Do we need to un-root for the upcomming 6.12.174 update? Preparation Steps?

Boriquaman

Reaction score
its something with my 64 bit laptop.. I did it on my old desk top and it worked..

I'm back to stock with all the bloatware.. (yay..ugh! ) re-rooted and doing a voodoo backup to be ready..

now I sit and wait for the OTA...

Thanks again guys! You all rock!

Boriquaman

Reaction score
Great to hear! Glad we could help!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Update

I got the OTA..

4G lte has been rock solid in all areas where I normally would loose the radio..
Upgrades are awesome...

Love the new Icons.. makes it look a a lot better.

Battery life is excelent..! Lots a lot longer rthan before where I would need to plug in..

Got my ROOT back with Voodoo! ( and thethering was not affected )

Issue i see ( minor )

When I plug in my headphones, i use to get an icon that indicated it was connected, for some reason its gone..

Question..

Verizon does give you the option to remove some bloatware they pre-sintall ( football, golf, etc ) Can there be deleted normally without affecting the upgrade? or future upgrades? Normal users would just delete them.. so i would assume it should not be an issue. I can see on some apps where it can only be deleted by ROOT...

My wife has the same phone.. I'm going to root her phone and perform the upgrade.. I'm going to attemp to delete the "normal" apps that can be deleted (non root) and perform the upgrade to see if it stops it.. I'll keep you all posted to see if it stops or works..

Reaction score
Update

I got the OTA..

4G lte has been rock solid in all areas where I normally would loose the radio..
Upgrades are awesome...

Love the new Icons.. makes it look a a lot better.

Battery life is excelent..! Lots a lot longer rthan before where I would need to plug in..

Got my ROOT back with Voodoo! ( and thethering was not affected )

Issue i see ( minor )

When I plug in my headphones, i use to get an icon that indicated it was connected, for some reason its gone..

Question..

Verizon does give you the option to remove some bloatware they pre-sintall ( football, golf, etc ) Can there be deleted normally without affecting the upgrade? or future upgrades? Normal users would just delete them.. so i would assume it should not be an issue. I can see on some apps where it can only be deleted by ROOT...

My wife has the same phone.. I'm going to root her phone and perform the upgrade.. I'm going to attemp to delete the "normal" apps that can be deleted (non root) and perform the upgrade to see if it stops it.. I'll keep you all posted to see if it stops or works..

Add long as you can uninstall it without root..... if to long press it in the app start and it gives you the option to uninstall.... out will not impact the ota. They can be removed safely.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Just letting people know..174 is not the update and possibly not even 175. Don't make assumptions.

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Very true on the numbering...
I would like to add though, that a direct update while not unrooting from 173 will unroot 174, 175, or whatever else they are pushing out. 174 and 175 are both rootable using the new Droid 4 exploit as well though. Also, OTA Rootkeeper will still work.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Great info mattlgroff!

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I went ahead and fastbooted my RAZR today just in case the OTA decides it doesn't want to play nice. Here's a link to the fastboot:

Free Online Storage & File Upload with FileServe

Use the "slower download" link and enter the CAPTCHA.

Here's a link to the video that will explain how to fastboot it, you will need Android SDK and RSD Lite.

NOTE: This is for CDMA ONLY! This will NOT work on GSM phones.

[video=youtube;WBySMO8n1r4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBySMO8n1r4&feature=player_embedded<br /><br />I"]How To Restore the Motorola Droid RAZR Using Fastboot Files - YouTube[/video]

I tested this about an hour ago and restores it to fully stock. Good idea to back EVERYTHING up. I didnt have anything not worth losing so I just synced again and I was 100% after about 30 mins.

If there are any questions, feel free to PM me.

TY!!!!!!! I'm back up and running like nothing ever happened, lol

Reaction score
Ok, I just tried flashing this. I've done it so many times with my Droid 2, but my RAZR has gone into a Boot loop. I was able to get it back into the AP Fast boot screen. Does anybody have an idea why it's doing this? Does anybody have another other files I can try flashing? Or any other help they can offer me?

Got into the recovery, and factory reset. Everything is good again.

Last edited: