Do you get random reboots?

MrKleen

Reaction score
Well now you guys are just kicking me in the butt aren't you.

Another last ditch option if your os is somehow messed up is starting over with either an sbf if you are comfortable with that or the Maderstcok.zip method.

Here is a link for information on maderstcok.zip

maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip

Lakaduce

Reaction score
My DX started acting up after applying the update from 2.2 to 2.2.1. I've backed up and reformatted the SD card, turned off Milestone and I'm just one step away from a factory reset when I find a free afternoon, although many posts here suggest that won't help either.

I have System version 2.3.340 MB810.Verizon.en.US. Will Maderstcok just give me a clean system version or is there other updates?

Anyone have any success reverting from Android 2.2.1 back to 2.2?

MrKleen

Reaction score
My DX started acting up after applying the update from 2.2 to 2.2.1. I've backed up and reformatted the SD card, turned off Milestone and I'm just one step away from a factory reset when I find a free afternoon, although many posts here suggest that won't help either.

I have System version 2.3.340 MB810.Verizon.en.US. Will Maderstcok just give me a clean system version or is there other updates?

Anyone have any success reverting from Android 2.2.1 back to 2.2?

The Maderstcok will give you a clean new install just like doing an sbf. You do not have to install anything else. You will be stock...

Do not try and go back to 2.2 from 2.2.1 because it's not the same bootloader.

JFDroid

Reaction score
I cannot figure this out. I've SBF'd, ran my phone stock, tried custom ROMs, ran my phone without root, booted into safe mode, updated my baseband/kernel/system, formatted and defragged my SD card, ran my phone without an SD card, and more... and my phone still reboots randomly and frequently regardless of situation/ROM/root status/any other setting. And this is a new device that I just received via warranty replacement about two weeks ago. My previous phone had the same rebooting problems, with the same random frequency of reboots.

Is it best to continue playing the call CS and get a replacement game?

Please tell me others out there are having the same maddening issues?

At this rate... though I didn't want to... I think I'll be upgrading to the Thunderbolt soon... ugh!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

MrKleen

Reaction score
Can't blame you. If I went through all that I would probably do the same.

Lakaduce

Reaction score
Hopefully the android update from 2.2.1 to 2.2.2 will be released soon that will fix the problems many have experienced with the OTA update from 2.2.

If you currently have 2.2, don't touch it!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

MrKleen

Reaction score
Hopefully the android update from 2.2.1 to 2.2.2 will be released soon that will fix the problems many have experienced with the OTA update from 2.2.

If you currently have 2.2, don't touch it!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Why? Very few have issues numbers wise.

JFMFT

Reaction score
Can't blame you. If I went through all that I would probably do the same.

My phone reboots too! Most often during phone calls... if I wanted a phone that essentially dropped calls (since a reboot obviously drops the call), I'd pick up an iPhone on AT&T...

I don't really trust Motorola with updates anymore, nor with phones. I know they've been cutting edge on their phones and their phones do feel sturdy/strong in the hand (and do look sexy imho), but I'm through with this crappy Droid X. I too am going to pick up the Thunderbolt.

I was on the phone with *611 employee accounts team (customer care for VZW employees) today and my phone rebooted during the call while I was explaining to the rep about my reboot problems. I called back and luckily got the same rep. She profusely apologized, and I thanked her and let her know I know it's not her fault my phone is a piece of junk.

We collaborated and agreed the best option is just to upgrade to a new device; she says she's never had much luck with Motorola phones, either. I guess her son has a Droid X and has been suffering horrible reboots as well... and sure, it isn't everyone that's suffering these problems, but for the select few who are, and with a locked bootloader preventing us from switching kernels to something more stable (I'm sure it's a kernel issue in how it interfaces with the hardware), Motorola's buggy software updates do more harm than good.

I suggest anyone with an available upgrade suffering horrible reboot problems, take a serious look into unboxing videos of the HTC Thunderbolt. I think it could save many of us from our problems with the Droid X.

MrKleen

Reaction score
While I am not having any troubles with my phone I too am seriously considering the Thunderbolt! I also feel that Motorola isn't on our side, and that's a sad statement.

I used to have all kinds of problems with my D1 and the only thing that fixed it were custom Roms.

jerryc41

Reaction score
"I also feel that Motorola isn't on our side, and that's a sad statement."

Unfortunately, businesses are not on the side of the customer. Their goal is to make money and keep the complaints below the radar. If they do that, it's bonuses all around.

I've learned not to buy loads of accessories for a new cell phone because my next one will need new chargers, etc.

Dasgard

Reaction score
Incorrect

I factory reset my x, formatted the sd card, didnt install anything extra I am stock non-rooted and I still get the reboot problem. I took it into my local Verizon Wireless store and the service tech told me they are aware of the problem, they have passed the issue to Motorola and they won't do anything for me I have to wait for motorola to issue a patch.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I factory reset my x, formatted the sd card, didnt install anything extra I am stock non-rooted and I still get the reboot problem. I took it into my local Verizon Wireless store and the service tech told me they are aware of the problem, they have passed the issue to Motorola and they won't do anything for me I have to wait for motorola to issue a patch.

So they know about the problem, and we are SOL, as Motorola is unlikely to spend any time fixing a phone that they plan to sunset soon and will be "obsolete".

Wonderful!

Rocko

Reaction score
With android and other OS's you will get glitches/reboots/etc that in my short experience with the stock OS, ROM's, etc. mostly happen when applications-stock or market react badly, whether its with other apps or with the OS. I had almost a daily reboot with the stock OS when I tried to turn the alarm clock off. I installed a different alarm and bingo no rebooting. There is no way Moto or any other company have time to find out why each phone reboots if it has any apps installed on it. Just to many variables. Now a bone stock no-app phone shouldn't in theory reboot of glitch and if it does Moto should be able to pinpoint the problem-in theory.

If you get reboots after hard reset/cache wipe/SD Card reformat/SD Card swap out without any apps at all installed, I say it's time for a replacement phone.

Dasgard

Reaction score
Problem with that

With android and other OS's you will get glitches/reboots/etc that in my short experience with the stock OS, ROM's, etc. mostly happen when applications-stock or market react badly, whether its with other apps or with the OS. I had almost a daily reboot with the stock OS when I tried to turn the alarm clock off. I installed a different alarm and bingo no rebooting. There is no way Moto or any other company have time to find out why each phone reboots if it has any apps installed on it. Just to many variables. Now a bone stock no-app phone shouldn't in theory reboot of glitch and if it does Moto should be able to pinpoint the problem-in theory.

If you get reboots after hard reset/cache wipe/SD Card reformat/SD Card swap out without any apps at all installed, I say it's time for a replacement phone.

I'd love to but the VZW store that I went to was no help. Their service techs have a message in their system about the Droid X saying not to replace the phone. Thats why the tech told me I had to wait for Motorola.

Rocko

Reaction score

I'd love to but the VZW store that I went to was no help. Their service techs have a message in their system about the Droid X saying not to replace the phone. Thats why the tech told me I had to wait for Motorola.
Call Verizon. Don't go to the store. Call tech support. Tell them it's rebooting X amount of times per day and it's not right. Tell them you have done master reset, etc. etc. Let them try it with you again. Tell them you want a replacement phone. Don't tell them you heard they are not replacing them, or you went in and they said they are not replacing them.