1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Does android 2.2 have a full data kill switch?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jlaidlaw, Jun 21, 2010.

1. jlaidlaw

jlaidlaw New Member

Hey as I have gone back to 2.1 from 2.2 and can't look around, does android 2.2 for motorola droid have a full data kill switch like the nexus one, and droid incredible?
  2. bomber889

bomber889 New Member

yes it does.
  3. jlaidlaw

jlaidlaw New Member

4. M3-ADDICT

M3-ADDICT New Member

Does the Kill switch completely kill all leaked data? Can I turn it off and on at my discretion to send and receive MMS or use the Web? If you happen to get a MMS and your Data is off? How will you know about the MMS received and be able and download them?

I'm a big noob and I use Page Plus Celluar. It uses Verizon Wireless's network and allows us to use the same phone you guys use. In return, we pay bit lower rates, but are limited in data. For example, I only have 50MB per month. I'd like to keep it for emergencies (Finding Address, phones, etc...) on the road. I use WI-FI 99% of the time if I really need to be on the internet.

Is there an easy way for me to one get this 2.2 on my phone. My phone is factory stock.
  5. bomber889

bomber889 New Member

wait what? i've been on 2.2 for like 2 weeks already haha. And, yes it does kill off all leaked data. There is no 3g when you turn it off, cannot browser web, etc. You can either root your phone, or i think there is a way to get 2.2 unrooted. i'm not sure though
  6. M3-ADDICT

M3-ADDICT New Member

I'm saying, Since MMS is supported through Data, and if your Data is off, if someone sends me an MMS. Will it not come through? Will it tell me, hey you got a MMS, turn on your Data, so you can download the MMS using your data.

I'd love to know about the Unrooted Version.
  7. jlaidlaw

jlaidlaw New Member

I was trying to say help out M3-Addict in his thread that he started but all is well haha. I don't believe you can get 2.2 unrooted right now seeing as you have to root your phone to get to 2.2 first.
  8. bomber889

bomber889 New Member

I think i remember a thread started on how to get 2.2 unrooted, but i may have remember wrong.
  9. Trip

Trip New Member

This thread seems to explain how to get to 2.2 from a non-rooted phone, I haven't tried it myself though.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...2-2-froyo-issues-support-thread-non-root.html

M3-Addict, as I've said, I haven't gone to 2.2 yet, but I'd say that if you kill all data, then there is no way for the phone to check MMS so you would not get any indication that one is available until you start the data plan and check. Again, I can't say that for sure, but that would be my guess since MMS isn't part of the verizon network.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  10. Fault

Fault New Member

Ouch on the fifty mb. Had my phone for 4 days.have already used two fifty.
  11. M3-ADDICT

M3-ADDICT New Member

I know, I read On average the Droid pulls 220-260MB of data per day, as it's constantly updating weather, GPS Location, E-mail Sync etc... Also a lot of the free apps and games have advertisement, and the data goes to those as they refresh constantly in the background without even use.
  12. M3-ADDICT

M3-ADDICT New Member

Looks like the Un-Rooted version of going to 2.2 is super unstable. Seems like the only way to try the 2.2 should be the Rooted version.
Search tags for this page
android 2.2 allow switching data
android 2.2 stop data

android 2.2 turn off data

android 2.2.2 disable data
android froyo data switch
data switch for android 2.2.1
does droid x2 have a kill switch
droid razr 2 kill switch
enable data android 2.2
how to disable 3g data in android 2.2.2 mb525
how to switch internet data android 2.2