Do I need to do a factory reset.

gmdoggies

Reaction score
Hey all I have a Droid2 unrooted witht the most recent update. Latel my phone has gotten really slow. It also gets real hot when using Pandora or listening to other music. I have deleted lots of apps to see if it was causing a problem, but that didn't work. Do I need to do a factory reset?

If so how do I do it. I found out where on the phone but what happens after I click it? Do I need to go back to verizon to set my phone back up? Will it remember my phone number? I know I will lose apps not worried about that but will I get the apps I paid for back from the market? Does it remember that I bought them?

Thanks for any help. Don

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Khiraji

Reaction score
Doing a factory reset restores your phone to the condition it was in when you (or the VZW store rep) took it out of the box and turned it on. Every phone has a unique ID that is stored in your VZW account on their end, so no matter what you do to that phone - unless you upgrade - it will always be yours and will remember your number. After a factory reset, you'll have to do everything you did when you first got it, starting with setting up your Google account. Apps you paid money for are stored in your Google account and will be re-downloaded to your phone, but free apps will not. Unless you back them up, you'll also lose all your texts (large bummer for some). Also, you'll lose any and all saved data for games - I had to restore my phone unexpectedly and lost ~2 months of progress into a 3-star run of Angry Birds. Not a big deal for some, but that angered me :p. Data on your SD card is untouched.

Were you to root, you could use an app called Titanium Backup to preserve all of your data. While there is nothing inherently dangerous about rooting, the possibilities it opens up can be dangerous if applied recklessly. However, if you don't really care about that or have your data backed up via some other means, then go for it.

OP
G

gmdoggies

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried it yet. Maybe later today.

OP
G

gmdoggies

Reaction score
Finally got around to doing a factory reset and everythings ok! Droid2 is faster than it's been in a long time.