Do you get random reboots?

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Please read my post about 3 up from here. This is a very easy situation to correct and there is no need to replace your phone. If the factory reset does not fix the problem then reformatting your sd card will.

Why take a chance on getting a crappy refurb when it's a very simple thing to fix? I don't understand why people want to make things so complicated.

We read it, but I don't think that it is the fix. If you don't know what caused it, then a simple reset most likely will not fix it, and neither will formatting your SD card.

The reason is that the issue seemed to come up with the latest release. We can do a reset, but as soon as we install a certain app, or whatever the real problem happens to be, we will be right back where we started.

What you suggest is the "Microsoft Windows Fix"... meaning, whenever your machine acts up, just reboot it. That fixes things only until you relaunch that app, access that file, or your video driver crashes again.

It's a short term fix at best, and so we are trying to figure out what the real solution, if any, there is.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Ok believe what you will but this has been discussed many times before and been solved. It has nothing to do with the latest release as random reboots have been around since the D1.

Do what you guys want with your phones but if you want to be done with it follow my advice. If you don't want to do a search to confirm what I say you can either live with it or get a refurb that is worse than what you have.

I am not saying anything new here it has been discussed and resolved long ago. If it were as you say everyone would have the problem. And if I were wrong the reset or sd card wouldn't fix it....

But we all have the right to do what we wish.... Good luck!

Reset or sd card...

timrock

Reaction score
Ok believe what you will but this has been discussed many times before and been solved. It has nothing to do with the latest release as random reboots have been around since the D1.

Do what you guys want with your phones but if you want to be done with it follow my advice. If you don't want to do a search to confirm what I say you can either live with it or get a refurb that is worse than what you have.

I am not saying anything new here it has been discussed and resolved long ago. If it were as you say everyone would have the problem. And if I were wrong the reset or sd card wouldn't fix it....

But we all have the right to do what we wish.... Good luck!

Reset or sd card...
i have not reformatted my card and the problem seems to have gone away. i did not hard reset my phone either.

i formatted my card months ago when i was having gallery issues. after that, the reboot problems were still there.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Please read my post about 3 up from here. This is a very easy situation to correct and there is no need to replace your phone. If the factory reset does not fix the problem then reformatting your sd card will.

Why take a chance on getting a crappy refurb when it's a very simple thing to fix? I don't understand why people want to make things so complicated.

Neither have worked for me, and I've done both several times.

MrKleen

Reaction score

Do you overclock or use app killers?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Do you overclock or use app killers?

Negative...

I've been getting the random reboots, at least two or three times a day, since the latest update as well. I'm rooted, stock, Launcher Pro, no task killer, and no overclock, and no other mods. It happens to me at different times - when pressing the power button, unlocking the screen, opening some apps (there aren't any specific ones that do it, but it just happens at random times), and when I'm not doing anything. Never had any problems before the latest update.

Rocko

Reaction score
Master reset, no apps installed, cleared cache. Run this and see if it reboots. Slowly add apps back until you find the culprit-if it's apps.

Borntodroid

Reaction score
Have had Droid X for one month, and have had random reboots since I got it. Sometimes a couple of times a week, sometimes a couple of times a day. I also use Launcher Pro, along with a couple dozen other programs. However, the sdcard problem may have some merit. My sdcard is apparently corrupted. Today phone said to insert sdcard - no card. I have posted in the rescue section to see if someone has any ideas (other than card apparently went bad). Already knew that. I will post however to let you know if random reboot issue stops.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Master reset, no apps installed, cleared cache. Run this and see if it reboots. Slowly add apps back until you find the culprit-if it's apps.

Already did that about a week ago. Had the phone rest, cleared, unrooted, with no apps installed by me, for a little over a day. Still had 2 random freezes that resulted in reboots.

timrock

Reaction score

Already did that about a week ago. Had the phone rest, cleared, unrooted, with no apps installed by me, for a little over a day. Still had 2 random freezes that resulted in reboots.
can you try using No Lock and see what happens. I've had it installed for about 6 days now and no random reboots.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

can you try using No Lock and see what happens. I've had it installed for about 6 days now and no random reboots.

I'll give it a shot.

...ha, ha. And of course as soon as it finishes installing, the phone freezes and reboots. I'll see if running it helps out any.

While it happens at random times, it seems like it happens most often when the power button is pressed to turn the screen on/off or when there is an orientation change.

Lakaduce

Reaction score
I've had my Droid X since it was released in September and for the most part, I love this phone.

My random reboots also started with the latest Verizon OTA update to 2.2.1. I have it rooted, overclocked with milestone to 1.150 Mhz and increased voltage from .65 to .70. I am running launcher pro and have many non-market apps. It was running perfectly until the lastest OTA update. I unloaded Milestone and removed Launcher Pro. I also removed ATK since a task killer is no longer needed with Froyo, but it still reboots randomly.

It would be nice to revert back to 2.2, but I don't see where that is possible. I will try to reformat the SD card first since I am scared of the factory reset and that I won't get all my apps back or something will get screwed up in the process. I am running Titanium Backup so will that assure that everything will be as it was if I do a factory reset?

timrock

Reaction score
It would be nice to revert back to 2.2, but I don't see where that is possible. I will try to reformat the SD card first since I am scared of the factory reset and that I won't get all my apps back or something will get screwed up in the process. I am running Titanium Backup so will that assure that everything will be as it was if I do a factory reset?

after the hard reset, and you put in your account information like you did when you first got the phone, all of your apps will proceed to download from the market. or you can just ignore that, and restore your latest backup using titanium.

MrKleen

Reaction score
One thing that will cause my phone to random reboot is the overclocking apps. It will run great for a while then reboot while it's just sitting there. I've given up on finding stable settings for overclocking since I prefer my phone to work properly.

And yes when you do a reset your apps will re download automatically along with your contacts.

If you want to do a simple test before you do a reset pop in a different sd card if you have one. Try this for a while to see if the reboots go away. Sd card issues are pretty common.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did a factory reset last night and formatted the SD card.

Result? Phone still reboots. Just did it twice in a 3 minute period.

Getting a little tired of this, I have to admit. So far, the rest and SD format is absolutely not the fix. Something is causing this, either the OS itself or some app that we all have in common, and a reset only "fixes" it until you either instal that app, or the OS hits that piece of faulty code or whatever...