Do people really want pure google

RUSHgsxr

Reaction score
i loved my original droid when i had, but HTC Sense has really grown on me since.

the only thing I don't like about sense is when I hit the phone button it goes to last calls vs contacts, sometimes this can be a real pain...or i haven't figured it out yet lol

I didn't like that at first either, but just start typing in the name or the number of the contact you're looking for and it goes right to it. You pry already knew that tho...

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
One of the biggest issues with a non-google device, as stated by someone above, is the fact that if the manufacturer decides they do not want to send you an update then they can practically force you to be stuck with it or get a new device. And this is why I think we as consumers should have the option for more google devices. But again people have to buy it, they have to have a demand for it. We dont have enough of a demand, because manufacturers will feed a demmand if there is enough of a demand there. I am hoping we can get enough of a demand to convince motorola or another manufacturer to give us a google device for verizon.

Reaction score
I prefer vanilla android...but it looks like more than likely wont get the chance to go with it again. I'll probably end up with a phone with Blur.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do people really want pure google
Keep in mind that this poll only includes a very limited number of Android users and it's not a statistically significant sample of the overall Android user base. Given the type of people that tend to frequent Android forums, this poll will be skewed towards those that prefer vanilla Android.

Nick177th

Reaction score
I want a Nexus S soooo bad. Like a poster above said, I want to make the phone look and perform like I want it to.

Detonation

Reaction score
One of the biggest issues with a non-google device, as stated by someone above, is the fact that if the manufacturer decides they do not want to send you an update then they can practically force you to be stuck with it or get a new device. And this is why I think we as consumers should have the option for more google devices. But again people have to buy it, they have to have a demand for it. We dont have enough of a demand, because manufacturers will feed a demmand if there is enough of a demand there. I am hoping we can get enough of a demand to convince motorola or another manufacturer to give us a google device for verizon.

Like mentioned in many other threads like this, the small percentage that us forum users consist of would make no dent in their demand. We are not a good representation of all the users at all.

People want stuff that just works, stuff that doesn't require a lot of manual work or customization (example: Apple). My friend has a Droid X, and probably half her screens still have the stock widgets that are there when you get the phone. My sister has an Evo, and is also using stock everything pretty much. When I suggest to them other third party apps they can get that are better, they don't care, what they have works and they don't want to fix what's not broken.

To us here, our phones are a huge part of our daily lives. But to most people, their phones are simply just that...phones.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Like mentioned in many other threads like this, the small percentage that us forum users consist of would make no dent in their demand. We are not a good representation of all the users at all.

People want stuff that just works, stuff that doesn't require a lot of manual work or customization (example: Apple). My friend has a Droid X, and probably half her screens still have the stock widgets that are there when you get the phone. My sister has an Evo, and is also using stock everything pretty much. When I suggest to them other third party apps they can get that are better, they don't care, what they have works and they don't want to fix what's not broken.

To us here, our phones are a huge part of our daily lives. But to most people, their phones are simply just that...phones.

That is a good point and using the tbolt I see how user friendly sense ui is. Out of all the ui's I have tried sense matches apple the closest with its simple solution to customization. But the demand for nexus device will not come from the average users, infact I like custom uis and think that helps with getting android in to more hands. For the users who want a google experienced device there has to be a demand. And I must admit that looking at what htc did with sense on the tbolt it takes away the desire to go back to pure vanilla.

Reaction score
...People want stuff that just works, stuff that doesn't require a lot of manual work or customization (example: Apple).

I agree 100%. I don't want to use the word ignorance, but I think the majority of people just accept whatever they are spoon fed when it comes to technology. Whether it be computers or smart-phones, most people don't know enough to care that the machines they've purchased are loaded with so much advertising and performance sucking bloatware that it's no wonder so many devices don't perform well.

Give the average person a phone with a straight up OS, and only the OS, and most people are gonna look at it and think it doesn't have any features. They'll opt for something with more bells, whistles, glitter, and 147 pre-installed applications, all of which look great to the untrained eye, but in actuality suck.

As long as people continue to buy phones loaded with crap, manufacturers and carriers will continue to degrade their phones with it.

If VZW would offer a pure Google phone, without manufacturer or carrier garbage on it, I'd jump all over it, but I'm not holding my breath.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Applications are simply that... they are just apps. Blurr, sense, blurless.... whatever. They are all just different takes on how to skin and program a given app. The absence or presence of these system overlays is completely arbitrary if you ask me. In my opinion, we as consumers simply want one thing... that being "better" applications. How thats achieved is purely a question on development practices and projected influence. Do manufacture sponsored android development projects help further the OS... yes, of course.. just like anything that you put enough time and money into... especially for the purpose of marketing,.. the final result is a refined product. But at the same time.... what's really driving the progress... Google. They are the ones responsible for releasing the major updates, bringing the actual new innovations to the table. And honestly, and almost obviously... have been creating a product that's getting closer and closer to its blur counterpart. The fact is... is that both fields are necessary for improving development, because the final result will just be somewhere in between... both resource wise optimizations and fancy ui's. We want both. New android releases + better blurr. But I guess you're asking what we as consumers will ultimately choose? I suppose that really depends on how the two continue to stack up against each other relatively. If googles progress on android just becomes exponentially faster and more enticing than anything these overhauls have to offer... than the demand will obviously be for more pure google devices. But I just don't see that happening.. why? Because although android is improving rapidly.. its in googles intrest to let the manufacturers catch up and bring their own twist to it? - why? Because ultimately, its the manufacturers that are posed with the most important question....that being; 'yes, there exists a bunch of technology that can be offered to the end user, but HOW can that technology be offered in a way that is the most enticing to the end user.' As in, the manufacturers are posed with the marketability challenge. But that, right there, brings it full circle... because the marketable success of a given version/take on android by the manufacturers, will ultimately drive the development of future google android releases. The pure google device is a much better concept in theory than it is in practice.. because the truth is, is that blur will probably always be one step closer to what the customer wants, because that is its sole purpose... to be the commercially appealing android release... while google will always seem to be "bare bones" to the majority, because it's hard for people to understand pure technological advancements if they are not presented in a known commercially pleasing way. Personally, all I really care about is openness. If the devices are open then we will always have the choice to go back to blurrless if we want.

{{ WugFresh }}

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Just upgraded from a Droid 1 to the TB. Never played with sense before; I don't mind it, I took it because I heard Moto was locking down, but the TB wasn't.

I think as long as the bootloader is unlocked, I won't care what UI it has, because I'll have the option to change it to w/e I want after I root it. (I've rooted my TB, but haven't gotten rid of Sense yet. I want to get tired of it before I change it up. I am OC'd tho)

hakaida

Reaction score
If vzw had a samsung nexus dual or quad core phone with super amoled screen I'd pay full price on the first day available.

To me UI is just widgets made by the hardware manufacturers. My og droid has enough widgets to make it like a phone that has a UI like launchers, beautiful widgets, agenda widgets, facebook widgets, and twitter widgets. I want the freedom to add whatever I want and not forced to take a performance hit with stuff that I may not use.

And the biggest reason for wanting a nexus device for me is getting the latest and greatest OS updates first.

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i loved my original droid when i had, but HTC Sense has really grown on me since.

Agree. I think Sense is the shiznit. My next phone will be the DINC2.
(I don't care about LTE)

If you are going to sign a 2 yr contract and be stuck why buy the incredible 2. Yeah the tbolt have battery issues but its easily fixed, and you can make the tbolt a 3g phone (ie incredible 2) but you can not use the inc 2 on an lte network. Two years is a long time to have a device and if you going to be stuck get a device with the most upside, The inc2 still havent been fully rooted yet.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Actually I guess you are right there. And I do like the little bump at the top of the TBolt.

I don't care about battery life.

I like the DINC2 cuz she's global, but I have the option to borrow a work global phone if I ever need one.

Agree. I think Sense is the shiznit. My next phone will be the Tbolt.
(Even though I don't care about LTE)

FIXED! :)

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score

could not have agreed more. when it is in demand, feet will move to give consumers what they are asking.

sent from the Hawaiian D2G