it!" He never said another word :).... (He never got one, either, but his wife did....)

(Among other things, I handled Security and Telcom, as well as computers. Semi-retired rent-a-cop, too, now. "Armed Programmer".... First time I ran into a cellphone, although I was quite aware of 'em, I figured "800 mhz? - that can't work." Once in a while I'm wrong :D.... That was about 1985.)

Regards,

N4UPD

Reaction score
May be wrong place to post this but does anyone have the app storage problem on the DX as I have on the original droid? Only 256MB of app storage on original droid and always low storage space pops up a lot.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13

I love my X...I had the D1 prior to this and I do not see myself switching from Android to anything else...I currently also carry a BB World Tour for work - and I only use it if I have to...

You get out of a phone what you put into it - I am not saying that Android or the X is going to be everyone's choice but it is by far my choice..

I didn't read this whole thread but I would suggest that you take the opportunity (if you haven't) and hang out in a VZW store where you can play / mess with the actual phones. You will probably know in a few minutes if you think it is something you can hang with or maybe it just isn't for you...

Good luck and hope to see ya around the forums if ya get the X!!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
May be wrong place to post this but does anyone have the app storage problem on the DX as I have on the original droid? Only 256MB of app storage on original droid and always low storage space pops up a lot.

No app storage issue - we have 8 gb of storage available. :)

jimisbell

Reaction score
Reply to the original question:

I belong to a Jaguar forum and every now and then someone new will post, "I was going to get a Jaguar but it looks like all there is is problems." The answer to that statement and to yours is the same. Would you really expect someone to post, "Gee I really like the way my radio, wheel bearings, fan belt, etc. doesnt give me any problems." Of course not. Forums are for thrashing out what ever problems exist, not for gushing over the things that work.

dancedroid

Ecsa0014

Reaction score
I love my Droid X. I had a blackberry prior to the X and there is no way I would ever go back.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

rcjames

Reaction score

I've met a lot of people that had problems with the Storm. I was a lucky one. I had one issue with it and got it replaced. So, I've had 2 in 2 years. Not too bad. But, I'm ready for a change. I think I'm just going to go with the X.

You still haven't got the droid x? Are you crazy???? You're missing out alot.

Loydroidx

Reaction score
I'm also currently using the POS BB Storm. Will be able to upgrade on November 17, and I'm seriously looking at the Droid X. Enjoyed reading this thread, but I have a couple of questions...probably stupid questions.

1. What is meant by "root" or "rooting"?
2. What is ROM?

rcjames

Reaction score
I'm also currently using the POS BB Storm. Will be able to upgrade on November 17, and I'm seriously looking at the Droid X. Enjoyed reading this thread, but I have a couple of questions...probably stupid questions.

2. What is ROM?

Root is special permission to get full access to you're phone almost like running on administrator on windows. rom is a modified operating system with tweaks. They modifed their own rom they sometime include app, they remove blur if they want it just a modifed os. I believe this rom removes blur basically motorola software but not all and over clocks the cpu and so on. Depend on the developer that create the rom. Usually they get to how they want it and then share it to people for free.

When you root you're phone you can also get free service like free tethering and could install app that needs to run in super user.

rcjames

Reaction score

2. What is ROM?

Some rom comes with custom themes also.

Loydroidx

Reaction score

2. What is ROM?

Root is special permission to get full access to you're phone almost like running on administrator on windows. rom is a modified operating system with tweaks. They modifed their own rom they sometime include app, they remove blur if they want it just a modifed os. I believe this rom removes blur basically motorola software but not all and over clocks the cpu and so on. Depend on the developer that create the rom. Usually they get to how they want it and then share it to people for free.

When you root you're phone you can also get free service like free tethering and could install app that needs to run in super user.

Thanks. So, it's nothing that must be done, correct? The Droid X will work well without having to go through this?

mjsplicer78

Reaction score
While I do admit to realy liking my X, it might behoove you to wait for the possible Incredible HD, which will only be different from the X in .3" of screen size, and id you really want to get into ROMS and other customization, it will probably not be locked down liked the X is (only complaint about the X really). I do like what the DX can do though, even with ROMS being based on Moto kernal it still is a blazing quick phone. If none of that matters to you in the slightest then you should jump all over the DX

Edit: No it doesn't HAVE to be done. You will find that most of us on the forums would recommend it though

Last edited: