Do we need to un-root for the upcomming 6.12.174 update? Preparation Steps?

Dunb440

Reaction score
So I rooted my Razr Maxx so I can get Mobile hotspot and Titanium Backup.

Do I have to do anything to prepare for the upcoming 2.36 / 6.12.174 update?

I currently am on 2.3.5 / 6.11.748 XT912 rooted with instructions from Droid RazrRoot.

If you could share the steps needed to get the update, then re-root I'm sure MANY would appreciate it!

bullswife98

Reaction score
No you don't have to un-root but,you do have to be completely stock. No changes at all the ota looks for that and nothing froze ie...( no bloat frozen) nothing can be missing or deleted. The OTA will break root though and if you want to stay rooted I think Voodoo root-keeper will help retain root,though not for sure if it will be able to on Maxx. I don't see why it couldn't since its pretty much the same system. Hope it helps.

Edit: its located in the app market and its free.

Sent from my Rooted Razr's keyboard to your eyes! :)

OP
Dunb440

Dunb440

Reaction score
Yeah, lucky STUPID me deleted 3 apps.. Madden, Golf and Blockbuster.
Any way to get those back?

No you don't have to un-root but,you do have to be completely stock. No changes at all the ota looks for that and nothing froze ie...( no bloat frozen) nothing can be missing or deleted. The OTA will break root though and if you want to stay rooted I think Voodoo root-keeper will help retain root,though not for sure if it will be able to on Maxx. I don't see why it couldn't since its pretty much the same system. Hope it helps.

Edit: its located in the app market and its free.

bullswife98

Reaction score
Yeah, lucky STUPID me deleted 3 apps.. Madden, Golf and Blockbuster.
Any way to get those back?

Oh crap! I'm typing from my phone and don't have files to upload to you. Hopefully someone here can hook ya up. I love rooting only cuz I can freeze apps I don't have any use for but have learned from prior posters here that if you ever want to still keep getting Verizon's updates don't delete files. And always make a nandroid stock backup of your phone before you do or change anything! Maybe someone will see this and upload the files to ya. If no one replies the go to the support forums and ask there, someone will get them for ya. Good luck.

furbymac

Reaction score
I deleted those too and just got the update. I think it just checks for vzw crap that u can't in install on an uprooted phone

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
Dunb440

Dunb440

Reaction score
Yeah, hows this for not thinkin clearly.
Rooted my droid 1, titanium Pro backed-up... got droid Razr, rooted and restored all my schtuuf.. PERFECT!

I guess I got so excited the bkup/restore worked i forgot to re-back-up!, lol.
I know I should have froze em, just a brain-fart..

Hopefully someone can help me out.

Is there a list of all files that SHOULD be on there just to verify?
Maybe someone can share their Titanium Razr backup?

thanks all for your help btw...

Oh crap! I'm typing from my phone and don't have files to upload to you. Hopefully someone here can hook ya up. I love rooting only cuz I can freeze apps I don't have any use for but have learned from prior posters here that if you ever want to still keep getting Verizon's updates don't delete files. And always make a nandroid stock backup of your phone before you do or change anything! Maybe someone will see this and upload the files to ya. If no one replies the go to the support forums and ask there, someone will get them for ya. Good luck.

Boriquaman

Reaction score
I got the same issues.. I deleted the same files off the Razr .. Any image that anyone has that can help us? i want to restore it before I get the OTA..

Boriquaman

Reaction score
I deleted those too and just got the update. I think it just checks for vzw crap that u can't in install on an uprooted phoneSent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
did you update the Razr even though you deleted the files? Did it work?

aktrazer

Reaction score
I went ahead and fastbooted my RAZR today just in case the OTA decides it doesn't want to play nice. Here's a link to the fastboot:

http://www.fileserve.com/file/uYZK4KU/VRZ_XT912_6.5.1-73_DHD-11_TA-3_1FF_02.xml.zip

Use the "slower download" link and enter the CAPTCHA.

Here's a link to the video that will explain how to fastboot it, you will need Android SDK and RSD Lite.

NOTE: This is for CDMA ONLY! This will NOT work on GSM phones.

[video=youtube;WBySMO8n1r4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBySMO8n1r4&feature=player_embedded<br /><br />I"]How To Restore the Motorola Droid RAZR Using Fastboot Files - YouTube[/video]

I tested this about an hour ago and restores it to fully stock. Good idea to back EVERYTHING up. I didnt have anything not worth losing so I just synced again and I was 100% after about 30 mins.

If there are any questions, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

aktrazer

Reaction score
So this restore deleted bloatware?

I'm not 100% sure about that, I do know that Madden has reappeared... Which bloatware apps are you looking for?

UPDATE: Confirmed. Blockbuster and Madden are back on the phone. I ran through the fastboot twice just to verify.

Last edited:

Boriquaman

Reaction score
Those exactly, and kasperity.. I deleted them. So they come back.. Sweet. When i get home I'm flashing!

aktrazer

Reaction score
Awesome, post back when you're done and let me know if it worked for you! BTW, youll run through an OTA update if you want. I went ahead and forced it to get it over with. I'm not familiar with Kasperity so I'm not sure about that.

cookdawg

Reaction score
RAZOR Bootstrap Recovery won't mess with the OTA updates will it? Just got my RAZOR today, rooted it and got a nandroid backup done before realizing OTA might be on the way.

aktrazer

Reaction score
RAZOR Bootstrap Recovery won't mess with the OTA updates will it? Just got my RAZOR today, rooted it and got a nandroid backup done before realizing OTA might be on the way.

I can't really say, I use Safestrap, which allows for booting of more than 1 OS. Odds are when OTA comes down it will unroot and I've heard rumors that people can't regain root once the OTA comes down. If you have fastboot you shouldn't have to worry too much.

If the OTA comes down and I can't root, I'll just fastboot again, root, get root keeper, then OTA.