Do you get random reboots?

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
What I am seeing here is no clear pattern, which points to either a hardware issue or an OS issue, not a specific app.

I had 3 reboots yesterday, one while texting, one while scrolling on the home page, and one while the phone was just sitting there.

Annoying, to say the least.

Maybe Gingerbread will fix it?

timrock

Reaction score
this needs to be fixed before gingerbread, since we have no clue on when specifically, it will be released.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
this needs to be fixed before gingerbread, since we have no clue on when specifically, it will be released.

I agree, but I don't think that Verizon has even acknowledged a problem, so I don't see it happening.

timrock

Reaction score

I agree, but I don't think that Verizon has even acknowledged a problem, so I don't see it happening.

neither do i. i know other people who have the same phone and they dont experience it at all. and it would be hard to prove it happens, if it doesnt happen right in front of the verizon rep.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mine has rebooted twice this morning. Just now, all I did was unlock the screen.

This is getting really old already. My roommate just got a new DX last night and it is bone stock, no root or anything, so it will be interesting to see if her's starts doing it.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score

I'm guessing GB will bring more issues.

Froyo blessed some of us with getting stuck on the /\/\ when turning on phone.

The newest "fix update" was suppose to fix that issue and then blessed me and

some others with reboot issues. Either with slide lock, USB connection to PC or

just out of the blue. Verizon updates are a joke. If it weren't for devs building off

the newest versions I would never update to begin with. JMO. I'm not expecting

anything good from GB other than visual. Which we have anyway.

lostnbroken

Reaction score
I get the reboots only since the OS update that Verizon sent to my phone. I didn't have to go searching, I had a message that an update was available, so I downloaded it. I am not rooted, and I've been running ADW since day one of having my phone. I am not running any Antivirus. Sometimes I will try to do something like access email or open my Handscent to send a text message and the phone will freeze. If I try to press to turn the screen off, it reboots. Other times since the update, it could be sitting untouched and just reboot. Then, there are days since the update where I have no reboots at all. Yup, it's annoying!

Mine as well except there is at least one reboot everyday. Ever since the the newest Verizon update it restarts everyday, multiples times a day. I did a factory reset & the next day the speaker went out on my phone so I got a replacement phone from Verizon & didn't really get to see if the factory reset had actually helped or not. I left the new phone alone with out adding anything to it just to see if maybe it was one of my Apps I had on my previous phone. Well, even with a fresh start, the phone reboots still all the time. I wont be doing anything and I look over at my phone because it lit up & it's rebooting. I am not rooted, running on Verizons most recent system version, I don't use ADW but do use LauncherPro. I love my phone even with the reboots & just hoping the next update will help with the problem.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can't we just get a stock copy of GB from someone with a Nexus S or something? Do we have to run Verizon's flavor of the OS?

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, at least if an update caused it, another update could fix it, right?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I've been getting the random reboots, at least two or three times a day, since the latest update as well. I'm rooted, stock, Launcher Pro, no task killer, and no overclock, and no other mods. It happens to me at different times - when pressing the power button, unlocking the screen, opening some apps (there aren't any specific ones that do it, but it just happens at random times), and when I'm not doing anything. Never had any problems before the latest update.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Random reboots are usually software related and also usually very easy to resolve.

Simply do a factory data reset. Go to your settings menu, then click privacy, then factory data reset.

All a factory data reset does is load a fresh copy of the software you are running. No matter if you are stock or running a custom rom it just loads it fresh and unblemished.

The only other cause is your sd card. If the factory data reset does not resolve the issue simply reformat your sd card. Of course first make a backup of your needed sd card contents so you can return them to the sd card when done.

One of these two solutions will resolve the issue. It's been discussed many times.

Good luck!

empress1

Reaction score
I have been getting random reboots since the last update. Generally they happen when I am using the keyboard. I run stock and don't have a ton of apps installed.

I went to the closest Verizon store and they said they had never heard of the issue that I described. They tried a factory reset and the minute I left the store it rebooted on its own. They next step was a warranty replacement (my phone is about 4 months old.) That phone was worse than mine. The screen would not respond at all so that went back.

My next step will be to try calling Verizon. I think it is really crummy that I have to get a refurb (AKA someone elses junk) because my phone does not work correctly.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is what concerns me... So many different configurations seem to have the same reboot problem. Some rooted, some not. Some using different launchers, some completely stock. Some overclocked, some running stock speed.

And some have done factory resets and it fixed the problem, and some it has no effect.

This has to be an OS issue, and I wish they would address it. Luckily, it has not rebooted on me when I was on a phone call, but it is a real pain when you go to use the phone and it just reboots itself for no reason.

timrock

Reaction score
i havent had a reboot in about 5 days. i installed No Lock on my phone, so now i dont have to slide to unlock, and since then, i havent had any reboots. Let me keep my fingers crossed.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Please read my post about 3 up from here. This is a very easy situation to correct and there is no need to replace your phone. If the factory reset does not fix the problem then reformatting your sd card will.

Why take a chance on getting a crappy refurb when it's a very simple thing to fix? I don't understand why people want to make things so complicated.