Do widgets that update badly drain your battery?

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by cb3FSU, Dec 27, 2009.

1. cb3FSU

cb3FSU New Member

I have a Droid and my sister has an Eris. We were at the sportsbar today and from about 12:30-4pm my phone used about 40% of its juice and I never made a phonecall. I was texting and sporadically using the internet but nothing crazy. I even turned wifi off and set the screen to its dimmest option. She was using hers about the same and hardly used any power

These are my apps and widgets, can you guys ID any that are battery killers? If I can't get 6-9 hours out of my phone without charging it I don't know how this is gonna work

Advanced Task Killer
    alarm clock
    aldiko
    aloqa
    amazon
    amazon mp3
    antropia
    ap mobile
    applause
    astro
    backgrounds
    barcode scanner
    billboard bot
    bluetooth transfer
    bmw backgrounds
    break the blocks
    browser
    calculator
    calender
    calorie counter
    camera
    car home
    cgspeedo
    contacts
    email
    facebook
    fandango
    flip clock
    gallery
    gmail
    goggles
    google sky map
    google voice
    gps status
    handceent
    hangman
    home switcher
    home++
    hotblox
    iheart radio
    imeem
    issuu
    itranslate
    labyrinth
    layar
    listen
    live scores
    magic 8ball
    maps
    market
    merifian
    messaging
    mixzing
    my coupons
    my verizon
    nesoid
    osmonitor
    pandora
    pdfgview
    phone
    photoshop
    prozoom 5x
    quick settings
    ringdroid
    settings
    shazam
    talk
    weather channel
    tunewiki
    tv.com
    ultrachron
    visual vm
    voice dialer
    voice recorder
    voice search
    walkie talkie
    where
    wifi analyzer
    wikimobile
    yourtube
    zip viewer

widgets:
    battery
    calender
    corp calender
    coupon
    bluetooth
    facebook
    flip clocks
    flip date/time
    handcent
    imeem
    mixzing
    music
    pandora
    weather channel

some others that i arent installed

please help!
  2. modified

modified New Member

I'm sure they all drain the battery, but even without them my battery sucks.
  3. cjkeeney

cjkeeney New Member

The things that extremely helped out my battery life were turning off GPS and lowering the screen timeout. It was at a minute, but I lowered it to 15 seconds.

However, the 15 seconds seems to be way too fast. It gets annoying when I'm playing a game, thinking of a move, and the screen times out on me. So maybe 30 seconds is more sufficient.
  4. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

How was her eris?
    I don't think they hurt that much I have a lot and it's fine
  5. CDB

CDB New Member

Settings > About phone > Battery use
  6. authority11

authority11 New Member

Search for an app called KeepScreen. It let's you override the screen timeout setting for whatever apps you wish. So basically with KeepScreen you could set your game as one of the apps that would not follow the 15 sec screen timeout. I find it very useful.
  7. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

+1 on KeepScreen. I like it more-so than Screebl. Keep screen doesn't use the screens orientation to determine whether or not it stays on... you simply add an app to the list and Keep Screen runs silently in the background and will not allow the phone to sleep when these apps are open in the foreground.
  8. shademar

shademar New Member

Battery Left is the only widget I've used that seemed to seriously ding my battery life (based on anecdotal use/time till charge) and it may have just been an accuracy issue since I didn't let it drain to zero. It never showed up as more than 2% in the battery stats, but I didn't check if sleep/wake was being affected. Other than that, I kill gps and wifi unless I need them and battery life is great, even constantly using the phone as a streaming audio device.

Spare Parts allows you to look at which apps are waking the phone from sleep...perhaps this would help track it down. Did it used to be better and something changed?
  9. dyinman

dyinman New Member

Google Voice. Seriously. There might be some others, but that one definitely goes berzerk on your phone.

I just bought an Evo recently, and I knew it didn't have the best battery life, but I didn't it to die within 10-12 hours from doing NOTHING (seriously, basically just picking it up to check the battery status once an hour). It was so bad, after the first hour of me waking up, which is when I take it off the charger, I lost 10%.

I loved the way Google Voice integrated so nicely in my phone (I only used the Voicemail) that I decided it was going on my wife's Samsung Moment. She got excellent battery life before, but after I put it on, it basically went from 60 to 0 during the course of the evening (where it'd normally have a good 30-40% left before bed).

Well, that obviously got me thinking, so I first just tried turning off syncing for Google Voice. When that wasn't making a difference, I tried just uninstalling it all together. Bam... suddenly, I'm getting between 30-36 hours on my phone depending on usage.

After knowing what to Google for, I searched "Google Voice android battery drain" and I found TONS of other people who experienced the same thing.

I'm not sure what's going on with the Google Voice app that it drained our batteries so fast, as I find it hard to believe that the push syncing would be solely responsible for reducing my battery life to 33% capacity, but something's definitely going on, and it was the culprit in both of our cases. It wasn't just syncing either. Right now after the fact I'm syncing 4 email accounts, and I usually leave GTalk running a few hours during the day. It's something specific to Google Voice.

Just try it out one night. Uninstall Google Voice, maybe even reboot the phone just in case, and see what happens.
Search tags for this page
android widget drain battery
battery drain accuweather widget widget
clock widget drains battery
do android widgets drain battery
do calculator widgets drain battery
do weather widgets drain battery

do widgets drain battery

do widgets take more power
do widgets use up battery
does pandora widget drain battery
does shazam suck up battery on your phone