Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well I can see how you might derive that from what I've posted, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it isn't good. Certainly charging overnight to 100 percent with the standard charger is better for the battery than doing the same thing with the turbo charger simply because the turbo charger charges at a significantly higher rate during a significant portion of the charging cycle.

Still, the fact of the matter is that these batteries can be charged beyond 100% as we know it (which may sound technically impossible), but the current and voltage limiting circuitry in the phone prevent that from happening. 100% is actually an arbitrary charge level based on voltage, chosen by both the manufacturer of the battery and the manufacturer of the phone. 100% may represent 4.2 volts with one phone manufacturer and it may represent 4.3 volts with another. If its 4.3 volts versus 4.2, the battery that is charged to 4.3 volts will last longer per charge but will degrade quicker and reach end-of-life sooner than the battery charged to only 4.2 volts. So 100% is only 100% of what they want to charge to based upon their hopeful expected life of the battery and hopeful expected run time.

As mentioned in an earlier post, the level that you charge a battery to (voltage), directly influences its lifespan, so as I mentioned with regard to electric car manufacturers, in order to extend the lives of those extremely expensive batteries they offer the battery saver charging mode which only charges to 85% (or perhaps better said a lower voltage), of the rated charge level of 100%, again being an arbitrary number itself but now obviously reducing that significantly to further extend the long term life of the battery.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Fox is going to get like 8 years out if his Turbo battery. Lol

TapaTurbo
Haha, I wish you were right but the truth of the matter is I'm probably going to get a year out of it if I'm lucky!

MarBearCat

Reaction score
In those cases, you're in great shape. If you have that much power left at the end of a day, you're going to benefit GREATLY from the Turbo Charger. Use the phone to down around maybe 25% - 40%, then do the 15 to 30 minute boost with the Turbo Charger to give you another 30% - 50% (actually avoiding charging to 100%). If you do that, your battery will easily last 2 or more years. You could have this phone into 2017 or later and still be getting comparable battery performance. If you do the boost charging to say, 85% or 90% with a standard charger, your battery life will be even greater!
The only reason I have that much juice at the end of the day is because I charge it with a normal charger during work hours.

MarBearCat

Reaction score
Well I can see how you might derive that from what I've posted, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it isn't good. Certainly charging overnight to 100 percent with the standard charger is better for the battery than doing the same thing with the turbo charger simply because the turbo charger charges at a significantly higher rate during a significant portion of the charging cycle.

Still, the fact of the matter is that these batteries can be charged beyond 100% as we know it (which may sound technically impossible), but the current and voltage limiting circuitry in the phone prevent that from happening. 100% is actually an arbitrary charge level based on voltage, chosen by both the manufacturer of the battery and the manufacturer of the phone. 100% may represent 4.2 volts with one phone manufacturer and it may represent 4.3 volts with another. If its 4.3 volts versus 4.2, the battery that is charged to 4.3 volts will last longer per charge but will degrade quicker and reach end-of-life sooner than the battery charged to only 4.2 volts. So 100% is only 100% of what they want to charge to based upon their hopeful expected life of the battery and hopeful expected run time.

As mentioned in an earlier post, the level that you charge a battery to (voltage), directly influences its lifespan, so as I mentioned with regard to electric car manufacturers, in order to extend the lives of those extremely expensive batteries they offer the battery saver charging mode which only charges to 85% (or perhaps better said a lower voltage), of the rated charge level of 100%, again being an arbitrary number itself but now obviously reducing that significantly to further extend the long term life of the battery.

Um

tumblr_m23mrdCsYD1qiaueuo1_500_zps9abd7c3f.gif

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Are you saying I'm talking in circles? Lol. If so, I'd sure like to know how.

Or is it that I've said it all before?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I enjoy reading all of FoxKat's posts about cell phone batteries. Very well written, full of excellent details and explanations of the inner working of a phone battery!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I enjoy reading all of FoxKat's posts about cell phone batteries. Very well written, full of excellent details and explanations of the inner working of a phone battery!!

Thank you @sajokaz , at least there is ONE member out there who finds value (LOL, only kidding). I do however appreciate that you take the time to make mention. That means more to me than anything.

And right back to you, I enjoy all your posts, funny, serious, objective, biased... They're all valuable content and you're always on my "watch list".

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Thank you @sajokaz , at least there is ONE member out there who finds value (LOL, only kidding). I do however appreciate that you take the time to make mention. That means more to me than anything.

And right back to you, I enjoy all your posts, funny, serious, objective, biased... They're all valuable content and you're always on my "watch list".
Thank God someone's watching him

JDH

Reaction score
After only 12 hours I am at 26%
27% google system
24% google services
14% screen. OT 2hrs
Pathetic!!
Oh yeah, very warm, not usual.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yea that's bad. 11 hours here 50%. 8% of that is Ingress.

TapaTurbo

JDH

Reaction score
No consistency, at all, up-down. Been using turbo charger overnight. Going to switch to regular charger. I really think my old RAZR maxx battery was as good if not better.