Do not use droidmod updater

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
I think that if someone wants to root they should do it manually. This way they will have given it some thought and fully understand what has been done. For instance Edmvr6 thinks he is stuck and doesn't know what to do.

A one click tool makes it too easy for someone who has heard the word "root" and thinks it sounds cool to get somewhere on their phone that they don't know where they are.

Just rooting is not of much use. You really need to understand rooting and flashing roms. Flashing new roms is a great deal of fun, but you need to do some reading first. And then when you know how to flash a rom you will also know how to return to stock.

Unless you want to flash new roms there is really not much of a reason to root.
+1 for sure. And just for clarification, your phone is "bricked" when and ONLY when it will do nothing more than a real brick will do. Not power on at all.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think that if someone wants to root they should do it manually. This way they will have given it some thought and fully understand what has been done. For instance Edmvr6 thinks he is stuck and doesn't know what to do.

A one click tool makes it too easy for someone who has heard the word "root" and thinks it sounds cool to get somewhere on their phone that they don't know where they are.

Just rooting is not of much use. You really need to understand rooting and flashing roms. Flashing new roms is a great deal of fun, but you need to do some reading first. And then when you know how to flash a rom you will also know how to return to stock.

Unless you want to flash new roms there is really not much of a reason to root.
+1 for sure. And just for clarification, your phone is "bricked" when and ONLY when it will do nothing more than a real brick will do. Not power on at all.

To add to what teddy said "ever". You do not unbrick just like you don't un-die. (looked funny without the hyphen in there!)

I also agree that it helps to know what is going on, but I'm a tinkerer and into mechanical things. Some folks just want to flip the light switch and have the lights come on in their kitchen. Others just want that cool theme or wifi tethering.

Computers aren't like that though. If you bought TV or Fridge and it wasn't working when you got it home, or even a month later you'd call someone because you expect it to work. We'll spend hours fixing the network because the printer doesn't work because we just wanted to print out directions. Thankfully we have turn by turn on the phone now!

G

gavron

I hate to disagree with the guys who put the tool together, but no matter what DMUpdater does... you will be able to use RSDlite and the SBF file to restore the phone.

It is the hardware part of the phone that communicates with RSD. That hardware part isn't designed to be changed, updated, etc. (We could call it Read Only Memory, but apparently ROM means something new nowadays ;)

Also, as both the previous posters have correctly pointed out, once it's rooted, you're fine. Removing root makes no sense. As has also been pointed out, trying new ROMs is a good thing :)

I've rooted two Motorola Droid I's this way.

E

jwhite.pua

Reaction score
Heellpp!

Hey, so i heard about the droidmod updater incident. Though i'm wondering what to do right now because i want to root with the updater but every time it tells me to update or 0.1.2 and yet nothing is on the market because it was taken down. Droidmod was the only way i could root coming from a mac ppc! How do i get it to work!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey, so i heard about the droidmod updater incident. Though i'm wondering what to do right now because i want to root with the updater but every time it tells me to update or 0.1.2 and yet nothing is on the market because it was taken down. Droidmod was the only way i could root coming from a mac ppc! How do i get it to work!

The updater tool you speak of was grabbed while in beta. The entity that grabbed it put it on the market and charged a fee for the app. The creator wasn't happy about this. At this time DF will not support the updater tool. The creator has stated it was not ready for public consumption.

At least 2 posts in this thread say "don't use it" and warn of possibly bricking your phone.

At least 2 other posts say if you actually brick your phone there is no returning from that state.

Also, at least 4 posts state its better to manually go through the steps so the rooter understands better what is taking place.

However, if you are on a mac, I see where you are coming from. You've got a solid argument for an alternative to RSD Lite.

For now though, is there a PC somewhere you can use RSD Lite on? A friend's laptop, a neighbor's computer? Once you get SPRecovery on your phone you can use your mac for the rest.

G

gavron

The updater tool you speak of was grabbed while in beta. The entity that grabbed it put it on the market and charged a fee for the app. The creator wasn't happy about this. At this time DF will not support the updater tool. The creator has stated it was not ready for public consumption.

At least 2 posts in this thread say "don't use it" and warn of possibly bricking your phone.

At least 2 other posts say if you actually brick your phone there is no returning from that state.

Also, at least 4 posts state its better to manually go through the steps so the rooter understands better what is taking place.

However, if you are on a mac, I see where you are coming from. You've got a solid argument for an alternative to RSD Lite.

For now though, is there a PC somewhere you can use RSD Lite on? A friend's laptop, a neighbor's computer? Once you get SPRecovery on your phone you can use your mac for the rest.

Christim is usually 100% on track. That's why this time I hate to disagree. You can't "brick" a Droid 1. The hardware will always allow RSD/SBF to work.

I happen to have used DMUpdater pre 12 twice on Droid 1s, and it worked great. It's still out there. This forum has chosen to remove links to it... and respecting that I will not provide it either. (not in PM either).

I only fly helicopters, but I don't spread rumors because some kid on IRC told me to.

Ehud

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
And I must respectfully disagree with part of Gavron's post. Or ask for clarification. Yes DMUpdater pre 12 is still out there, but AFAIK the .apk has links to certain servers coded within it, so it wasn't the .apk that (had to be) changed, but what was contained within said links. Kind of akin to when you open an old favorite on your computer and it's either no longer found or the webpage totally changed.

G

gavron

And I must respectfully disagree with part of Gavron's post.
Do you think it would be helpful to say with what part you disagree with?
Or ask for clarification.
Of course you can... would you like to say what you want clarified?

Yes DMUpdater pre 12 is still out there, but AFAIK the .apk has links to certain servers coded within it,
What is "links to certain servers" and where in :
Code:
  inflating: res/layout/main.xml     
  inflating: res/layout/roms.xml     
  inflating: AndroidManifest.xml     
 extracting: resources.arsc          
 extracting: res/drawable-hdpi/current.png  
 extracting: res/drawable-hdpi/icon.png  
 extracting: res/drawable-hdpi/sholes.png  
 extracting: res/drawable-hdpi/stock.png  
 extracting: res/drawable-ldpi/icon.png  
 extracting: res/drawable-mdpi/icon.png  
  inflating: classes.dex             
  inflating: META-INF/MANIFEST.MF    
  inflating: META-INF/CERT.SF        
  inflating: META-INF/CERT.RSA
are these "links to certain servers"?

The word "so" implies a conclusion, which implies there was something said prior to it. Please explain what substantiates a conclusion.

it wasn't the .apk that (had to be) changed, but what was contained within said links.

What links?
What is "contained within said links"?
What are you talking about?

Kind of akin to when you open an old favorite on your computer and it's either no longer found or the webpage totally changed.

Kind of akin to when you say nothing OR maybe nothing and SO then draw a conclusion, then it's akin to when you say nothing.

E

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Christim is usually 100% on track. That's why this time I hate to disagree. You can't "brick" a Droid 1. The hardware will always allow RSD/SBF to work.

I happen to have used DMUpdater pre 12 twice on Droid 1s, and it worked great. It's still out there. This forum has chosen to remove links to it... and respecting that I will not provide it either. (not in PM either).

I only fly helicopters, but I don't spread rumors because some kid on IRC told me to.

Ehud

I may have misspoke on the app in the market story too. It got suspended by Google in the market but the reasons why were not clear and I'll leave it at that.

I think it was Droidmod that was concerned the tool could brick a phone but you are right. With no stock SBF file you would be stuck. I had not seen a stock sbf file for the Droid X though, but I see one does exist: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/67299-droid-x-sbf-file.html and that thread existed the day before I made this post. Thanks for the enlightenment gavron!

So many posts, so little time:)

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Ok gavron, I acquiesce. I assumed that all the files needed for rooting a droid could in no way be contained within a 63k file. I assumed it operated just like the old droidmod updater wherein it used your data connection to download the proper files to your phone to root and then apply the SPRecovery image. Now I don't have a .xml viewer/editor, but I did see a http link conatined within main.xml and roms.xml. I saw the same address and the word "download" within AndroidManifest.xml but then again I'm just going on assumptions and poking around in the dark with only notepad. And when trying to go to said link, it went nowhere.

Thank you.

G

gavron

Ok gavron, I acquiesce. I assumed that all the files needed for rooting a droid could in no way be contained within a 63k file. I assumed it operated just like the old droidmod updater wherein it used your data connection to download the proper files to your phone to root and then apply the SPRecovery image. Now I don't have a .xml viewer/editor, but I did see a http link conatined within main.xml and roms.xml. I saw the same address and the word "download" within AndroidManifest.xml but then again I'm just going on assumptions and poking around in the dark with only notepad. And when trying to go to said link, it went nowhere.

Thank you.

I don't know how you did that... honestly... here is what I tried:
Code:
gavron@egxs2:/tmp/p/res/layout$ ls -alh *.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 gavron gavron 660 2010-07-29 22:54 main.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 gavron gavron 716 2010-07-29 22:54 roms.xml
gavron@egxs2:/tmp/p/res/layout$ strings *.xml
gavron@egxs2:/tmp/p/res/layout$ grep -ia http *.xml
gavron@egxs2:/tmp/p/res/layout$

E

keker

Reaction score
I have had Droidmod on my phone for sometime now..I was going to attempt to wipe the data with DMupdater and try to load a new rom using Rom manager... I cant get DMupdater to work now :/ Droidmod's web site is down and Im kinda in the dark..Can I use Rom manager to do everthing I need to do to instal a new rom?

G

gavron

I have had Droidmod on my phone for sometime now..I was going to attempt to wipe the data with DMupdater and try to load a new rom using Rom manager... I cant get DMupdater to work now :/ Droidmod's web site is down and Im kinda in the dark..Can I use Rom manager to do everthing I need to do to instal a new rom?

It would be helpful if you
a) listed what version you're running
b) read the sticky threads in this forum about rooting said version

I'm _guessing_ the answer is no.

E

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
@ gavron, try this way:
Code:
gavron@egxs2:/tmp/p/res/layout$ strings *.xml
gavron@egxs2:/tmp/p/res/layout$ grep -ia h t t p *.xml
Again, I really don't know what I'm doing, but the address had spaces between each character. I would get the whole address but I already deleted the .apk from my desktop, though I still have it elsewhere ;). Please let me know what you find out as I am curious and willing to learn more all the time.

Thanks

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Well gavron, I was awaiting to see if you could enlighten me more about whether there are acutally links contained within the now defunct dmupdater when I found this tidbit:

"When DMUpdater starts, it downloads an XML file from our server that lists all of the ROMs the app should display, and included in this file is the version information for the latest release of DMUpdater. If you are not using the latest version, the app will force you to update (historically, by sending users to the Android Market to encourage them donate $5 if they haven’t already). I used this feature to disable the leaked version of DMUpdater, but unfortunately this means that even people using the legitimately released DMUpdater 11 are no longer able to use the application. For a few days, before the problem was corrected, users of DMUpdater 11 would be sent to a screen that asked them for $20 for a new version of DMUpdater. What they were actually seeing is the ghost of an application in Market which is not actually published — in fact, if you tried to pay the $20, it wouldn’t even take your money."

Straight from the Camel's mouth. So thanks anyways, especially all the great info in post number 24.

:)