1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Do you like the fact that rooting/jailbreaking is legal? then listen up!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by pc747, Jan 27, 2012.

1. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member

The law that allows us to root/jailbreak our devices with out any legal action is now about to expire. Personally I root because I am tired or oems forcing us ti have unremovable bloatware and not supporting their devices. Yes some oems are better than other with providing updates but we have seen them release devices and refuse to provide updates. Thanks to rooting/jailbreaking users have the freedom to do what ever they want with their devices with out penalty of law. Yes we may void our warranty but that is far better than being treated like a criminal. Yes some people use rooting/jailbreaking for malicious reasons but the majority of us including iphone users just want to modify our devices. So whether you own an android or an iphone if you love to root/jailbreak then we need to act to ensure we preserve our rights to do so. So spread the news to all android users and iphone users alike speak up and be heard.

Thanks to android central for the article, please see this site for more info.

https://www.eff.org/pages/jailbreaking-not-crime-tell-copyright-office-free-your-devices
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2012
  2. Quicksilver7714

Quicksilver7714 DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Thanks for posting this pc.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  3. pc747

Spread the word to other android forums.
  4. TSXXX

TSXXX New Member

Another way for the government to try and control us.

Sent from my GummyNex :)
  5. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Thanks for posting this pc!!
  6. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Done! Thanks for the links PC.
  7. Durania

Durania New Member

Signed.

If they want to fix a problem on the internet or technology in general. Go after these damn websites hosting malware and viruses.

Anyone running for reelection this year need not expect a vote from me.
  8. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

Legal or not it doesn't really stop anything. Downloading movies and music is illegal yet people still do it 100 times a day. Drugs are illegal and yet people still go out of their way to get them and use them. While I will put my hand up in saying keep it legal it doesn't entirely matter because it's not worth the time or money to enforce it and punish people for doing what they're going to do anyway.
  9. iveman89

iveman89 New Member

Long Live the User
  10. metalspring

metalspring New Member

maybe, but dont forget what they did at first to people that downloaded music and movies...they actually went after arrests and all that, not to mention that they went after every site you could download free music from (like limewire), just imagine if they try to do that to people that root or jailbreak? yes it might not eliminate rooting but it could certainly hurt it
  11. creaky

creaky Member

Petition signed; now I am preparing comments to submit to the US Copyright Office.

Thanks for posting this pc.
  12. Talon66721

Talon66721 New Member

Also, from what I understand of it, it will be a felony to root/jailbreak. Can you believe that? It will be a felony to do what I want with MY device that I paid $700 for. Really? How is it different than a computer? We can load whatever os we want on it, right? Linux, Ubunto, no problem. But not our phone. What's the difference? We paid for both, own them. Can I tell you what you can do with your car? No, you can't put another engine in it. You have to leave the original in it. No upgrades or improvements. Can someone help me understand what I'm missing?

Edit: Sorry had to rant a bit first. Signed!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  13. pc747

Yes I signed and commented and I am working on writing they copyright office as well. Ill share what I wrote once its finished.
  14. alboboy10

alboboy10 New Member

Still its about the idea...the principal. You're being taken another freedom.

They're making so many rules for everything and so many things illegal its dumb.

This government criticises other governments of not giving people rights. But they take away your rights here, about small things like this
  15. Talon66721

Talon66721 New Member

Kind of how they want to tell every other country to turn into a democracy while we are quickly moving away from it and heading towards some kind of corporate run dictatorship. What happened to 'the land of the free'?

What it boils down to, imo, is we aren't renting our phones from them like a car. I can understand not messing with something that you rent, but I OWN my phone. They don't.

16. alboboy10

alboboy10 New Member

And rooting an android isn't like you're doing it to get free apps. You can get free things regardless. You're doing it for personal reasons. It just makes no sense at all to make this illegal.

As u said though America is just a corporate ran dictatorship. There was Stalin, Mussolini, Saddam, and America has corporations. It's pathetic. A few rich billionaires run a country of 300 million.
  17. Talon66721

Talon66721 New Member

I can tell we would get along well! You're right, we're not doing it for nefarious reasons. We're doing it to get rid of the bloatware primarily, and to keep our devices from becoming obsolete because the manufacturer and provider won't support it long enough. Also, to improve on what their lousy devs can't do adequately. I don't think any of our devs would release a newer version of a rom that makes the hard keys so bright and be able to sleep at night. Like the DX going from Froyo to GB. You can use the key lights alone for a flashlight. It's pathetic.

18. catnapped

catnapped New Member

Told ya this would be next!
  19. Jungle King 76

Jungle King 76 New Member

Did anyone actually read the article? Why are people making such claims about the government trying to take away freedom of take away control of our devices?

Read the article! It is a non-issue..... the copy right office already declared it is not illegal to root out jailbreak and the article simply explains that these decisions by the copy right office need tried every three years.

Nobody is trying to take anything away. They are simply required to review and I guarantee the decision will not change. It will never be illegal to root out phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  20. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

Yea, this is basically like saying if you buy a new car you can only drive it to these specific locations and nowhere else and you have to drive it between these hours. It's ludicrous, once you own something there should be no strings attached. Not to get too political but this is why I like Ron Paul; he simply wants to get the government out of our personal lives where they don't belong and never belonged in the first place. If individual states want to implement and enforce laws like this one then so be it but it shouldn't be mandated to the entire country by the government that's abuse of power. Back across history when there were laws that people didn't agree with the solution was to boycott the law thus hitting the institutions where it hurts the most; their MONEY! In this day and age it would be really difficult to orchestrate such a boycott especially of all mobile devices since people are so dependent and really aren't willing to truly stand up against unfair laws. Imagine if any large group of consumers did stop buying mobile devices because it was no longer legal to root/unlock them. The corporations would go crying back to their mamas.. err um to the government and say we changed our minds; let them root!