do power saving apps really work?

km04

Reaction score
do apps such as juice defender or green power really work? that is to say, does it save you any appreciable percentage of power or is the saving negligible to the point where it isn't worth the time and effort to install it?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Usually, they're just resource hogs.

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

OP
K

km04

Reaction score
Usually, they're just resource hogs.

thanks, i was thinking that may be the case based on past experience with other devices and like apps.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just use your back key/button to exit apps vs home and turn off what you're not using at the time (GPS, WiFi, etc) and you'll be fine. That's what I believe poontab was getting at..

Sherry

Reaction score
I have tried the ones recommended. Juice defender just crashed everytime and I uninstalled. Green Power had issues and I uninstalled. The most benefit I have had is just reading through Guitarchris123's post
Tips to Help Improve Battery Life on ThunderBolt and using the suggestions I wanted. My battery still needs a recharge at least once a day but then my S500 and husband's 911 needs high test gas and a lot of it the more we use them. So I travel with a charger - LOL

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Can I drive your cars?? P-p-p-please???? ;)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sweet! Leaving VA now! Haha!

robdec17

Reaction score
I agree Juice defender didn't buy me much battery life so I ditched it.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Ditto.
It claims to have saved me .06 to .10 every time I looked at it...(percentage)
Lots of errors with Juice Beta...didn't try green power.
IMO..just like the task killers, they take more than they give.

Reaction score
do apps such as juice defender or green power really work? that is to say, does it save you any appreciable percentage of power or is the saving negligible to the point where it isn't worth the time and effort to install it?

...Defend your own juice

This is good advice. Any kind of so-called battery saving apps will be using resources themselves (so any benefit you gain may even be cancelled out), and all they are doing is automating your settings for you. You are better off learning to control and toggle your settings with widgets on your own as the need arises. Plus, JD supposedly does not work on the Thunderbolt (although the Beta does, but it has bugs).

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Just use your back key/button to exit apps vs home and turn off what you're not using at the time (GPS, WiFi, etc) and you'll be fine. That's what I believe poontab was getting at..

Also if you know you aren't anywhere near a 4G area, then download the app LTE on/off at https://market.android.com/details?id=net.andirc.lteonfoff&feature=search_result OR download the app phone info at https://market.android.com/details?id=net.andirc.lteonfoff&feature=search_result so that you turn off your phone ability to search for 4G.
From what I've heard, people have been using one of these two apps and have been able to save a considerable amount of battery just by not having there phones constantly searching for a 4G signal.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I've been using Green Power for a while

...Defend your own juice

This is good advice. Any kind of so-called battery saving apps will be using resources themselves (so any benefit you gain may even be cancelled out), and all they are doing is automating your settings for you. You are better off learning to control and toggle your settings with widgets on your own as the need arises. Plus, JD supposedly does not work on the Thunderbolt (although the Beta does, but it has bugs).

I do agree that the best battery saving could be the manual toggling or the battery eating features on your phone, but I have a hard time accepting that one of those little apps like Green Power will cancel out any benefit gained from using it on newer phones with a lot of RAM. I actually use Green Power as the title states and can say without a doubt that my battery life is improved because I have it set to turn on my data every 4 hours for 5 minutes and at night only once every 8 hours, which is pretty much the whole night.

Unlike 99.9% of the other services on the phone, this one background service for the application is actually preventing many of those other services from draining my battery when they decide at specific intervals to use my data connection. Right now I'm experimenting LTE on/off, which could be my biggest battery saving feature, but only time will tell.

I know Green Power and Battery Fu do work for the Thunderbolt. I chose Green Power because Battery Fu seemed to have a problem reestablishing my data connection, but maybe it was just my impatience.