Do I need "Tether" or can I tether my Droid already?

PaulQ

Reaction score
On my Blackberry, you could tether your phone to your computer using a bunch of techie settings or buy the program "Tether" and it would do it easily.

Is is the same case for my new Droid? (Android v2.2)

Thanks!

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
you need an app called, either Easytether, PDANet, or Tether

I'm not sure about Tether. Easytether and PDANet have free trials but you can't access https sites on PDANet ever, and Easytether has a 30 day trial then locks https sites.

I used the 9.99 easytether

Now, I downloaded z4root, and rooted my phone with the press of ONE button.
downloaded wireless tether off the market for free

now I tether wirelessly, free of charge and there are no https restrictions.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
...and, of course, you can pay Verizon as an option.

dktrue

Reaction score
PDAnet

I have been using PDAnet and then paid their one-time fee of (for now, anyway) $15.95 and it works wonderfully!

it will let you access all sites if you pay the fee, after the 2 week trial.
We just spent a week in FL at a campsite with no internet-but a great phone signal, and were surfing, uploading to Facebook, etc. all week long.

I have a Droid2

conecraft

Reaction score
So if I'm understanding correctly.. I can tether my Verizon Droid X using Easytether or PDANet,,, and use my DX as a hotspot without being charged the Verizon WIFi hotspot fees... I assume it just shows up as "data" to Verizon... but not as the billable WiFi hotspot that Verizon sticks me with if I use the app loaded on my phone OEM. RIGHT?!

dktrue

Reaction score
Yes, so far-that's what I have done; I used it for a week while we were camping in FL and it worked very well with my Droid2.
You install the software on laptop and phone, and enable tethering on the phone--very easy to set up and use for me.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wait! No! PDANet and EasyTether are wired data options. In order to use wireless tethering, or making your DX a wireless hotspot, it has to be rooted.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Wait! No! PDANet and EasyTether are wired data options. In order to use wireless tethering, or making your DX a wireless hotspot, it has to be rooted.

...which raises a question in my mind. I *have* a rooted Droid X, and are you saying I don't need any type of app installed to make it a wireless hotspot?

-Mike

Droids

Reaction score

...which raises a question in my mind. I *have* a rooted Droid X, and are you saying I don't need any type of app installed to make it a wireless hotspot?

-Mike
If you have a rooted Droid, just grab the free WirelessTether app from the market. You do need an app, and this one works just fine.

mewshi

Reaction score
No, afaik, you still need an app to make a wifi hotspot. The functionality is not built into the OS.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
+1 for Easytether.

The only downside is that you have to have a usb plugged in for it to work, but hey you charge your phone at the same time so not too bad of a downside. You just gotta have a usb cable on you when you decide to use it.

You can also root and do wireless tether, but I don't know much about that so i'm not going to get into it, other than saying that I might possibly take this root in the future once the new root comes out for my Incredible.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
+1 for Easytether.

The only downside is that you have to have a usb plugged in for it to work, but hey you charge your phone at the same time so not too bad of a downside. You just gotta have a usb cable on you when you decide to use it.

You can also root and do wireless tether, but I don't know much about that so i'm not going to get into it, other than saying that I might possibly take this root in the future once the new root comes out for my Incredible.

What "new" root are you talking about? For the Incredible, I mean.

-Mike