Do things need to be more Clear ???

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by bearklaws007, Aug 31, 2010.

1. bearklaws007

bearklaws007 New Member

I hope i just made a mistake and did not find a (How To)...

I mean, It took me a few days to figure out what it is all about... Don't get me wrong, I Love this site and what it is about...But it seems like it should have a (How To) or (What it is all about)...

It is only clear after you make a sh@t load of mistakes, or at least, for me...

If i am wrong, and most likely i am, could some one point in the right direction, and to clarify that, i mean the difference between ROM and theme, and how to load them...

Sorry if i seem to be a d*ck, I didnt mean too be, I build houses and finish concrete.... Plans are easy to read, but i seem to be behind on this, I am sure it is just a learning curve...:peace
    A video would be cool...But in FTA that is called spoon feeding...
  2. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Premium Member

Ok so Roms are a full OS like what comes loaded on the Phone, Themes are files that change the look of the Rom, You can also get a Rom that comes pre-themed.

Installation is pretty much the same for both (Usually full wipe for Roms, no wipe or cache only for themes) but depends on the custom recovery you have...Clockwork or SPR.
  3. keyblade

keyblade New Member

I mean, what point are you at?

The rooting process is pretty easy now:

Rooting basically gives you superuser access on your phone so you can do new cool things that you probably weren't supposed to do initially. But you want to. You really want to. Along with rooting, installing a custom recovery lets you load ROMs/themes/kernels.

A Nice Little Rooting Guide for Droid 1's on Android 2.2 OTA

ROMs/Themes/Kernels:

Go through the forums, download a ROM you think looks cool!

But please, for everyone's sanity, not Adamz or ZeusDroid. Adamz is way out of date, ZD doesn't actually exist anymore (well maybe they do!?) and you'll just run in to a lot more issues than you want.

Once you're rooted, things get a whole lot cooler. Basically like it was already explained, ROMs are different versions of the Android operating system itself basically. Some ROMs add features, they take away features not needed/rarely used. Some cool little things like having a "Reboot" option are nice, that some ROMs put in.

Themes, like already explained, change the look of your phone. Basically from something like this to this.

Kernels allow the phone to be overclocked and can offer various other things. Overclocking basically means your phone will run faster than it did previously. This can come with more battery drain as well.

All of these are installed similarly. Using whichever recovery you have installed, you can install these. Clockwork Recovery and SPRecovery exist and have different benefits. The major thing to remember about SPRecovery is that everything you want to install must be named "update.zip".

To boot up in to recovery, hold the power button and the "X" on the keyboard down when booting the phone up. You will be greeted by a screen similar to this. Going over some of the more critical aspects:

Reboot System Now -- obviously reboots the phone!

Wipe Data/Cache -- well... it wipes the data/cache, including your login info, etc. This is generally recommended when switching ROMs, as information stored here may cause errors with switched ROMs.

Wipe Cache Partition -- just wipes the cache!

Install Zip From SD Card -- this allows you to install a new ROM/theme/kernel that is located (generally on the root, or lowest directory) of your SD card.

Nandroid -- allows you to back up and restore your phone. When you root, this is generally the FIRST thing you should do. You should NEVER be caught without a backup. Occasionally things go wrong, and you need to go back to what you had if you want a functional phone anytime soon. I did it once, its not fun. :(

Basically, use Clockworkmod Recovery to install anything new you want to try. Always have a backup!

Well I gotta go make dinner to teach Organic Chemistry lab at 6... if I said something completely and utterly wrong, someone correct me. :D If anything else is needed I'm sure people will help.
  4. bearklaws007

bearklaws007 New Member

Cool, These two post are what i am talking about....

(What's it all about...) maybe a 1,2,3 manuel...

Forgot to mention, I rooted FRG22D...

But i am am sure it has been covered before...Or, I have read just Enough, So i understand it....One thing i know your right on, Other people will comment...

Thanks for the replies