Do I really need a file manager?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dork5002002, Jan 29, 2010.

1. dork5002002

dork5002002 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I notice that most custom apps like the htc_ime I just read about, say you should get a file manager to install the apk they provide. Is there any reason why I can't just use the install switch with adb? I figure that would be just as good, right?

I've used adb install to install my own apk files before. I just wasn't sure if there was a specific reason for using a file manager.

2. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey Dork,

You are an anomoly with a capital "A":) Most folks try and do everything under the sun to ditch adb. Seriously. Which is kinda scarey, as it is concievable to envision a situation where their sd card has a problem, they are in some kind of boot loop with their only access to the phone being sprecovery and adb. Especially right now where some folks are switching roms more frequently than probably changing underwear.

I guess if your comfortable doing everything from the PC side (or phone terminal), then technically there is no reason for a file manger on the phone. At this point in the rom game, most folks are not installing apps with file managers. They tend to remove them, disable and such. Along with using the file manger to see what is going on, on the phone's root (away from the sd card).

For me it would be like exploring my windows pc by bringing up a dos window and using dos commands to do "stuff". I can't even imagine doing this in any kind of productive way, but I can see how it could be done. I guess it is obvious I am not a linux user:)

Craig

3. Guchi

Guchi Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :icon_ rofl: i think the op should be fine without my help... but to anser your q's.
    no.
    yes

4. dork5002002

dork5002002 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What has been said supports what I was thinking. I don't have a physical phone and have been doing all my developing and playing on the emulator that comes with the android sdk. Using adb is much faster since I don't have a phone in my hands.

Even if I had a phone in my hands, I still think using adb to spawn a shell or somehow mounting the system partition myself would be more efficient.

5. Guchi

Guchi Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ^^^ What he said... all i heard was blah blah blah i'm blahblah smarter blah than blah blah you

6. Topsy

Topsy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use adb more often than not , it's definitely faster than having to mount and unmount the sdcard card repeatedly , wait for windows to index the drive, navigating menu's on the cpu and the phone.

Adb does it all through one interface without all the extra work.

Search tags for this page
do i need a file manager

do i need a file manager for my phone

do i need file manager on my phone
do i need j file manager

do i need jfilemanager

do i require a file manager?

do you need a file manager?

why do i need a file manager

why do you need a file manager
why do you want file managers