Do I need?

Discussion in 'Team Chaos' started by n0m0n, Apr 27, 2010.

1. n0m0n

n0m0n Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For those who didn't know I have been having major responsiveness issues.
    When I power on it takes minutes for any screen swipe to become responsive.

Since switching to the home ( screen) launcher my device has been a bit more receptive.
    BUT I have been going through that app's that I have been running in an attempt to identify what could be bogging down my device.

I have found that I have these issues on other rom's so this is in no way this rom's issue but hope I can find software issues...

Ok I am running a app called: Lookout which is a anti-virus, backup, missing device app.
    I really don't depend on the backup and haven't as of yet needed to relocate my device because I haven't lost it. :) :) :).
    When I download a app from market place you see the anti-virus part scanning and claiming that the app is safe..
    Nice and comforting but is it needed?

I singled out this app because I get FC's all the time.

Also I is there a way, or app, for me to see what it starting up in the background when I first boot on?
    I know that Drivesafe.ly is and think that could be alot of my problem to start with.

If you have any additional ideas I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To tell you the truth, I don't think you need all that extra junk, like anti-virus apps or even task managers. I have a rooted droid with tons of apps and lots of customization... yet I let the android system handel tasks and it is working fast and flawlessly. I'd say drop the 'safety' stuff and see how your Droid works for ya...

3. n0m0n

n0m0n Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So how do I find what is starting up on the front end of the boot?
    Drivesafe.ly does start up in the bootup but it is a app that speaks callerID's, received emails, SMS's received and nice when your driving.

BUT...

Lookout is going probably.

What can I do to find what is bogging down the bootup?

Other wise I would be removing all the apps and im not sure that is required is it?

Thanks

4. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, I guess I don't know what to tell you. Someone else can help I am sure, but I just don't know how to do this. I only have one major downloaded app that runs all the time from startup and it is aFirewall (blocks blacklisted calls and sms)

5. Dustinmj

Dustinmj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use an app called 'autostarts'... it's available on the market and works very well. Only catch is that you need root to disable apps from automatically starting at boot.

6. ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle Android Addict
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    One thing that I've read is that anti-virus apps on here can hog system resources... you might try running without that for a bit to see if it changes... just a suggestion to try and eliminate the app as a possible source.

7. n0m0n

n0m0n Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice app well worth the .91.

Thanks

8. n0m0n

n0m0n Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I removed the anti-virus app and the device got a lot quicker...

Now the thought is is a anti-virus app needed nt this day?

Thanks

9. SteveC

SteveC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Try going into spare parts. From there go to transition animations. Be sure you don't have very slow checked for some wierd reason. I had a similar issue, but not quite as bad as you describe, checked fast and all was well.

Hmmm...don't know now that I said that if spare parts is part of the Chaos ROM. I might have done that in Jrummy's ROM, which I have on the phone at the moment. At any rate check to see. :)

10. ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle Android Addict
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Common thinking is that there is no need for an anti-virus app on the android platform yet as there are no viruses that target it yet. Not to say that someday there won't be, but right now, I wouldn't run one. Especially since every review of them I've seen has mentioned just how much they slow down the whole phone.

11. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +0
    No antivirus app needed. They are known resource hogs and bog the phone down unneccesarily. They have also been known to cause erratic behaviour, so all in all you're much better off without it. ;)