Do you really want ICS?

ambrown

Reaction score
So I recently had a chance to play with the Galaxy Nexus and I found out that I couldn't add a widget by long pressing the homescreen. I thought, really? Even that basic feature is gone? Don't get me wrong, ICS has some great new features I'd love to have, such as the freezing of unwanted bloatware, but I wasn't expecting that big of a redo on basic functionality.

If you ask me I'd almost rather keep gingerbread. "Almost"; but on the other hand I guess I can always use a custom launcher like Go Launcher, since that's what I've been using anyway. Then I can still customize my homescreens like I always have and still get the goodies of ICS.

What do you think?

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

Last edited:

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I think the features are worthwhile, as well as the added stability. I have few issues having switched to MIUI and now Galnet MIUI which has some ICS framework, but 4.0 is pretty nice from messing with it on CM9. Seems worthwhile.

MIUI tested, mother approved.

catfisher

Reaction score
Well some people absolutely love the standard ICS interface. I personally didn't take issue with it, it just wanted more. So, I unlocked, rooted, and applied a custom ROM that gives the standard features back and even adds some more.

I love this phone. Simply put...I am glad u held on to my X for so long and bought this. I love ICS, especially when I can do near anything I want to it cosmetically. It is smooth fast and I always get near a full day of battery.

What this boils down to is whether you want it or not. It also depends whether or not you want to ROM to get more out of an already good device. I love it, but I could never tell you that you had to. I can only argue the positive.

Sent from my NEXUS running AOKP, Axiom B27. Nexus out!!!

steveil

Reaction score
So I recently had a chance to play with the Galaxy Nexus and I found out that I couldn't add a widget by long pressing the homescreen. I thought, really? Even that basic feature is gone? Don't get me wrong, ICS has some great new features I'd love to have, such as the freezing of unwanted bloatware, but I wasn't expecting that big of a redo on basic functionality.

If you ask me I'd almost rather keep gingerbread. "Almost"; but on the other hand I guess I can always use a custom launcher like Go Launcher, since that's what I've been using anyway. Then I can still customize my homescreens like I always have and still get the goodies of ICS.

What do you think?

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

Well you can still add the widget. I don't think it's that radical change.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It's not a radical change at all, it's just small changes that we're used to with older versions of android that changed. I think it's a bit better as you can see what the widgets look like before you place them on a homescreen (then again I don't remember if that could be done with GB or not).

Small changes, runs smoothers, and overall it's faster, yes I'm glad I got my Nexus and I can't wait for the rest of you to experience it. Also, vanilla Android has quite a bit of differences, we'll just have to wait to see what manufacturer UIs do to the OS.

samiusmc

Reaction score
The new widget configuration takes some getting used to.