Do we need a 200 GB SD Card?

Discussion in 'Tech News' started by pc747, Mar 1, 2015.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +6,160
    [​IMG]
    SanDisk announced a 200Gb Sd card that will run $400. Unfortunately in an age where more smartphone manufacturers are abandoning external storage I have to wonder if this is a little too late especially when you can buy a 1TB external hard drive for about $65 bucks at Best Buy and attach via otg cable. So I have to ask if we need a 200 GB sd card and is it long time for manufacturers to make 64gb internal storage the base option for high end smart phones?

Source: SanDisk was able to stuff 200GB of storage space inside their latest microSD card

2. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Well, the price is prohibitive for smartphones, but is right for professional photography.

Now, with USB OTG adapters that fit smartphones, built in SD card readers aren't as important anymore. So do I want a bigger SD card? Sure but not at those prices, almost twice what I paid for my Turbo.

• Like Like x 2
  3. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Silver Member

Ratings:
    +625
    Yes. There are still devices that use these things. Hero cameras, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    +1, the mobile market will not be their audience. I wonder if photographers will go for a $400. SD Card.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +6,160
    Very good point I overlook the fact cameras still use sd cards. And with more cameras taking even higher resolution photos photographers may see this as an addition but that begs the question if $400 is too steep for 200GB? I am not a photographer so can not answer that but be interesting to see where the market takes this. But if history repeats itself SanDisk will end up slashing the price in half in about 6 to 8 months from now especially given there may not be a big enough demand to support the $200 price range.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,714
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    The price will eventually come down, but yes I would certainly buy one if it was reasonably priced. Shooting HD videos will fill up a 16gb card in under 10 minutes, so YES it is needed. I don't want to have to carry around an external HDD or OTG adapter everywhere I go.

S5 tap'n

• Like Like x 2
  7. hammerhead13

hammerhead13 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +598
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy Note8
    WD does make Wireless External HDDs that you can use with mobile Devices as well. But that would be something that would be nice in a Tablet like my Surface Pro 3.

• Like Like x 3
  8. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +503
    When you think about 4K video becoming mainstream in the next couple of years, more space will be needed, how can Cloud storage be a reality with data limits? Phones going the route of not including offboard storage, seems a bit backward and ignorant in my opinion, and almost greedy.

You mean to tell me we can put a man on the moon, but wont create a phone that has SD card support???!!!!

I use a 128GB USB flash drive over OTG, and it works well enough. It sticks out of my phone, and is an eye sore, but it gets me what I want.

#8 akhenax, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  9. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +3,902
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    Are you going to walk around with a HARD DRIVE hanging off of your phone? No matter how slim...
    Samsung gives up on SD (#bigmistake) and suddenly everyone has? We still have Sony, LG and HTC. Not to mention the Chinese brands. I'm predicting the S6 is not going to be the NEXT BIG THING for Sammy and the S7 is going to bring back SD storage. ;)
    And, of course it's expensive. This stuff always is when it's new. 64GB cards started at $150 and now you can get a 128 for $99.

• Like Like x 3
  10. swc2001

swc2001 Active Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Absolutely this is Relevant!
    I wont buy a device unless it has an SD card slot.
    However..... why 200 and not 256 LOL

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. hammerhead13

hammerhead13 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +598
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy Note8
    I agree with 200GB being an odd size not going with usual Format of a 256GB. Unless its a Limitation with MicroSD not sure why they would do that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    See, there are 500gig full-size SD cards....but for some reason no one puts those in mobile, not even tablets. I mean, who ever sat around looking at a full-size SD card and said "but, darn, you know it's just TOO big".

The no sd support used to be a cost thing (save like $10 not adding that component), but now it's a profit thing where these guys are charging more than double what a 32, 64 or 128gig card goes for retail. THAT IS GOUGING. A word that gets thrown around these forums a lot, that is actually a real example.

On a related note, if you follow ultrabooks much, then you know storage has kind of been going the opposite direction due to cost of SSD's - 128gigs just isn't enough and you have to find alternatives. Same type deal where you want the OS, programs and their data on the SSD but you might store music, video and other content on an sd card.

#12 kodiak799, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1