Docks don't pass USB data?

wkearney99

Reaction score
Sorry to double-post, but do either the car or the desktop dock pass USB data? I've got both and neither are passing USB data. Just power. Either my docks are both defective or the design doesn't actually pass data.

So, can someone else check their dock to see if it passes USB data?

ZPrime

Reaction score
If you RTFM that comes with the dock, it says that it doesn't pass data. :) "Do not connect to computer, this is not supported" or something along those lines.

They envision the dock as a charging station or for people who want to put it by a TV and charge while using HDMI output. What exactly do you need to (regularly) sync with a computer via cable anyway? Everything can go OTA or on WiFi these days...

OP
W

wkearney99

Reaction score
RTFM doesn't do squat when the website doesn't mention it. Gee, thanks for useless commentary. While you may be happy using wireless, some do like being able to make data connections in a cradle. I find it quite handy for development.

KuddlKat

Reaction score
Thanks for the head's up. It is disappointing that the dock doesn't pass USB data. I like to use a dock for my phone at work and bring in music or vids to play through my PC.

sarreq

Reaction score
so you're telling me they added a 19 wire HDMI passthrough, but they cheaped out and neglected to add 2 wires for USB data? WTF?

TyrantII

Reaction score
At least with the car dock, I think they're using those two pins for the 3.5 audio jack / special cable.

Sounds like they're not using it at all for the standard dock? Unless it has a audio out besides the HDMI port (in which case it's probably also passing audio out those two pins when connected)

sarreq

Reaction score
stereo audio needs 3 wires: left, right and shared ground (look at a stereo RCA/headphone jack, 3 contacts). so since micro USB-b has 5 pins, that does make sense. BUT, that doesn't mean they couldn't have added a circuit or switch to prevent dual plugging (ie. when there's a data connection, shut off the audio port)

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
What exactly are you expecting a dock to do?
Oh, I don't know, act as a docking station? Not just as a charger? The car dock I can understand, but the desktop one? That's just ridiculous.

I like to use my Droid as a flash drive plugged into the USB port on my car stereo... I can access all my music thru the remote control on the head unit... but with this cardock setup I gadda go back to dinosaur days and plug some big adapter into my cigarette lighter outlet...?!

Kills the whole reason why I went out and bought a certain stereo for too much money...

And yes... I do realize I can just bluetooth... but then I have to use the player on the phone... bummer

DrForester

Reaction score
What exactly are you expecting a dock to do?

Honestly, I was expecting it to do the exact same thing my Droid 1 dock did. I was disappointed with the zero PC functionality and returned it (to say nothing for it's cheap plastic construction)