Do i need an aftermarket rom?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by neemo6, Feb 13, 2010.

1. neemo6

neemo6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I like many others purchased the sholes updater mod, and have been using it now for about a week. At first i was thrilled with the app as it was a great time saver. Now I just run into trouble left and right with it. I get a ton of FC's all day long from apps to the phone service itself, screen becomes very unresponsive, have had to to about 3 battery pulls since installing, battery life has diminished drastically, phone just seems all around sluggish and this is with it oc to 800ghz, it struggles when switching screens. Overall regret getting the sholes rom. The main thing I wanted when I switched to droid from a winmo was wifi tether. I got it but was extremely dissapointed as to how hot it made the phone, it got dangerously hot. Now my question is can I have a stock rom, yet have the phone rooted to OC the cpu and possibly use a different wifi tether app? Or do I have to have an aftermarket rom such as a sholes or bb in order to run these types of apps? My main concern is smooth running wifi tether, only reason i wanted to root. What options do I have.

2. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You have the option to return completely to stock and install Bugless Beast. There are about 3 members just in the last couple of days that had nothing but problems with Sholes and switched to BB. Check out the first link in my signature...it should get you started. Everything you need to know is right there.

3. neemo6

neemo6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does the wifi tether on it heat up the phone?

4. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If my phone is running WiFi tether with the screen on full brightness at 1GHz overclock but NOT charging, my phone does not get above 97F.

5. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend you uninstall all added apps or list them here what you are using.

Then set the min CPU speed to 250 min and the max to 800 or 1000. This should and will most likely make the lag of switching screens go away.

Also what home are you using? Launcher? or the regular home?

6. neemo6

neemo6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Currently using home++ as a home screen.

7. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would remove that for starters and any other home screen app... they all have bugs and trouble from my experience.

8. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed on this point for sure.

9. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    IF Home++ is causing problems it's from a conflict with another program (which is what should be removed). I've been using the lastest Home++ since the last release and have had 0 problems with it (running Bugless Beast 7.5, but it was flawless on .7.4 too). So any problems/instability are likely being caused by another app and not Home++ directly. But then that seems to be the case in about 99% of cases were something's not working right. Only time Home++ FCs on me is if I try to do something to soon after a boot (while it's still loading a few things).

Google really needs to address the issue of app conflicts one way or another.

10. kristoff125

kristoff125 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the stock home app is good enough, home++ should be called lag++ or fc++, I really haven't bothered with sholes, but I can't complain about bugless, I've been using it for a week or so now at 1.1ghz and 0 problems.

11. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Considering it's open source and Google isn't going to monitor every application put out, how are they going to address an issue of bad software design?

I realize not EVERY app is poorly written but I'm sure there are enough badly written apps that can cause plenty of problems by not playing nice with other apps.

I have to agree that running any home replacement lags out the phone, but I've read plenty of people having success on OC phones because it helps iron out the lag problems that most home replacements have.

I have the SMUpdater on my phone, I went back to stock because I was anticipating the OTA 2.1.... I think I went stock too soon.

I rarely had problems with Sholes, but that was before everyone started reporting problems.

I think when I re-root I'll try Simply Stunning or BB. SS is in it's infancy as ROM, but looks good so far. BB is just... well, it's a beast for all I've heard. :p

Most of the long standing members here who have rooted have gone BB and I would trust that considering they eat, sleep and live this phone and forums.

12. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I need to get a ****ing life. I know that was a shot at me. ;)

13. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0

LOL. I don't think I was taking pot shots perse, but you are here a lot. ha ha.

But then again, it's nice to have someone who has put some time into managing a thread for a product they believe in. And you do your best to help people out. So that's not a bad thing. Besides, you can do 99% of that from your phone! lol

14. joeymoose

joeymoose Member

Ratings:
    +0
    BBeast is the best. Once 2.1 officially drops Pete will make sure all the updates and tweaks are incorporated in Beast. I don't see a reason to un-root for this update.

15. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well as long as I am interested in the phone, I will be here a lot. I have learned a lot, I have tried to pass on a lot via the forum. Also reading just about every new thread that pops up I get an idea of what programs are out there, problems people are having, trends in problems, etc.