Dock malfunction?

hobby31

Reaction score
I purchased a media dock as soon as they were available online from Verizon. When I put my droid in it the touchsceen seems to go haywire. I push the music app and the weather comes up, etc. All the buttons don't open what they should and the back button doesn't go backward. I have to take it out of the dock to get the buttons to work again. Anyone else have this problem or did I get a bad dock? Can I take it to a store and exchange it if I bought it online? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
it might be a phone problem. the dock is nothing more than a magnet and power source. Was your dock plugged in when you noticed this problem?

OP
hobby31

hobby31

Reaction score
Yes, the dock is plugged in with the charger that came with it. I've got the application "dockrunner" and my droid functions fine with it. In fact, my droid functions fine other than the dock. Could the magnets be in the wrong place or something.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
hmm could be the magnets then i guess...

have you tried the dock without it being plugged in? How does it work then?

OP
hobby31

hobby31

Reaction score
I just tried with it unplugged and it seemed to work fine, then I plugged it back up and it went haywire again. I then applied pressure to the phone to more securely seat it and it worked again but as soon as I move my finger it starts acting haywire again. It's not really moving when I push it down, just resting in the dock more securely. It's weird.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i'm not electrical expert but it seems like that is the issue. Your unit is like plugging in an aftermarket charger which makes your phone go haywire. Trade in that dock.

JayMonster

Reaction score
i'm not electrical expert but it seems like that is the issue. Your unit is like plugging in an aftermarket charger which makes your phone go haywire. Trade in that dock.

In theory it isn't an aftermarket charger since OP said he is using the charger that came with the Droid... but it sure is acting like it is.

The fact that it works when you "press" it more securely in the dock tells me... you got a bum dock and it is not connecting correctly. Return it for a new dock.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
Like I have said before, it isn't all aftermarket chargers, but just some chargers with faulty wiring. Something is going haywire, as you can use lots of non droid chargers just fine. I use a BB charger every day.

I'd take the dock/charger back to the store.

pl4tinum

Reaction score
Try a different power cable that goes to the dock. That fixed that exact problem for me.

Slothead

Reaction score
Where did you find the dock? I searched on Verizon-wireless and it didn't find anything (maybe they call it something other than "dock").

Santini

Reaction score
Slot,

The part number is MOTA855DOCK I found it under desktop chargers.

Slothead

Reaction score
Slot,

The part number is MOTA855DOCK I found it under desktop chargers.

Thanks Santini. I found it and am in the process of ordering. I'm curious though, what do any magnets have to do with it? Does it not plug in with the mini USB connector?

Santini

Reaction score
The magnet just tells the phone that it is in the dock. The Car dock does the same thing, but with the polarity reversed. Thats why people suggest not getting a case that has magnets on it, since it will confuse the phone and make it turn on when it shouldn't

OP
hobby31

hobby31

Reaction score
Update: I brought the dock to work because a coworker has a Droid to and I wanted to see if their Droid would work ok in the dock. Like I said before, I was using the power cable that came with the dock. I didn't have time to grab that cable so I had the cable that came with the droid at work so I connected it to that. Here at work it works fine. The only thing different is the cable. The only other thing I can think of is my nightstand has a ceramic top to it and for some reason i'm thinking that might interfer with the magnatism. But I could be wrong. I'm going to test them both out at home tonight away from the stand and see. I'll keep you posted.

OP
hobby31

hobby31

Reaction score
Solved!!! Well, after bringing it back home and trying both cables I discovered it was the cable. It worked fine on my nightstand with the other cable. I took it to a Verizon store and amazingly they replaced just the cable now everything is fine. Thanks to all who responded.