do you remove and reinstall or update your apps ?

zero7404

Reaction score
so far i've been just updating my apps via the notifications i get on the bar ....

but yesterday i decided to remove weatherbug elite and reinstall it fresh. after i did this, i noticed that there were some new features available with regard to widgets. maybe this was part of the update, but it raises the question:

which is best, updating or removing and reinstalling the latest from the market ? i would assume the latter, but any input the gurus have i'd appreciate hearing from ....

bomber889

Reaction score
I only reinstall apps if they tell you to reinstall it for updates, other than that, I usually just update.

ScoobyDoo27

Reaction score
Doesn't it just delete and reinstall the newest version of the app?

ScoobyDoo27

Reaction score

When you update it, it does not uninstall the app. It just updates it.

But it always downloads the whole file again. There is no way an update can be 370kb if the app itself was 370kb before the update... That just doesn't make sense. Almost all the apps I have update very small features that wouldn't be the size of the whole app all together.

bomber889

Reaction score

When you update it, it does not uninstall the app. It just updates it.

But it always downloads the whole file again. There is no way an update can be 370kb if the app itself was 370kb before the update... That just doesn't make sense. Almost all the apps I have update very small features that wouldn't be the size of the whole app all together.

True, but some apps require to be uninstalled and reinstalled for the update to take place.

suntasus

Reaction score
app update notifications

Will one always be notified when an app update is available or is there a way to check for current updates?

Droids

Reaction score
More often than not you'll always get an update notice in the notification bar. But if you want to manually check, open the market app then press the Menu button, then select Downloads.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
Its there an app to notify you immediately of updates or install them automatically?

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
Its there an app to notify you immediately of updates or install them automatically?

it's automatic, via the notification bar up top. if u got an app from a source other than the market, then the updates don't appear ...

Phillipsave

Reaction score
Yes, but the market updates once daily, I want something as soon as it hits!

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
Yes, but the market updates once daily, I want something as soon as it hits!

i dunno if that is possible, but if you really want to go into the market, hit the menu and pick downloads. it will show you what updates are available for the software you've installed.

is there any particular reason you would need to be notified sooner than daily ? perhaps the market is set up to only issue update notices daily ? ... not sure

Phillipsave

Reaction score
Zero, it is not a question of need, it's a question of desire. Frankly, if it were merely need, I wouldn't even have a Droid, somehow I did manage to survive all these years without one until now. You're right that Market is set up for once daily updates, that's why I was asking for an app that would update more frequently.

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
prolly there isn't, because if market won't push them out faster than once a day, i don't think there would be an app that could speed things up as it would not be able to do anything different than the market does for you already ...

my guess is it works out for most to push updates once a day ... more frequent push means more frequent network use, etc ....