1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Do you use physical keyboard?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by bassrunner67, Nov 9, 2009.

1. bassrunner67

bassrunner67 New Member

do you use your physical keyboard? i only use the virtual keyboard 99% of the time. i got a body glove case and was worried bc the case makes it hard to use the top row of physical keys but quickly realized i wouldnt be using it anyways.
  2. omnibus

omnibus New Member

Coming from iphone, I tried the physical keyboard but have primarily used the virtual one. funny thing is the virtual one looks so tiny in portrait mode but I haven't missed a letter yet.
  3. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

I tried to use the physical keyboard, i really did. Coming from the LG Voyager, i'm really used to the physical keyboards, but this phone is in no comparison. So i stick with the virtual one now. :)
  4. mchoffa

mchoffa New Member

So far I only use the physical keyboard when using the browser, so that I can type without taking up half my screen
  5. vanwas

vanwas New Member

Virtual keyboard here as well.

The physical keybaord has come in handy, though. My wife has always had trouble using virtual keyboards (as on my storm and iPod) and has no problem whatsoever now using my phone thanks to that physical keyboard :icon_ banana:
  6. wsbsteven

wsbsteven New Member

I use the hardware one as a backup for when I have problems (of my own) typing on the virtual.
  7. josh

josh New Member

I use the virtual keyboard more than the physical one, which is a total surprise to me as I've been very anti-virtual keyboards. I think it says more about how mediocre-to-bad the Droid hardware keyboard is than how good the virtual keyboard is. I can type faster on my BB Pearl w/ SureType than I can on the Droid physical keyboard.
  8. RayPaganJr

RayPaganJr New Member

I use both, but prefer the physical keyboard. I understand about the body glove case, but still like the feel of a real keyboard. I make too many errors with the virtual keyboard and it slows me down considerably.
  9. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

What I found is when I have the Body Glove case on I have a much more difficult time typing on the physical keyboard, and I think maybe its due to the added bulk of the device. Plus like the OP said, it makes that top row difficult.

I have been practicing with the keyboard a lot and am getting better. Though I can bang out emails faster on the landscape virtual one better.
  10. gardobus

gardobus New Member

I use the physical keyboard all the time, I love it. I know most hate it or at least dislike it to a point but I love it and I keep getting faster at it. I like the onscreen ones also for if I'm being lazy or quick or one handed portrait, but when I can, I slide out that bad boy. I've also grown used to the little dpad.
  11. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

+ 1

I actually prefer it over the virtual keyboard....
  12. rlb

rlb New Member

Virtual 100% here. I tried physical but I'm too slow (maybe I haven't given myself enough time to get used to it?)

I also attribute it to the fact that my eyes are seeing the keys & the output at the same time when using the virtual, so I can see my output as I'm typing w/ minimal effort. When using the physical, I have to keep moving my eyes between the physical keys and the screen to make sure I'm typing correctly and this slows me down considerably.
  13. BzB

BzB New Member

virtual most of the time, mainly since i'm used to a 'virtual' keyboard from using the storm. pretty good with that now. physical when i need to have the full screen viewable like in web pages, or when i need to use the d pad for navigating.

it's great to have the option!
  14. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I use both, but probably use the physical keyboard more often. I just don't like wasting all that beautiful screen real estate with the virtual keyboard.
  15. JackT

JackT New Member

I use both. I use the virtual for quick messages or quick typing activities (URLs, etc), but I use the physical for longer messages. I am not a huge fan of the dpad on the right side since I do have to reach over that for typing, but I am getting used to it. I know the keyboard has somethings that could be better, but I appreciate the trade offs that were made to keep the phone thin.
  16. kkwan77

kkwan77 New Member

In the same boat, have not used the physical qwerty kb at all. Too lazy to slide out and slide back when I can just start typing on the touch screen.
  17. DroidFan

DroidFan New Member

At this point, I can too...but I'm wondering if it's because I used the Pearl for 2 years and got VERY adept to Suretype...I'm sure in a month, I'll be just as fast on the Droid...I looking at it as a learning curve.
  18. jaxjaggywires

jaxjaggywires New Member

I haven't used the virtual one...physical all the way.
  19. yearn

yearn New Member

I went from a Vogue, to a Diamond to the Droid.
    So I almost never use the Hardware KB.
    But I have grown very fond of the virtual KB in landscape mode, the buttons are huge and its easy to hit the intended key
  20. thetastelingers

thetastelingers New Member

This.

ten char
Search tags for this page
android typing tutor physical keyboard
can i use a physical keyboard type into a droid x
droid 5 keyboard
droid x how do you open the physical keyboard

how to open apps using physical keyboard andriod

how to use physical keyboard for android

use physical keyboard