Do You Prefer Front Or Rear FingerPrint Scanners?!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
iPhone-6S-Mate-S-Note-5-Fingerprint-Scanner-AA-7-of-7-1340x754.jpg

Pretty much all phones these days come with fingerprint scanners. I even reviewed a $100 smart phone that came with a relatively serviceable fingerprint scanner a while back. This has actually been the trend going back to the iphone 6 and Galaxy S5 with the scanners getting better over time. Today's flagships feature fingerprint scanners that grant you access to your phone in milliseconds. Fingerprint scanners are a huge advancement in smartphone protection for someone like me. The time consumed entering a pin, swipe pattern or password made unlocking my phone a chore. As someone who unlocks a my phone several times per hour the chore was so off putting that I eventually did away with securing my phone altogether.

Fingerprint scanners are so quick and easy and require no thought at all. Once I figured out how useful they were I finally began locking my phone again and have not turned back. There are those of you that will argue that fingerprint scanners are less secure since anyone, including law enforcement could physically force you to unlock your phone bio metrically. If your phone was locked with a password they would have to crack the code with the threat of wiping it. Still for everyday use for those not paranoid a fingerprint scanner keeps nosey people and thieves out of your phone.

There are all sorts of different types of fingerprint scanners. There are capacitive fingerprint readers and physical button fingerprint readers. There are also different placements. Some phones like the Nexus 6P and LG G5 have the fingerprint scanner on the rear of the device. This is great for easily unlocking your device while it is being held like when removing from you pocket, but is awful for when the phone is sitting flat on a table. There are fingerprint scanners on the front of devices like with the HTC 10 and Galaxy S7 Edge. These are generally easy to access when the phone is sitting on a desk, but can be more difficult to use when holding the device especially when extracting from a pocket. You generally have to grab the phone and unlock once it is within your line of sight.

Which placement do you prefer for the fingerprint scanner. I personally prefer the rear placement of the LG G5 and Nexus 6P. I am always on the go and rarely at a desk so I like being able to essentially unlock my device before the phone is infront of my face. Every person has a different train of though. Why do you like a particular fingerprint placement? Sound off in the comments below.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Haven't experienced the rear mounted scanner but the one on the home button of the S7 is convenient since it's the button I use to wake the phone anyway. For me it's one combined action, press then hold.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I never lock my device unless I'm travelling. My S5 is setup to be easily tracked if lost. I've forgotten it at the store twice in the past 3 years and both times it was returned to me within 30 minutes. People (for the most part) are trustworthy in my town, but any other time, whether I'm fishing, camping, or travelling outside of town and I'll use a pin. That said, I'm sure that once I finally update to my next Sammy device I'll use the fingerprint scanner.

S5 tap'n

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
The rear of the Phone would be the best place. When you hold your phone your finger automatically goes to the area.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Rear. I'm saying that having used the front one on the Note 4 with considerably less success than the rear placed on on my 6P. I know part of that is simply a better scanner and software to support it, but like others have said, my index finger goes to that point naturally, making it easy to unlock one-handed while doing other things.

With that said, I have my house as a trusted place, truck, watch urbane, and BT earbuds as trusted devices, so I don't have to use it very often. I still place my finger there even when it's unlocked because of Smart Lock though because I figure I may as well keep giving it data to become even more accurate.

plumber75

Reaction score
I've now had both the S7 Edge and the 6P. I like the sensor on the the rear much better. My finger naturally ends up on the back when I take out of my pocket. Now with the S7 (which by the way is a really nice phone, probably nicer than the 6P) I have to take the phone out of my pocket clumsily roll it over and lay my thumb on the lower edge of the phone without dropping it. Either way print scanners are the way to go.
My choice is back of the phone, ergonomically much better.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Rear.
But I can see where going the route of Apple and Apple Jr (Samsung) and going front home button fingerprint scanner is useful.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I like the front ...and I only say this bc for my usage it lays on a desk front facing up ...

6S PLUS
That definitely makes a difference. My phone is in my pocket all day at work. When I get home, it's generally laying face up somewhere near me if I'm sitting around, but Smart Lock takes care of needing to unlock rather than just a swipe at that point. On the rare occasion that I DO have my phone on my desk at work, I'm wearing my watch and taking advantage of Smart Lock there too though.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
That definitely makes a difference. My phone is in my pocket all day at work. When I get home, it's generally laying face up somewhere near me if I'm sitting around, but Smart Lock takes care of needing to unlock rather than just a swipe at that point. On the rare occasion that I DO have my phone on my desk at work, I'm wearing my watch and taking advantage of Smart Lock there too though.

Yup that works .... I'm always in places where I need it locked ...so for me it's easier to have front even in pocket ...but I totally have no issues either way I can adjust especially with a smartwatch ...

6S PLUS

Domestic violence

Reaction score
rear. Definitely. Especially since the G2 I had was just so natural. I had an iP6 and loved the scanners speed but really didn't like the placement.

Current 6P is perfect, even with any of my cases on it. Perfect location, perfect speed and perfect accuracy

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just as i suspected it seems like only you white collar folks prefer the front facing scanner for that laying on top of the desk situation.

How about this. If you were on vacation and away from your desk for an entire week would you prefer the rear placement?

On another note it seems most of you who have tried both prefer the rear placement.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Just as i suspected it seems like only you white collar folks prefer the front facing scanner for that laying on top of the desk situation.

How about this. If you were on vacation and away from your desk for an entire week would you prefer the rear placement?

On another note it seems most of you who have tried both prefer the rear placement.
My collar is white brother. I'm head of my own IT department. I'm the only one in the department, but still.

Reactions: cr6