Do you get random reboots?

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Decided to make a thread to help narrow this down, as I see different people having similar issues and I want to see what the common factor is. The other thread dealt with reboots when you plugged the phone into a USB port.

I am looking at phones that just restart themselves, while sitting there doing nothing. Like it can be sitting on a table, not plugged in, not being used, screen off... and then it just reboots itself.

If you experience this, can you list what version of the OS(or ROM) you are, if it is rooted, whether it is overclocked, and whether you are using a launcher replacement like Launcher Pro or ADW.

I want to see if we can pick out a pattern. I think it is ADW, but others say it is not and so let's see if we can figure this out.

Mine: DX running the latest release from Verizon, rooted, overclocked to 1,1Ghz with stock voltage.

I saw the restarts with AWDLauncher EX. I clocked it back to stock, and it still would randomly restart. I uninstalled ADW and put on LP, and I have not seen it restart in the last 24 hours. But the problem is that if you are not looking at the phone when it happens, you could miss it.

Anyone else?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Simply put, Droid does not do random reboots unless something is wrong. Either you've got a task killer, antivirus, or maybe that launchers causing it. It's generally a rogue app.

If you have pulled the launcher and it didn't do it, I'd say you've answered your own question.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Simply put, Droid does not do random reboots unless something is wrong. Either you've got a task killer, antivirus, or maybe that launchers causing it. It's generally a rogue app.

If you have pulled the launcher and it didn't do it, I'd say you've answered your own question.

And I would agree with all of that. I don't use a task killer as there is no point with this OS, and I don't use Anti-Virus for the same reason.

However, other people that don't have ADW get the restarts, so I wanted to see if we could determine a patter or trend.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know a wide majority of people getting random USB reboots when they connect to PC. This came about right after the last update. I had flashed 2.3.15 sbf, updated the new OTA and before I had done anything to my phone I had reboots.

So yes, it does get random reboots. I even had one on lockscreen. I don't OC, no anti virus and no ATK.
I fixed my reboots by moving all my apps that were sitting on SD card back over to my phone. It worked for someone else last night. Not saying this will do the trick for you, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX w/DF app\\

timrock

Reaction score
i get them everyday.
i am rooted and running stock os (latest version). this occurred before rooting as well. and i have tried adw, launcherpro and adw ex and it has happened with all of them. i also have apps frozen as well. but again, this has happened with apps frozen and unfrozen.

xush

Reaction score
I get rebooted when I connect to a computer, but that's the only time. I am using ADW ex, it's not causing me any reboots.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
I get them occasionally, maybe once every couple of weeks that I notice. I'm rooted running Rubix 1.9.0 with ADW. I have no task killer, & no overclock. It also happened (more frequently) when I was on Rubix 1.0 with no ADW.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, so presently it happens with no pattern, which may indicate a hardware issue. Let's see what trends emerge, if any, as more people respond with their experiences.

timrock

Reaction score
i see it happening in 2 occasions:
1 - when my phone is just lying there, untouched, screen off.
2 - when i slide to unlock it.

Peaceful75

Reaction score
I get the reboots only since the OS update that Verizon sent to my phone. I didn't have to go searching, I had a message that an update was available, so I downloaded it. I am not rooted, and I've been running ADW since day one of having my phone. I am not running any Antivirus. Sometimes I will try to do something like access email or open my Handscent to send a text message and the phone will freeze. If I try to press to turn the screen off, it reboots. Other times since the update, it could be sitting untouched and just reboot. Then, there are days since the update where I have no reboots at all. Yup, it's annoying!

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Mine had not rebooted for days since I took adw off, but today it did it as I was flipping between home screens. Just went from the center one to another, reboot.

Redjak

Reaction score
I've been having this problem lately, never used to. I rooted my phone, still running stock OS, but I did get a free launcher called Zeam from the Market...I don't think it's that thought because this recently happened, within the past few days, and I've had Zeam for a few weeks. No OC or anything here either.

JFDroid

Reaction score
I get reboots too. I'm running rooted stock 2.2.1 with Launcher Pro, no overclock, no other mods. Root is only for wireless tether and removing some bloatware (city ID, Skype, etc.)

Worse, I get this slowdown problem where my phone goes into turtle mode until I do a battery pull. This is a newly replaced FRU device.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

gunrsm8

Reaction score
I was getting random reboots also...was told by Verizon I had to remove the battery first, which I did. Reboots continued, next Verizon person said I had to do a factory rest, which I did yesterday. Now I'm just waiting to see if that fixed the problem. Only thing I've done with the phone is download and use Launcher Pro. Everything else came on the phone at purchase. I DID lose my "craigsnotifica" app and now cannot find it in the market, which is a bummer, but maybe I would rather have that than the continual rebooting.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App