Do not install maps update on your rezound

Xander Crews

Reaction score
So I checked my phone out...

ICS Stock
3.14.605.12 710RD

Google Maps

I updated Maps earlier today and after seeing this thread, I tried it out.

It rebooted my phone after about 20 seconds in the app.

I just uninstalled all updates for Maps which rolled it back to v.6.3.0.

That version works fine.

Snoking

Reaction score
cprice12 said:
So I checked my phone out...

ICS Stock
3.14.605.12 710RD

Google Maps

I updated Maps earlier today and after seeing this thread, I tried it out.

It rebooted my phone after about 20 seconds in the app.

I just uninstalled all updates for Maps which rolled it back to v.6.3.0.

That version works fine.

You can google 6.9.2, download it and be back the the latest "working" version

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Easier said than done.
I've searched and tried half a dozen links...none seem to be working.

Make that every link I have tried...like 14 or so. The links are either dead or it starts to download and fails.

Anyone have a good link?

coachdave

Reaction score
Maybe a fix for Google Maps crash?

No, actually it doesn't relate at all... I have one Rezound that was brand new a month ago and it does the same thing.

One issue here is SEVERAL things happened, all within a short period of time, ICS was released publicly for the Rezound, Google Maps was updates, Google Play changed the way send out updates (deltas only instead of full APKs), and several people have tried the new 4.3.605.2 RUU. There is something related to some combination of Official ICS (3.14.605.12), the new update deltas format, the new Maps version, and/or Rezound firmware on 3.14.605.10/12. Other combinations of Rezound using other firmware (GB, 3.14.605.5, 4.3.605.x) do not have this issue with rebooting. This does not seem related to hardware revision at all.

The heat/battery issue is something else entirely, it is most likely a kernel thing since it appears in 4.3.605.2 the issues are mostly resolved.

Hi Everyone,
I installed ICS yesterday on my HTC Rezound which I have had for about five months. Specifically, I have version 4.03 with HTC Sense 3.6 and software number 3.14.605.1271ORD. Google Maps was updated along with the ICS install, and today when I attempted to use it for the first time, it crashed and rebooted my phone everytime I tried to use it. So I went to Settings, selected Apps and then selected All. I scrolled down to Maps and selected Uninstall All Updates. I now have the original version of Maps, but it doesn't seem to cause a crash and reboot.

OP
TWC42

TWC42

Reaction score
Tried that. Doesn't work.
Is it possible that you have not gone into Settings, Security, and allowed download of apps from Unknown Sources? Make sure that box is checked, and then go back and uncheck it when you are done.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Is it possible that you have not gone into Settings, Security, and allowed download of apps from Unknown Sources? Make sure that box is checked, and then go back and uncheck it when you are done.
That wasn't it. I had that box checked.

It finally worked. It kept saying that the download had failed. But then it finally worked, or finished installing when I tried it again for like the 5th time. Not sure what the hangup was.

All is good. I guess I'll wait for an update of some kind.

I assume that when a new Google Maps update comes out, I'll be notified and it will update the version that I installed manually?

Xander Crews

Reaction score
That version appears to be built for a different device. When I install it, I lose text to speech for navigation. Drops back to simple directions without road names.

Alan

After I finally got it to download, that version worked fine for me. I see none of those issues.
Speech recognition works fine and I get road names.

Oh...and on a side note, recently when Maps was updated, the new voice rocks. Sounds like a real person and much less robotic than the previous voice.

acejavelin

Reaction score
That version appears to be built for a different device. When I install it, I lose text to speech for navigation. Drops back to simple directions without road names.

Alan
I am using EXACTLY this APK on my phone, and at my part time job of delivering pizza, and I use the voice navigation and speech recognition multiple times every night with no problems. I would suggest uninstalling any existing updates you have, reboot and download the APK again and install it (Make sure you have unknown sources enabled in your settings->security or it won't work properly). Also make sure you don't have Automatic Updates enabled for the Maps application on the Play Store, or it will all be for nothing anyway.

Last edited:

Snoking

Reaction score
cprice12 said:
That wasn't it. I had that box checked.

It finally worked. It kept saying that the download had failed. But then it finally worked, or finished installing when I tried it again for like the 5th time. Not sure what the hangup was.

All is good. I guess I'll wait for an update of some kind.

I assume that when a new Google Maps update comes out, I'll be notified and it will update the version that I installed manually?

The Play Store does not say what version is currently there. It is 6.25M, which might be a clue. You need to block automatic updates or it will install 6.10.0 again. Someone will post up when it is fixed or we will get a ICS update to fix it.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
The Play Store does not say what version is currently there. It is 6.25M, which might be a clue. You need to block automatic updates or it will install 6.10.0 again. Someone will post up when it is fixed or we will get a ICS update to fix it.
Yeah, I always block auto updates...I like to do them manually either individually or by the push button "Update All".
I'm not a fan of it updating 20 apps whenever it feels like it. I'd rather do that overnight when it's charging or when I know I won't be using my phone for a few minutes.

I'll wait for someone to announce when it's finished...or the ICS update. Cool, thanks dude.