Does a factory reset remove evidence of root?

droidfan2011

Reaction score
If I factory reset my Droid will that remove evidence of root? Is there anything else I should do before sending it in for a replacement?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
no a factory reset will still leave you rooted. the best option would be to sbf the phone.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Depends on how deep you went. Did you replace the recovery with a custom one ether sprecovery or clockworkmod? or did you leave all of that be? If you you played with a sbf and replaced your recovery image with a rooted one then reflash the sbf. If you just and only did one click root to run a couple apps without getting more advanced then i think a simple factory reset is fine. It all depends on what image that factory reset will load on your phone.

OP
D

droidfan2011

Reaction score
Depends on how deep you went. Did you replace the recovery with a custom one ether sprecovery or clockworkmod? or did you leave all of that be? If you you played with a sbf and replaced your recovery image with a rooted one then reflash the sbf. If you just and only did one click root to run a couple apps without getting more advanced then i think a simple factory reset is fine. It all depends on what image that factory reset will load on your phone.

I did a one click root and put a new boot animation and that's about it. Didn't have time to do anything else before I needed a warranty replacement. I didn't do any fancy stuff because I wasn't knowledgeable enough for that.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
well the factory reset doesnt touch system apps and that's where super user sits. also i dont think the factory reset would restore the stock boot ani.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Is the boot animation in /data/local or /system/media?

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Also, did you make a backup before adding anything after root?

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
well the factory reset doesnt touch system apps and that's where super user sits. also i dont think the factory reset would restore the stock boot ani.

I dont think this is accurate. I might be totally wrong, which i often am, but i was almost positive that the factory reset was just a recovery image. Im really out of touch with old rooting methods but i think i remember replacing that recovery image with one that contained the SU app. Granted its been a good year since so i may not be remembering that perfectly. If my memory is right then i do believe system apps are apart of that image. It would have to be to do the process like that...

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
it may be different on a droid 1 vs 2 but i have had to do factory resets several times and have always been left with root privelages and my boot ani has never changed.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Spaz is right. Factory reset affect data/app but not system. Otherwise, a sbf would never be needed.

it may be different on a droid 1 vs 2 but i have had to do factory resets several times and have always been left with root privelages and my boot ani has never changed.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Im a d1 owner, no clue about d2 but i am will to speculate to support my possible invalid memory. Maybe on the d2 our factory image has been altered with the SU. These 1 click root processes really r cool but they dont really tell anyone whats happening. Bootstrap a thing i know nothing about looks to be in this area, but id have to do more reseach to give any definitives.

Tillmorn

Reaction score
I actually have a similar question. I'm on an Eris...rooted recently, used some back up, then flashed to KaosFroyo v39. Is there perhaps a file floating around the net with Eris' stock configuration that I could just flash over, or is it more complicated than that? I don't think I'll ever need to, since I'm up for an upgrade and if this one screws up I'll just hop on the tbolt or whatever is out at the time. But...it's a nice option to have >_>