Do not open phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

unhappy_1

Reaction score
My Razr recently froze this weekend and with customer service closed and my only nearby verizon store with techs was closed, I attempted to remove the battery to restart the phone. I successfully removed the back cover with no problem and pulled the "remove battery" tab to remove the battery. I was unaware that the battery had a ribbon attaching it to the phone with two screws and busted the ribbon. I called verizon to send me a replacement battery and I was told that the phone was not to be opened and that voided the warranty. I explained that I was not notified that the phone was not to be opened. I went to the local store and was told that all tech were let go. The employee continued to tell me that the phone was just like an iphone and was not to be opened. I explained to him that I do not own an iphone and do not know how it operates. I also told him how was I supposed to handle the situation of the frozen phone without removing the battery and he was clueless and continues to tell me that I destroyed the phone and needed to pay full price for a new phone because is was not under warranty because of the broken ribbon. I explained that I was not told that I would void warranty if the phone was opened. The CSR on the phone was unhelpful and the employee at the store was rude and unhelpful now I am out of a phone and paying for a service I am unable to use because of a faulty phone and system.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe volume up + power would have reset the phone...same as battery pull

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Op sorry to hear but yes you did void your warranty becuase you are not to remove the back. With that said if you believe it to be a faulty battery you can order one and I believe this video could help you.

[video=youtube;78gJRP8NzRA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78gJRP8NzRA[/video]

brobox

Reaction score
As a suggestion that might help others, Verizon.com is open 24/7 with very good trouble shooting for the Razr. A battery pull is clearly explained using the power and volume buttons at the same time for 10 seconds. Sure beats breaking a $700. phone. DROID RAZR by Motorola Support

Hope you are able to find a replacement battery

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It's very unfortunate that you opened the back as it did void the warranty and neither Verizon nor Motorola will honor the warranty. Just for future reference, ANY phone back cover that requires the amount of pulling and wrenching to get it off that this phone (especially the adhesive fusing the back to the battery) requires should clue you into the fact that it was not meant to be removed by the owner. I am not trying to beat you up, just providing this information for any other owners who might be considering the same thing as you.

Since the battery is not "user replaceable", Motorola will not sell the battery to you, not now and quite possibly not ever. As of yet, I have been unable to find a third party dealer who sells either the original replacement battery (or clone) or an extended battery as many are looking to get. I do believe that the OEM battery, or at least a suitable replacement will surface sooner or later but it may still be too soon from the original release date for manufacturers to have designed and tooled up to build one.

There is the option to send it off to Motorola for repair, but this is likely to cost you in the realm of $200. That's surely less than the $800 the phone retails for. Below are two options for you from ebay that could yield both a battery for you and a spare unit you could either hold onto for parts or sell back again on eBay.

Good luck.

MOTOROLA DROID RAZR (VERIZON) PARTS OR REPAIR READ DESCRIPTION (723755000780) | eBay

Motorola Droid RAZR - 16GB - Black (Verizon) Smartphone (723755000780) | eBay

Einsteindks

Reaction score
My Razr broke the ribbon for me in a fall. I got some feelers out, I'll post any positive results. I was lucky and activated my DroidX out of retirement. I sorta miss the processor speed, but not the data drops! LOL

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I would echo FoxKat and find a used one on Ebay, maybe with the screen cracked or something that would knock the price of it down, and take that apart and get the battery out.

Reaction score
Just thought I would throw in some options...

1. Like the post above mine says, if you have insurance, you can put in a claim, pay the deductible and you are good. You could say you lost it but I don't know if that it's necessary because insurance covers anything you do so the fact that you opened the phone shouldn't matter because that voids your warranty and insurance had nothing to do with warranty. Again, I don't know for sure so you should check the insurance rules first.

No insurance?

2. You could cancel your contract and pay the $375 etf which is cheaper than buying a new phone at full price (as someone else mentioned on here)..... but if you wanted to open a new line and get another RAZR, you will pay about $300. So in the end you are basically paying full price.

3. Turn your account into a family share plan (if it isn't already), add a line and get the $299 contract price on a new RAZR, then find a cheap basic phone to activate on your new line so you can activate the RAZR on your original line, drop the data package on the new line once it has a basic phone on there. You end up paying $300 for a new phone and only add $10 to your monthly bill.

On a side note.... the other day I had to remove the back and manually power up the phone with spliced wires. One look at the battery and it is obvious that it is not made for user replacement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
U

unhappy_1

Reaction score
Thank you! I will try this when I receive my new phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.