Do you like the fact that rooting/jailbreaking is legal? then listen up!

alboboy10

Reaction score
Kind of how they want to tell every other country to turn into a democracy while we are quickly moving away from it and heading towards some kind of corporate run dictatorship. What happened to 'the land of the free'?

What it boils down to, imo, is we aren't renting our phones from them like a car. I can understand not messing with something that you rent, but I OWN my phone. They don't.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

And rooting an android isn't like you're doing it to get free apps. You can get free things regardless. You're doing it for personal reasons. It just makes no sense at all to make this illegal.

As u said though America is just a corporate ran dictatorship. There was Stalin, Mussolini, Saddam, and America has corporations. It's pathetic. A few rich billionaires run a country of 300 million.

Talon66721

Reaction score
And rooting an android isn't like you're doing it to get free apps. You can get free things regardless. You're doing it for personal reasons. It just makes no sense at all to make this illegal.

As u said though America is just a corporate ran dictatorship. There was Stalin, Mussolini, Saddam, and America has corporations. It's pathetic. A few rich billionaires run a country of 300 million.

I can tell we would get along well! You're right, we're not doing it for nefarious reasons. We're doing it to get rid of the bloatware primarily, and to keep our devices from becoming obsolete because the manufacturer and provider won't support it long enough. Also, to improve on what their lousy devs can't do adequately. I don't think any of our devs would release a newer version of a rom that makes the hard keys so bright and be able to sleep at night. Like the DX going from Froyo to GB. You can use the key lights alone for a flashlight. It's pathetic.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
Did anyone actually read the article? Why are people making such claims about the government trying to take away freedom of take away control of our devices?

Read the article! It is a non-issue..... the copy right office already declared it is not illegal to root out jailbreak and the article simply explains that these decisions by the copy right office need tried every three years.

Nobody is trying to take anything away. They are simply required to review and I guarantee the decision will not change. It will never be illegal to root out phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Yea, this is basically like saying if you buy a new car you can only drive it to these specific locations and nowhere else and you have to drive it between these hours. It's ludicrous, once you own something there should be no strings attached. Not to get too political but this is why I like Ron Paul; he simply wants to get the government out of our personal lives where they don't belong and never belonged in the first place. If individual states want to implement and enforce laws like this one then so be it but it shouldn't be mandated to the entire country by the government that's abuse of power. Back across history when there were laws that people didn't agree with the solution was to boycott the law thus hitting the institutions where it hurts the most; their MONEY! In this day and age it would be really difficult to orchestrate such a boycott especially of all mobile devices since people are so dependent and really aren't willing to truly stand up against unfair laws. Imagine if any large group of consumers did stop buying mobile devices because it was no longer legal to root/unlock them. The corporations would go crying back to their mamas.. err um to the government and say we changed our minds; let them root!

alboboy10

Reaction score
I'm a fan of ron paul as well. Sad that he's not higher on the polls.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post pc747! It's technically a duplicate, because we ran it previously here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...emption-dmca-soon-expire-eff-doesnt-want.html.

However, this is still a pretty important topic and it is much appreciated to keep getting the word out. Yes, it is more than likely that the US Copyright office will not make any changes, but if we do nothing, then we really do not know for sure. It is always best to voice your perspective to make sure that our freedoms do not get trampled on!

ntrddragn

Reaction score
Thanks for the post pc747! It's technically a duplicate, because we ran it previously here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...emption-dmca-soon-expire-eff-doesnt-want.html.

However, this is still a pretty important topic and it is much appreciated to keep getting the word out. Yes, it is more than likely that the US Copyright office will not make any changes, but if we do nothing, then we really do not know for sure. It is always best to voice your perspective to make sure that our freedoms do not get trampled on!

Agree. We can't assume. You know what they say... Don't assume because it make ass out of u and me. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

jedihep

Reaction score
Honestly I can't see that they wouldn't re-up their stand on this. There is far too much evidence that this would be too hard to gain control over at this point and that it'd be damn near impossible to truly enforce. Look at the music, movie, software, and fashion industries! These are but a few of the resounding failures to control items/products. They would have even more of a stretch in that this is personal property. This said one resounding truth is unflappable about government. It's stupid! The dumbest thing on the planet! Hell lemmings are 10,000 times smarter than government! So there's no sure way to figure what way they'll go with this but if they want to give it a whirl at making this illegal as well, then let them learn again that what the public wants it will get! Like Mr. Universe said, "You can't stop the signal!" Seriously Uncle Sam! Do you really think that this is any different than a little white sign on the side of the road!? If you are that dumb then clog the justice system further! But the government will come to the same end conclusion as they have with music, and movie personal use, maybe attempting to regulate it somewhat, but ultimately pursuing it with general halfheartedness and indecisive apathy at best! Personally I'd prefer if the government would be smart about this but I'd like them to be intelligent about a great many things! I personally haven't rooted my device but I want the option and I believe that others should have that same option to choose as well!!!

Last edited: