Do I need a screen protector or case?

baldybill

Reaction score
Okay, here's my debate: Do I need a screen protector or a case?

My tablet does not slide (the back is grippy).
I generally carry it in a brief case
I'm careful not to set anything on the screen.

Should I get anything like a case or screen prot? If so, what kind for this type of situation?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It's really up to you if you think any type of protection is necessary. It depends on what else you keep in your briefcase and if it poses a possible danger to your tablet.

If you're not up for spending alot of money there are quite a few cheaper cases available online. Maybe find a cheap TPU case with a cover or something to protect the glass on it.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Dezy summed it up nicely. We use "flip cover" cases on our Nexus 7 tablets. I'm not a fan of this style case for a phone, but it's great for a tablet. Not only is it great for protection, but opening the flip cover automatically activates the screen and closing it puts it to sleep. It also flips over to turn it into a stand that has three adjustment levels.
You can find them online from 20 to 50 bucks.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

tap'n on my S5

OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
Do you find that the "flip cover" case takes away from the thin-ness of the tablet or adds too much bulk?
If not, which "flip case" do you use?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah, it does add a little bulk. I really didn't think I would like it initially, but since it's on my tablet the thinness factor isn't really an issue since I won't be putting it in my pocket anyways.
The brand I use is Caseen. There are a bunch of different brands though, so you might have to search Google or Amazon for different styles, colors & pricing to suit your needs.

tap'n on my S5

P

promo87

Okay, here's my debate: Do I need a screen protector or a case?

My tablet does not slide (the back is grippy).
I generally carry it in a brief case
I'm careful not to set anything on the screen.

Should I get anything like a case or screen prot? If so, what kind for this type of situation?

Well, I would potentially say over here why don't you get both of them instead of getting onto the debate. I would say the screen protector would always protect your screen form scratches and the case can help you with saving your device body from minor scratches.

P

promo87

I use my Android phone without a case for the first month, but later I changed my mind to get one to well protect it.

Yeah protecting device is always recommended sometimes you ran yourself across situation where you are surely going to feel the need of having a case as well as ... :)

sheyluke

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Ultra
I think as long as your carful you do not need a screen. I would defiantly get a screen protector though

nuyucaides

Reaction score
Maybe find a cheap TPU case with a cover or something to protect the glass on it.
pLGLz1

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Dezy summed it up nicely. We use "flip cover" cases on our Nexus 7 tablets. I'm not a fan of this style case for a phone, but it's great for a tablet. Not only is it great for protection, but opening the flip cover automatically activates the screen and closing it puts it to sleep. It also flips over to turn it into a stand that has three adjustment levels.
You can find them online from 20 to 50 bucks.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

tap'n on my S5
I have one of these myself for my Nexus 7. I only use it when traveling/bringing the tablet somewhere in public with me. Other than those times, it's always naked.

As others have said, it's kind of a personal preference thing though whether you need either. I'm not a fan of screen protectors. Gorilla Glass is quite strong and scratch resistant if you've got it and I've yet to find a screen protector that looks just as good as the bare screen, even when professionally applied with no bubbles or imperfections.

For your purposes, I think maybe just a "sleeve" would work nicely. A pouch, zippered or closed with a draw string that you can quickly slip the tablet into before putting it in your briefcase and quickly slide it out of when it's time to use it. This way, you get all-around protection while in transit, but maintain the thinness of the device while you're using it for extended periods of time.

Just my two cents though. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Bearbaby

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone5
i prefer to choose one protector...

luvarcher

Reaction score
Screen protectors are lightweight yet tough against scratches and scuffs so I'd rather choose this if I have to but if I can afford then I'll have both case and screen protector.