• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I can get through a day with mine - that's about it. That said, I'm good with getting through a day with a device these days. Why "V" made rediculous claims? Hmmmmm

Did they Not Know? Unlikely and IF that is true that is even more disturbing than what it more likely was..... a deliberate overstatement (stretching of the truth) and "Marketing" ploy. Wow! a company willing to lie in order to max out profits - Ya don't see that everyday! Oh Wait! Yes you pretty much DO.
Companys, Politicians, Washington, Human Beings (in General) ...... Lie in order to get what they want.
But I digress, Yep Battery lasts about a Day.

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
I am also happy with getting through the whole day. I remeber when I got my first smart phone, droid RAZR. I was used to 5 days on my old flip phone, haha.

✋ Sent from my Droid Turbo with Tapatalk

mephisto_kur

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
When I first got the phone, I was hitting that less than 24 hours issue. What I did to fix it was to completely discharge the phone, plug it in to a non-turbo charger with it still off and let it fully charge. I am sitting at 80%, 13.5 hours on battery, 35m SOT. I made some calls today, and play a couple of tap games for a few minutes every couple of hours.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
35m SoT? You know that's a pittance, right? That's not heavy use. I'd expect 70-80 with 35m.

TapaTurbo

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
LOL...surely that was a typo. But then he didn't really claim that was "heavy usage".
Welcome aboard meshisto_kur!

I have to agree with statement that, any device that will get you through a full day with moderate to heavy usage is a win in my book. I love the latest and greatest device as much as the next guy, but I'll happily take my S5 over the S6, for that reason alone. I can throw pretty much everything plus the kitchen sink at it and still make it through the day with battery to spare. Manufacturers really screwed up IMO by trying to make people think we actually needed UHD on a 5-6 inch device. We wouldn't still be discussing battery life in 2015 if they had stuck with a standard 1080p HD resolution with today's processors.
On top of that Google bragged for what 6-8 months before release that the "material design" of Lollipop was this super energy efficient OS and everyone would see improved battery life. Even on devices like the S5 that don't have a UHD screen, that never really "materialized". Battery life remained about the same after the update.
Be happy your device makes it through the day....most flagship models still can't make that claim.

S5 tap'n

mephisto_kur

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
35m SoT? You know that's a pittance, right? That's not heavy use. I'd expect 70-80 with 35m.

TapaTurbo

This is exactly the point. When I first got the phone, it was barely better than my old S3, which I had to not use too often - 6 hours was not unusual for that phone. The Turbo should have rocked that, but when I first got it I was only getting 10-12 hours, even with such normal usage as maybe an hour SOT per day. Refreshing the battery, using the old charger (the turbo charger wasn't working for this for some reason) fixed it so that it is in line from what I see from other Turbos.

I was not suggesting I was a heavy user, I was suggesting that my battery issues disappeared with a discharge\charge loop.

MarBearCat

Reaction score
The only battery issues I've had were when I first got the device and it reported a higher a out of battery than what was left.. The cure..plug in the device to the turbo charger. Allow it to charge all the way to full.. Leave it in that charger for a few more hours.... I did this and haven't had this issue since..

I have been having poor battery life as of late, due to vzw messing with their ever impressive network.. The signal has been weak.. So the device is working harder to acquire an LTE signal.. Resolution... Call vzw and tell em I'm not an idiot... Get their tower issue fixed... 25 credit issued to my bill...
Wow, I thought the turbo charger was only used for say, 20 minutes max.
So it's safe to use for the full charge to 100%?

>"<

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2

>"<
Yes it absolutely is.. It charges at a higher rate at first.. And slows it's charge rate as the battery is charged...its probably that way for heat and battery optimization reasons...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

>"<
Yeah... The charger just has the capacity to charge at a higher rate. The "turbo charge" is controlled by software in the phone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The "Turbo Charge" process is controlled by the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor (the 805 in the case of the Motorola Turbo), and "Turbo Charge" is a Motorola trademark, the actual charging process is "Quick Charge 2.0", a Qualcomm trademark.

The Quick Charge 2.0 certified Turbo Charger block (or wall wart) produces three voltage/current rates and the processor uses those three different power rates to regulate the charging process to maximize the amount of current and voltage the battery can absorb at certain charge levels and still minimize the long term degradation of the battery from high rate charging.

The fast charging process will only operate within certain State Of Charge (SOC or percentage of remaining charge), levels. It will not implement the Quick Charge process if the battery is below a certain percentage of charge, and eventually shuts down the Quick Charge and reverts to a normal charging rate once the battery reaches a certain higher level of charge.

Thus the charger is according to the manufacturer, "safe for every day use". I personally disagree with that, and the post earlier proves to some extent that the standard chargers and charging rate are still the safest and most efficient way to charge the battery and also will not shorten its lifespan.

Last edited:

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8+ w/ a Tech 21 case
I decided to run mine down today until it asked to be shut down. Currently is it on a regular charger and not the Turbo one. Heat is not a good thing for batteries when charging them, I don't care what others say. Slower charge is always better since it does not introduce heat. The Turbo charge can only be taking life out of the battery the way it works. Until proven otherwise I am going to continue using a regular charger as well as my wireless charger to charge my Turbo.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I still don't think the Turbo charger makes it hot to the point it damages the battery. Google Maps makes my phone hotter during Navi than the charger does.

TapaTurbo

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I still don't think the Turbo charger makes it hot to the point it damages the battery. Google Maps makes my phone hotter during Navi than the charger does.

TapaTurbo
I'd agree... Mine never has really gotten what I would say hot charging. But yeah... Navigation oh my...