Dock Roots - MIKRADLE Was Born In A Cabinet Shop

Discussion in 'MIKRADLE' started by cuskit, Apr 20, 2010.

1. cuskit

cuskit Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Right off the bat, I'll make this disclaimer - I'm not hawking my cabinet shop here - just showing what the guy (me) who came up with the MIKRADLE idea does for a living when not engaged in his MIKRADLE Cottage Business... :welcome:
    [​IMG]

MIKRADLE Roots:
    I thought those of you whom have either purchased a MIKRADLE (or just contemplated buying) might appreciate knowing that these are not just little "craft" objects being made in a home garage workshop. They are manufactured in the same 6,400 square foot shop in which I produced all of the following custom cabinets. I bring in raw timbers (as produced and kiln dried at a sawmill) and plane, joint, mill and cut to size all lumber and turn it into finished pieces. I do all of my own finish work in house - I have a full sized finishing room (15' x 22' spray booth). I use catalyzed lacquers for most of my work, utilizing an industrial German made spray system known as the Kremlin AAA System. This is a state of the art combination of spray guns, pneumatic pumps and hoses designed to place the precise amount of lacquer on the cabinetry without all the over spray produced by conventional spray systems.

No work is out-sourced - it's made either by hand tools or some of the larger machinery I have in my shop (my 24" planer weighs in over 3,000 pounds)! I do have employees - the number varies from 2-8 full timers (as well as some part timers) depending on my workload.

Hope you all enjoy viewing the installed work below. I sure enjoyed building every single piece. I usually start with my own designs (my clients traditionally give me Carte Blanc to design their commissioned pieces), build, finish and install all of my work - no piece leaves my shop without at least 60% or more my own labor into every job.

Some of you might recognize some of the photos - we have been featured in some magazines such as NJ Design, Better Homes and Gardens, House Beautiful as well as Architectural Digest (the teak dining room table pictured was one of those featured in AD). I can state that I'm quite proud of what I've done with my work, and would like to respectfully claim my Dad as the driving force behind most of my work - he taught me most of what I know about the wood industry. Though retired for some years now (many of you are familiar with the health issues he has endured as of late) he and I still consult on many jobs I commission - I have the utmost respect and admiration for his knowledge, skills and experience. He's been so much more than just a Father to me - for most of my life he has been my best friend.

And so, enjoy my photos, just a small representation of the thousands of custom cabinets I've fondly manufactured throughout my very satisfying career.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Custom Kitchens by Lubrich - the "mother" of MIKRADLE! A Portfolio Sampling:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  2. nphil

nphil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's some amazing work there cuskit. If you lived in Georgia, I would have made you design my custom kitchen cabinets! (for the house I will buy in the near future :D)

3. atlharry

atlharry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Beautiful work!

4. drowe

drowe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that is beautiful work. I especially love the doors beside the fireplace.

5. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    awesome background info :) thanks for sharing... i wish i had such a talent

6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Great looking work...My BIL does the same here in MD.

7. Sparty83

Sparty83 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! That is some awesome work. I stand in awe of that craftsmanship. Your father taught you well!! One pictures I'd like to see though is that planer. Betcha it takes a couple people to move that thing around!!! :motdroidhoriz:

8. cuskit

cuskit Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Guys - thanks all for the wonderful compliments!

Sparty - perhaps I might show some of the equipment. The planer was unloaded and placed into position with my forklift and sling! ;) I bought that used from a school woodshop that had closed down. This planer was made in Italy for Rockwell back in the 80's. It was made to last forever, running 8 hour shifts, every day all year long. Never even hiccups!

Seeing that so many are enjoying these pix, I've added another 1/2 dozen or so. For the sake of the real intent of these forums - I'll limit myself.. ;) I mainly wanted to provide some background for myself so those interested would know just where I come from (industry). :) mikey

9. Sparty83

Sparty83 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sweet :icon_ banana: I didn't see anything there that I wouldn't be proud to have in my house. I think I'd better not show these to my wife! :motdroidhoriz:

10. cuskit

cuskit Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    MIKRADLES in Mikey's Shop!

Okay - you saw my other work, now I'll post pictures of MIKRADLES being built in my shop. Some proprietary pictures will not be included (jigs, templates and some procedures) which I'm sure you can all understand I'd rather not share at this time.

You will note the original prototype I built when I first started thinking about this endeavor. It was made of oak, and I was only thinking of making one for myself, not even dreaming of selling them (that came later). You can see the rough prototype with the latest evolution oak model next to it. I still use that original prototype in the shop daily! :)

Meanwhile - enjoy the show! These should give you a small idea about the fabrication of a MIKRADLE! What the pictures don't show is all the hand sanding, polishing, etc. - the time consuming end of the fabrication. Carbon Case Mark will certainly sympathize with this aspect of the job! ;)

MIKRADLE - The Big, the Small, The Pretty and the Ugly:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And now - just for laughs - here's another hobby of mine - I'm a real BBQ Grill Addict! I am a Moderator on a BBQ Forums http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/index.php?act=idx (yep - over 7,000 posts for me over there) and it's just one more thing I'm very passionate about. So - here's a couple of pictures of what the inventor of the MIKRADLE has for dinner when he goes home tired from building MIKRADLES! ;)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hope you enjoyed all this! Perhaps you now know a little bit more about where and how these little "church benches" I like to call MIKRADLE have been turned from blank pieces of wood into the finished product arriving in your mailboxes! :) mikey

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  11. theecigarman

theecigarman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Mike, What a great way to honor our father. I am sure he is very proud of you and takes great pride in having a very skilled and capable son.

Now, could you stop by and finish my kitchen I have been thinking of working on for the last decade? It shouldn't take much and when I was talking with Norm at the Yankee workshop, he said you were the guy to talk to!

Those are some fine specimens of craftmanship! the best wood work I have ever done (besides pick up an original MIKRADLE) was a bowl I made in wood shop. It has seven, yes seven 1/2 inch layers of real pine and was turned on my junior high school lathe. I spent more time in the stain room than at the work bench though, ;) Boy those were the days! I still have it as a golf ball holder on my nightstand.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2010
  12. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +0
    Beautiful work, Mikey! Let me know if you ever want to travel to the great Southwest; my kitchen could use some new cabinets, and I need some floor to ceiling shelves in the third bedroom and new countertops in the bathrooms for starters! :D Oh, and the BBQ pictures were SO UNFAIR! Now all I want is a steak!

13. theecigarman

theecigarman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    oh, and can I get your butcher's name? :icon_eek:

That's one mean ribeye.

14. cuskit

cuskit Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Geoff, Funny you should mention lathe. It's my FAVORITE piece of equipment in my shop! Nothing comes close to the feeling of satisfaction of taking a rough blank of wood and turning it into a piece of art!

Here's a few pictures (man - am I ever on a roll) of the process of turning a few wooden knobs. I do a lot of antique restoration, and a client needed some walnut knobs replicated that had been lost on a dresser over 150 years old. So I turned them, and then "antiqued" them to match those she had. See for yourself. Note the huge piece of walnut I cut the small blocks out of. That's a piece of black walnut that I've had for over 30 years. Little by little it's dwindling down as I cut it up for projects such as this one.

Mikey's "Turn" in Heaven (pun intended):

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. cuskit

cuskit Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mikey's Grill (his home away from the MIKRADLE)!

AnneDroid - You just know I'm eating up all this flattery! But that's not all I eat. If you want to know more about where Mikey gets the energy to make all those thousands of MIKRADLES, well, look no further than my most favorite and prized possession on my home deck - a huge, 304 stainless steel behometh known in our neighborhood as "Mikey"s Grill"! It has almost 1,000 square inches of grilling area, four hi-output main burners, an infrared searing burner, a rear infrared rotisserie burner, a side burner as well as a built in oven!

Before I go into work each day to build some MIKRADLES, I'll light up my breakfast grill to sizzle some great bacon, sausage or pancakes (sometimes all three)! Then, I'll leave my MIKRADLE fabrication at lunch time to run home quick and grill up a burger or two. And after a long afternoon spraying a few dozen MIKRADLES, I'm very happy to head home to throw on a great ribeye or NY Strip or a small pork roast, maybe some wings or chops and even a rack of ribs! Or some seafood like grilled tuna or scallops and shrimp! Yea man! I know how to enjoy life away from a MIKRADLE! I am very passionate about many things in life - especially the food that comes off my grill! :)

And just so you know a little more about the man that invented the MIKRADLE - here's a few more pictures (I promise this is it, it's now after midnight and I need to get home, eat dinner and go to bed)! :) You now know about as much about me as my wife does! :) mikey

Oh, and theeCigarman - my butchers name is Costco! I buy most of my meats there! :)

Mikey's Grill - the Best Thing besides a MIKRADLE:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
Search tags for this page

video t22 tablet how to reset